help!!! temp hit the red - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

help!!! temp hit the red

i was driving to work today when i noticed my temperature gauge acting funny
first it was at its normal position ....... rite between the n and o of norm.....
then it dropped all the way down to the c where its blue (cold)
next thing i notice is my check gauge light coming on and the temperature gauge was rite next to the red zone where the H was at......
so i shut it off coasted off the road and checked it out

i opened the hood and notice radiator fluid leaking out of the radiator cap....but its never done that till today

please tell me i didn't blow another head gasket

all respones appreciated

thanx
tom

93lx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 10:05 AM

hey....

the same thing was happening with mine but i didnt notice it until it was too late. i was driving down the interstate and got off and noticed that my check gauges light was on. thinkin nothing of it i keep driving going to a gas station to get gas (cause that the only reason it ever turns on!) well i take a second look and realize that i was over heating and BAD! i pull over and get out of the car only to look back and see a magical trail of steaming engine coolent all over the highway! so i open the hood and yep coolent flowing freely out of the overflow cap so i try to screw it on tight. it was on tight. yea so i let it cool down and drive to work, which thank god ended up being about 2 minutes away. so i drive on the grass on the highway with the hood up trying to cool it down before i melt my block. so any way to make this long story shorter. the thermostat broke a spring and closed the loop. the coolent that was inside the engine got blocked up and started heating up. well it overheated my engine and then got so hot it warped both of my heads. the driver side head got so warped that it severed the head gasket! so basically check your thermostat cause a $5 POS cause me $1800 in damage!!!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 08:48 PM

My '89 did the same thing - the temp guage started acting up. I didn't overheat fortunately (it was winter)...

Odds are it's the thermostat...... only a few bucks and an easy install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 10:04 PM

You may not necessarily blown a gasket, but may have done some damage to the gaskets.

You didn't say what your engine is or mileage. I'd like to be positive about this, but you asked. Before my gaskets blew, I had temp readings all up and down. Found out the t-stat failed. There was no steam or smoke. It went directly to the shop. Gaskets had just started to fail.

Edit: Check your oil for a light tan foam. That would indicate coolant in the crankcase and a blown gasket.

Hope that yours are safe.

Last edited by soop; 10-09-2002 at 10:30 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 10:10 PM

Darn electricity

Well... Mine had a similar prob... came a cm from the red. Along with my pressure... I didn't worry bout it cause my gramps said it was a regulater. I flushed my fluid and got a new tsat, and new hoses. Same prob still after 50 miles.Still didn't worry bout it. Then one day to school... WOOOOW! It was maxed along with the pressure. Scared me to death. I get out of school and it was fine... till i got almost to my work. So I took it to my gramps to look at it. Well... i had an electricity problem where my ground wire got fried and my gramp "fixed" it half-a**. Anyways... The ground wire was split again on one point and all it need was a new ground wire. What I should of done in the first place!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

its a 93 3.8..............but the motor is from a 90 3.8..............i cracked the block on the original motor..........its got about 120,000 miles on it

odd thing is i drove it around last nite...and its fine.....wouln't go past the O

today me and my dad decided to check a few things......well as i was checking the spark plugs.....i noticed something...my number 1 cylinder is not firing....it has new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and ignition control module....

what is causing this......dads friend said it could be something wrong with a valve....its collapsed or something........OR......i'm about ready to "throw a rod"....
which is it?!?!

I just joined the Air National Guard and i need it to last me until i leave to BMT

any ideas?

BTW: what would happen if i did "throw a rod"?

thanx

tom
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 02:55 PM

Hypothetical situation.

Lets say I blew the head gasket. It was around cylinder 6. The possibility lies that the spark plug may have gotten fouled by stuff like coolant and oil comming into the combustion chamber.

Pull the plug out and look at it. What color were the old plugs that you replaced. Did it appear to be a fouling plug?

Just some insight.
Hope it helps

danman
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

it was just that plug....all the other ones are fine.....normal looking....
it just looks like its been soaked in gas......there is no coolant in my oil.....gave it an oil change today also.....just in case.....and i'm not losin any coolant anywhere either..........except for what happened yesterday.....but i'm so confused
i hate cars.....lol....thats why i'm gonna work on f-16's!

all help appreciated
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 11:34 AM
PostWhore

That thing with the gauge going all the way to cold is weird, could be electrical... but it sounds to me like the thermostat, air trapped in the system or maybe a temp sensor acting up? Mine would do the heat up and then cool off thing too until I replaced the radiator and bypass hoses and the thermostat.

Another check is to start the car with the radiator cap off and if you see more than a few bubbles at the beginning then you're head gasket could be on it's way out....
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

i have a new thermostat to put on...just haven't done it yet....and it didn't do it today either........so thats one problem thats settled.......i hope........

but now my question is why is my number 1 cylinder still not firing..........no lose of coolant.......i just smell gas sometimes when i stop....is it the fuel injector?.....did something happen to the ring on the piston??

please help me.....i'm leavin to the Air National Gaurd in a month......i just need it to last me till then

thanx

tom
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 07:03 PM

Lightbulb

Get an ohm meter,pull the plug wire for that cylinder and do a continuity test on it. Take the plug wire and put one probe from the ohm meter in one end and the other probe in the other end of it,set the meter to ohms and see if you get a reading,make sure the probes are making good contact with the connectors in the plug wire.If the meter reads 0 (zero) odds are you've just got a bad plug wire. If you're not sure how to do it,take the wire to a friend who's into electronics.You might have pinched or twisted the wire installing it,thats murder on them.Good luck.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 07:42 PM
6th Gear Poster

Be sure to change the oil AND the transmission fluid. If you engine over heats, your trans fluid probably overheated since it is cooled by the radiator.

W.Cup
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

already thought of that.......when we found out that the cylinder wasn't firing.......that was one of the first things we thought....so i bought new plugs and wires......still didn't help..........

and i gave it an oil change.......i believe i stated that above also....but......if not......i did it all......oil change, plugs, wires, cap & rotor, ignition control module......

still nothing

i was told by a friend that it cuold be a valve or that i'm bout ready to through a rod...whatever that means.......could this be it?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 11:09 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Alex
Check this out, my fan's power wire got somehow disconnected and my engine started heating up. I noticed when it was a little left of the red and pulled over immediately. I found my overflow tank about to burst with boiling coolant. I just opened my hook and let my sh¡t cool for a bit and fixed the fan. Now for some reason my car runs cooler lol. Maybe that got rid of air in my system?

1991 Mercury Cougar LS (Dead)
1989 Ford Probe LX (Dead)
1989 Ford Taurus SHO (Sold)
1994 Ford Taurus SHO (Dead)
1994 Ford Taurus SHO (Weekend Cruiser)
1999 Honda Accord EX (Daily Driver)
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 07:02 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by bigshow609
already thought of that.......when we found out that the cylinder wasn't firing.......that was one of the first things we thought....so i bought new plugs and wires......still didn't help..........

and i gave it an oil change.......i believe i stated that above also....but......if not......i did it all......oil change, plugs, wires, cap & rotor, ignition control module......

still nothing

i was told by a friend that it cuold be a valve or that i'm bout ready to through a rod...whatever that means.......could this be it?
If you're getting ready to throw or have thrown a rod you'd most likely hear it knocking to get out of there.... you'll probably also see or feel metal particles in your oil since throwing a rod usually means bearing failure. Actually breaking a rod can happen but takes one heck of a lot of compression (like water in the chamber) or rpms, a broken piston (skirt?) also makes a knocking noise that you hear for sure and leaves pieces. A sticking closed intake valve wouldn't let the fuel in, could be stuck open (bent stem?) if it's the exhaust valve stuck open may be a cause, might also account for the gas smell... is it stronger near the tailpipe? You should probably run a cpmpression check and a leakdown test.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

i have a compression tester...but its in my dads toolbox......in storage.......
whats a leak down test??

i smell the gas mostly when i step out of my car....but nothing up under the hood......i never really thought bout checkin the tailpipe.......

if the valve is stuck open.....or closed.....how can i fix it?
does it involve takin off the head?.....

thanx alot for ur reply's

tom
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 06:46 PM
PostWhore

Leakdown is part of a compression check, basically all cylinders should have about the same peak compression readings and should lose compression at about the same rate. A faster leakdown in one cylinder indicates a possible bad valve seat, cracked compression ring or maybe a "pinhole" in the head gasket.

If there's a valve sticking in either position the head has to come off to fix it right... you're low mileage enough that they should be ok though. If ir was me I wouldn't go pulling the head unless you're pretty sure that's the cause or you're checking them while you do the head gaskets. You've got fuel and air and you're pretty sure they're being compressed, make sure you got the fire (at the right time) to ignite it before tearing the thing down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in