Poor Gas Milelage - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Poor Gas Milelage

So I looked at my trip the other day (I tend to rest it EACH time I get gas) and it reads ~150 miles. I then look at my gas gauge, it says 1/4 tank. I claculate this out and it say ~10 mpg. WOW. Thats terrible. I know that my gas gauge isn't very accurate, but it would have to be reading around 1/2 tank or so to have 150 on the trip usually. Now, for the past week its been right at or just below 0. I drive on average, about 10 blocks in the morning and 10 in the afternoon-to and from the commuter lot here at school. Now I know that I usually don't get my regular 22-24 mpg highway that I do in town, but its usually around 17-18 in town. I usually don't let my car woarm up too much, maybe a minute or so, before I go anywheres, unless it is REALLY cold out, so it sitting and sucking gas is kind of out. Any ideas where my gas is going?? And this is the 3rd winter I've had the cat, this has never happened b/f. Maybe clean MAF and something else??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Astrophysicist / PostWhore

When was the last time you had a tune up? As you said, it is probably a good place to start with the MAF clean / EEC reset. It probably would not hurt to put in a new fuel filter.

At least you can say you use gas like a Ferrari ... or something.

Mike | RSW | THP | MF | SRTConnection |

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX V8 + 1992 Ford Mustang hatchback + 1989 Ford Mustang notchback = no where else to park at my house!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 07:28 PM

I drove 10 miles and it took me 2 hours in west LA on a regular basis and I was getting 10mpg Went on a trip down to San Deigo and got 25mpg at 85mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 08:02 PM
PostWhore

I just filled up.
232 miles on 18.0 gallons(I was on fumes) = 12.8 miles per gallon.
All in-town. No highway miles. Three or four mornings with a 5-7 minute warm-up.
I remember a thread in which someone was talking about some gasoline companies using a different formula? during the colder months, resulting in lower MPG.

Yeah, clean the MAF, clean or replace air filter, replace fuel filter, maybe replace spark plugs.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

So I just went out tonight to get some batteries and filled up with premium (again (chip)) but anyways had 160 miles on 14 gallons ~ 11.5 mi/gal. I was thinking about new plugs the other day b/c it started to miss at a stop sign but then corrected itself. it starts to do that right before it fouls 2 plugs and burns up a wire. its happened to me twice now, but anyways thanks for the replies. also, what about O2 sensors. if they're going bad, would that cause real poor mileage? i've got ~122,000 on it so they have went throung a bunch of exhaust.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 11:35 PM

If your only driving 10 blocks and it's 0 I would say its probably pretty likley that your not getting inot closed loop cause your not warming up enough.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 12:38 AM

closed loop is based on time
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

So either way, I'm not running it long enough to get it into a closed loop and while the engine is not warm yet, it should be running a bit rich, using all of my gas up, correct? that would seem to be a very logical explanation to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in