remote start... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

remote start...

Hey everyone,

Not that I have the bucks to do it, but just curious:

1) can a remote start be installed in 97 t-bird?
2) if yes, what's the best place to get/do it?dealer?
3) how much would it cost?
4) would love any comments from anyone who's already done it...

Thanks .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 04:47 PM

1) Yes it will work...as long as 94 wiring is same as 97. I doubt its any different
2) Best place to get one...Walmart or the like. Many places carry these. Mine is a Bulldog Remote starter w/keyless entry and trunk option. Not sure of the model number. PM me if you want to know. And put in in your self. You'll get raped if you have someone else do it unless you pay them in beers.
3) I believe that mine is down to ~$40-$50. Cheaper than they used to be
4) Comments-This is a project that you should not expect to do in two hours. Give your self at least a full day, or more depending on your familiarity of wiring. It took me roughly 6 hours to do over a two day time span. Finding the right wires was not a big deal, the hardest and most time consuming was stripping and connecting. Although it took that long it was rewarding to get it done. I've had mine in for two years now and no problems. One piece of advice-if you get one with a hood pin switch--DO NOT use the pin switch. just omit it. it will work fine.

If you want a copy of the directions to see how hard they are let me know. i can scan them in

Joe
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

whitecoug,

Thanks so much for the great advice/info.
I'll definitely get in touch with you if I decide to get one.

I wish I knew more how to do stuff on cars...i''m very new to the DIY world.-))
btw, how is the range of your remote?

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 10:47 PM

The remote was the absolute first thing I ever did with my Cougar, beside for changing the oil, and the only automotive wires I had ever messed with before were on my '57 Ford pickup, which were just plug and play-not fuse panel, etc. I thought I did pretty well on it too. Once you get under the dash you get to know the wires real fast and you feel real comfortable doing it.

The range on my remote starter is ~150 ft give or take. It works well for me since our parking lot for my apartment is just outside the window. You can get an extended range remote as a package that will reach up to about 400 ft.

Here's the link to the site http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew...tarterpage.htm

Mine is the Model RS1100, the 1100E is the extended range one.

Here is a link to the manual so you can see how to go about doing this
http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/Model...-1100E-114.pdf

It is actually a lot easier than it looks. They also include an installation video with it. It's actually pretty good. All the required materials, ie tape, zip ties are included. You will only need a couple of wrenches and screwdrivers to do it all.

And here's the wiring chart for your 97, so you get an idea of where you would be digging in the car for all the wires
http://bulldogsecurity.com/New%20Wir...undbd96-97.htm

The place they have linked to buy these online is a rip, they're asking $90 for one. At the local Bomgaars they sell them for $45 I believe. Not sure if you have those in the south or not, maybe something to look into.

And again, just b/c this messed mine up, do NOT use the hood pin switch. It is a safety device but it's not worth the trouble.

If you got anymore questions don't be afraid to give out a holler

Joe
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 04:12 AM
Sheepish

Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AverageJoe
I've got the Viper ESP550 alarm system with remote start, and believe me, its wonderful. Its nice having the anti-theft of the alarm at the same time. I dropped 4 and a half bones on it (full professional installation included) and I've had it nearly two years now. Would hate to live without it now.

B Team - More skill, more results. A is only a starting point before progressing to B.

Member of the 'B-Team'. Finishing jobs the 'A-Team' can't handle.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 02:59 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Blaze
150 Feet? The audiovox remote start kit for my Trailblazer is 1000 ft. I personally would stay away from the wal-mart kits. Something like that is better to have professionally installed. Viper is probaly the best on the market. There are some that will start your car on a preset timer, nice if you work at a place where the parking lot is more than a 1000 ft from your work area (I have 15 min walk from my car to my timeclock). I am not saying the Bulldogs are bad, I have never had one, but the guy that did my TrailBlazer said a lot of them don't communicate well with your tach wire. And You should use the hood safety switch, that way a kid or any unknowing person takes your 2nd remote and tries to start your car while you working under the hood.

Bradley Blaze
I'd Love to Live Life in the Fast Lane, but I'm Married to a Speed Bump
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 04:43 AM

I have a Viper on my Cougar and it works great... 1000 foot range... totally awesome... keyless entry, trunk pop, gas door pop, and it even rolls up/down the windows...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 09:20 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to chrisnack
It's not too hard to install if you are semi-familiar with wiring.

And yes you should be using a hood switch of some sort. The pin switches break very easily, I'd recommend a mercury switch. Same as with an alarm, otherwise the hood can be popped and it's just one step easier to disable the alarm. Truth is that no alarm is going to stop a professional, but it will stop the dumb kids.

NSN Motorsports
http://www.nsnmotorsports.com
"Fordless" - But I do have alot of Mercon V laying around...
'96 Eagle Talon ESI

Parts ---> Dan Newman - Town & Country Ford - 800-847-2047

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in