Fuse/Fuse Box problem - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Fuse/Fuse Box problem

Good afternoon everybody,

First thing first. I'm new to the forums and finally after getting the upmost fed up with the car and my friend forcing me to do so. I've finally signed up here to get help.

Right now I'm sporting a 1995 Ford Lincoln Continental. About 6 months ago out of no where there has been one fuse that always just pops. By pop I'm meaninmg you get a fuse, look at it and you see the metal in it snapped in two. It isn't one of the big fuses, but it's the small ones. Like a 10-15Amp one that is about 1/4-1/2 an inch in size. It is always just the ONE fuse that gives up.

It's been taken to many shops and they don't have a single clue, even the Lincoln Dealership in Costa Mesa has no clue. The problem was bad, but then faded away. Now it's coming back and coming back hard. Early this week I bought 10 fuses. Two five packs cost of 6 dollars. And just now today I ran out. -_-

When I say it's getting worse, I mean worse by at times when I try putting the fuse in. Even after the car has been cooled down for a while, it SPARKS. Kind of ironic that I'm putting a fuse in and it sparks then I look just a tad bit up and see a "DIEHARD" battery right next to it.

I'm thinking it's a bare wire touching something, but I have no clue why it's acting up.

Strange Occurances when the fuse pop:

-Was at a light with my left blinker on then *Battery light* = Fuse died

-Chillin at a light this morning and then no reason *battery light* = Fuse died

-Make a right turn to and go up a small bump..can you guess? Yup Battery light = Fuse died

-When down a small bump in the road and *battery light* = Fuse died

Just too many occurances. Any help?

Car is a V8 with a 4.6L if that helps at all. I haven't been straining her, just chillin somewhere or easily cruisin and *battery light.* Haha

Finally fed up,
Travis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 05:41 PM

This may be a stupid question but... have you tried using a fuse in that slot that can handle more power? Like putting a 25 or 30 in the same slot to see if it doesn't blow? Maybe I'm crazy but that was just my first thought.... was worth saying something I suppose.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

I was told not to because I heard if it has too much amp it can really wreck it.

*sniff* I losing/lost two babies.
My gf Sarah and my car. I made a quick trip to PepBoys to pick up some fuses...was barely able to afford those and I fried 3 out of 10 fuses so far and the car wouldn't start. I had to get a guy to jump it for me. And while on the ride home, I saw the lights inside of the car dim (like the clock light, radio and the dash). *cries*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 07:28 PM
The Parts Guy

Which fuse is it exactly? As in, what circuit is the fuse in? Is it in the fuse box, or on some random wire coming from the battery?

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

It's in the fuse box. Power distributor.

If I drive too long with the fuse out, it starts draining the battery.
When the fuse out, I have about 30 minutes of drive time without the replacement.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 09:36 PM
Anything But Typical

Send a message via AIM to BambiRambino47
Check which fuse it is. I will put money it is the fuse to the voltage regulator of the altenator. That would be the only thing I can think of that would cause your battery to die after it blows. Look into getting a new altenator ($250 ish from autozone with core charge). Check to see if they sell the volage regulator seperately.

--Craig
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

This has already been checked and it isn't that.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 10:37 PM
PostWhore

What number fuse is it in the power distribution box? (They're numbered, right? If they're labeled, that would help too. ) If you can figure that out, maybe someone can tell you where to check for shorts.

Oh, and don't replace the fuse with something higher ... you might burn up wires or something else that isn't built to handle 25A of current. The fuse is just there to protect the rest of the circuit from overloading.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

I can't get to the fuse atm since it's late...and I have way too many things on my mind and they shouldn't be there

but i know where it is in my mind..
*thinks*

There are 3 sets
1) Big fuses
2) Small fuses
3) Medium fuses

it would be below 1 *big block ones*
First row...in the center
so ya..if u got the same car i do..take a look at that hahah
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 10:57 PM

Like I said... maybe I'm crazy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in