Rattling noise during WOT - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Rattling noise during WOT

My '97 4.6L bird makes a rattling noise when under WOT. The noise sounds like it's coming from somewhere around the transmission. Is this a common problem, and can anyone tell me what it is? Alternatively, could someone suggest how I might get more useful information to describe it?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 01:10 AM
2nd Gear Poster

does it feel like it vibrates alot of the car, if it does it might be a transmission mount
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 07:15 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

easy and cheap....see if your convertor heatshields are loose.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Cougarr and Greenbird. I don't feel any vibration at all when the rattling occurs. I'll check out the heatshield.... any more ideas?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 12:05 AM
6th Gear Poster

Yup

I agree with the heatshield thing...I had a noise that was a vibration...sort of like vibrating metal..didn't bother me much, it only happened when i was going up hill on a turn fast...* months later, i find out it was a heat shield...just welded it and no more noise.

BeirutsFinest
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 02:22 AM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

VERY important question:

You say you hear it at WOT. This means that when you hit Wide Open Throttle, you're hearing this "rattling" noise. Does it occur at all RPMs or just a particular RPM range?

The reason I ask is simple. If you don't know what you're hearing is detonation, you could easily attribute it to something else. One way to know is when you hear it, back off the gas slightly. If it goes away, it probably is detonation (or "pinging"). If it's indeed a vibration induced rattle, it'll still happen as the RPMs climb. However, if you're pinging, you need to find out why and fix it. Detonation will hurt your motor eventually. Period.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, good point. The rattling seems to occur only at WOT, say around 4k RPM or so. That's the only time that my RPM's get over about 3k. I'll try running it at high RPM's but not WOT, and see if the rattling continues. I'll also try running some higher-octane gas on my next tank and see if the rattling stops.

This problem first began occurring about 6 months or a year ago. That was the same time that I started getting "check engine light" warnings about running lean. Do running lean and detonation frequently occur together?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 09:11 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamyam
Do running lean and detonation frequently occur together?
ABSOLUTELY! Running lean is the number one cause of detonation. Second would be too much spark advance, but that's not gonna be your problem. The only other potential cause would be a hot spot in your cylinder, but I'm guessing it's just running lean.

Increase your octane, replace your fuel filter if it's got more than 15,000 miles on it, and or get your injectors cleaned.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 09:35 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir William
Increase your octane, replace your fuel filter if it's got more than 15,000 miles on it, and or get your injectors cleaned.
and I doubt he means "injector cleaner" in a bottle. I think my mechanic charged me $30 to clean all 6 injectors on my 89. I figured it couldn't hurt since they were 10 years old.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Yikes.... it's gotta be detonation.

I've just dug out my maintenance records... here's the complete background: I've got about 36k miles on the car right now. I got my first "check engine" due to running lean at 33k miles in May02, and fixed it by replacing the fuel filter (did it myself, hurrah!). I got another "check engine" from running lean a few months later, and fixed it by adding a bottle of injector cleaner and avoiding the cheapo gas stations since then. I've just gotten my third "check engine" warning, also for running lean. I can't say for certain when I first noticed the rattling noise, but I think it was at about the same time that I got the first running-lean warning.

Any idea why my low-mileage, nearly-stock '97 bird is running lean with detonation? Is there anything I should be doing to keep the injectors clean? I normally use 87 octane gas from any name-brand station (but I'll be using higher octane until this is resolved).

Thanks for all the info, I think you've just saved me from some major problems down the road Could you point me towards some info on why running lean causes detonation? It seems kinda counterintuitive to me.

Last edited by Yamyam; 10-08-2002 at 01:51 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in