TCCoA Forums banner

Are breathers worth anything???

700 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  billabong132 
#1 ·
Im going to be doing the headswap in a couple week here and was thinking of removing the PCV and the breather on the drivers side and placing breather valve in those places instead. Are they really worth anything on the 4.6L engines? Or will it just look nice under there?

#2 ·
from what i've heard , a breather on the crankcase on only one side (like driver side) will allow unmetered air to enter the system.......you'd have to eliminate the whole PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system and replace both w/ breathers (which you seemed to infer you were going to do ).......

not sure why you'd want to do this, but you can,......if it's legal in your state (for most it's not)

#3 ·
I thought of doing it simply because Im gonna be to lazy to hook it all back up. Its easier just to throw some breathers in and cap off the couple vacuum lines on the intake. And it looks cool. Im not worried about anything being legal. In Illinois for emissions they just hook up a computer to the car and see if there are any check engine lights on. If not then you pass.

#4 ·
You dont want to remove your PVC....

I did that to a 5.0 I had and I blew it up.No Sh!t.It was getting to much pressure in the crank case and did something to my rings and BAM!!!!! Blew it up.You can replace the oil fill with a K&N breather but i never saw or felt any gains from it.It does look better under the hood with them though.
Chris

#6 ·
I thought that too....

BlackTbird96 said:
Wouldn't the breathers let more air out then the PCV?
I really cant explain how it works but it seemed to hold it in instead of letting it out.I did mine and another friend did his at the same time,he lucked out by only blowing his rear main seal out.It builds alot of pressure in your crankcase and I seiously wouldnt do it.
Chris

#7 ·
alot of people have put a breather on the valve cover on the drivers side (Which is just a breather that sucks in air from the tube.

BUT DO NOT RUN WITHOUT A PCV VALVE!

as others have said, your engine will blowup.

THE FORD SHOP MANUAL FOR OUR CARS SAYS YES THE ENGINE WILL APPEAR TO RUN FINE WITHOUT A PCV BUT WILL ULTIMATELY FAIL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.