Resonator question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Question Resonator question

Can I remove the resonator of my '93 LX without affecting the car's performance or well-functioning? I already removed the three cats and put a pair of two-chamber 40 series Flowmasters in the back. I want true dual exhaust, which means removing the resonator. Any known problem after doing this mod?
I´m asking this because the guy at the shop told me I could have valvetrain problems after removing it.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 08:45 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Danimal
hehehe, no. You've already removed the important stuff (the cats). The guy may be thinking in terms of backpressure...i dunno. It's true that you can loose low end performance by removing pack pressure, but you've already got a free flowing system, so you may as well remove it.

If you do run your car as true duals, don't go too big on the dia. of pipe (i'm assuming you have only minor motor mods) because then it can hurt performance even worse.

I bet it sounds awesome!
-danimal

Webmaster of www.danimalrocks.com
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, you're right, he told me something about the backpressure. Right now the car sounds great, in two years since I put the Flowmasters in it I haven´t heard or seen another car or truck with a similar sound (Four bangers are the most popular cars here). My car sometimes intimidate these guys when they listen the way it sounds.

My flows are 2.5" diameter. Do you think that's a good diameter for the whole dual system? I thought that a dual exhaust system would help me get a little more power.
Removing the resonator and get dual is better than leaving the car as it is now?

Greetings from Mexico!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 12:33 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Well I'm sorry to hear about the 4 bangers...we have a decent ammount of them here in Kansas too.

If your motor is close to stock, I would keep it the way it is for now. Take out the resonator and place some pipe in place of it, and leave it the way it is. Put your money in other places, like a set of gears, or some exterior modifications.

If your motor is really making some decent power, I'd go ahead and get a dual set up. 2.5" is quite big, but if your making over 300hp (lots of mods) it would work just fine.

What other things have you done with your car? I can't wait to ditch my cats and put on my flowmasters again. It's gonna sound mean!

-danimal

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 01:02 AM
5w30 Guzzler

Send a message via AIM to chilipepprflea
not to say i discount others' opinions, especially since this is based off of my seat-of-the-pants-meter. but i had my exhaust cut right after the first two cats and those were gutted. so basically i had the stock exhaust manifolds with a couple feet of the stock pipes. yeah you do lose lowend power, but it makes up for it in the higher range. IMO. kickdowns were sure sweeter before i had my custom exhaust put back on. but i cant back it up with numbers so i guess just disregard this post
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Well, my car's engine is stock, except for a K&N panel filter and removed resonator.
It has a custom sound system, tinted windows (including the windshield with a slight dark film, no vision problems at night) and chrome exhaust tips.

It will need a paint job in a few months (the original paint is falling off quickly, can't understand why this happens with Ford products), so maybe I should spend part of my next paychecks on that. I'm thinking about a TransGo shift kit and maybe 3.73 gears.
While the car is at the body shop, maybe I'll try to get SC grouns effects and a set of SC wheels.

What do you think? Any ideas on how to improve performance or looks?

Put back the flows!!! They produce a beatiful and unique sound!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 11:37 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

silverbird- Yeah I am going to put my flows back on. Right now I don't have any mufflers at all, and it sounds great. When I get rid of the cats, i'll need something under there though.

save your money and don't do the exhaust. Like I said before, you should pull the resonator and weld some pipe in place of it, and call it a day. Save the money for your paint and body work, that way you can afford to get a really nice paint job. Nothing makes me happier than the paint on my car (accept the hood...damn those rock chips).

hey chilipepprflea...your not a flea fan are you? hehehe. Yeah, it probably did give it a bit more "top end" power, but the MN12's are so heavy, that around town driveability does not need top end power. Most driving styles require a healthy low end, accept the .1% of your cars lifetime that is spent at WOT and at high rpm. It's really just too big of a tradeoff, because alot of low end response is totaly lost. Especially with that little amount of pipe. The exhaust would not be able to scavange well at all at low rpms, causing a real dead spot from off-idle to 3500 rpm or so (where the 4.6L is already dead from the factory!).

Seccond off....how dare you dis-credit the "seat-o-the-pants" meter??? That is the most accurate way of measuring your cars performance well...at least for me....

later,
-danimal

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 07:45 PM

1% at WOT????????You need to ride with me I bet I spend about 50% at WOT, but then again, I only get about 220 miles per tank of gas....Wonder why?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 08:17 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

just talking statistics. the average car spends 1% of it's life at WOT. Even cars driven aggressivly spend, at most 5%. Now yours...that's a different story...

-danimal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in