altenator problem? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Question altenator problem?

My car died on me last night while waiting for a light. It just stopped running and gave a clunk sound. Earlier in the evening there was a clicking type sound. I had the car towed to my brother's house, ti wold not start again. This afternoon I went over and tried to start the car. I turned the key and it turned for a few seconds then started. Then smoke started coming from the hood. I turned the car off and opened the hood and had my cousin start the car while I looked under the hood. The smoke was coming from the altenator.

Is this normal for an altenator to smoke when it fails?
Will an altenator from a 3.8 fit a 4.6?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 08:06 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

sounds like your alt failed, and you drained your battery. No you can't use a 3.8L alt, but the 4.6L alts are easy to find. www.car-part.com

You may need a new battery if the current one is old, but it sounds like it re-charged itself, so you should be fine there.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 01:17 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
my alternator just crapped out on me today on the way to work......just stopped working.....didn't even have the bass amps hooked up in the last week....good thing the POS had a lifetime warranty with Autozone

it sure was fun pushing down on a hot tensioner pulley with my hand to loosen the belt to take it off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 11:17 AM

Good luck with the tensioner; I had to use a socket drive and break over bar to loosen mine.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

I found an altenator for $50.00 and I am going to attempt to put it on myself. What tools are required and how long should it take?
It's cold up here and today is the best day to do it weather wise.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 12:56 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally posted by cdub's xr7
I found an altenator for $50.00 and I am going to attempt to put it on myself. What tools are required and how long should it take?
It's cold up here and today is the best day to do it weather wise.
all you need is a socket set to remove the bottome bolts of the alternator, and the top one in near the back that holds on to the intake manifold bracket

other than that just gotta loosen up that tensioner pulley with a 1/2" socket drive, or push down on it with one hand like i did, until it loosend the belt enough to pull it off the alt with the other free hand.....and just pull out the two plugs carefully by using a small flat blade screwdriver to release the clips that secure them......its obvious when you actually do out and do it

oh....just remember to disconnect the power cable that goes to the distribution box at the Mega fuse first

all in all, it took 5 mins to take it completely out the car
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

I also want to change the belt while I'm at it.
How difficult is the belt to change?
Do I have to remove any parts?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

I changed the belt and removed the altenator. not as difficult as I thought. when I changed the altenator the plugs didn't match up. Could I switch plugs from the old one? or should I bring the whole thing back?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

you should take it back....far as i know, the alt that came with 4.6s remain unchanged, so they should all fit...if yours doesn't i would question it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in