What did I do to my car? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

What did I do to my car?

Cleaned MAF a couple days ago. Dad drove car to iowa (8 hours). Stays there for a week. Check Engine light comes on after getting more gas. He refils at empty and it stays on. He comes home saying that I caused he light. As Im buying the car its pretty much my problem any way. I took the MAF out again and took a peak at it. Looks fine to me. Even some crap still left on it. Also, it did fix my miss when the car is cold!! Im very happy with that, but not pleased with the check engine light. Seems to run fine so how could it be the MAF? Hopefully this is just a stored code from the bad fuel. I think he is off getting codes read right now. What do yall think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 07:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

get the codes read then come back and tell us what they are. its really hard to say what happened when we dont know the codes and we dont have the car here.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

crap he couldn't get the codes read. the reader wouldn't read it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HanMan
crap he couldn't get the codes read. the reader wouldn't read it.

Did he use the correct reader?(If not sure, go to Autozone and they'll read it for free) It has to give you something, even if the PCM is bad it's gonna tell you that your PCM is bad.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Nope, he hooked it up key off, would tell u it was connected, when he turned the key on it was supposed to chirp or somethin he said. didn't do jack. Turned off in fact. For actron cd915 scanner. Ima reset the compu today to see if it was a stored code.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 04:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
two guesses, if you were messing with the maf before the light went on.

Insufficent maf voltage= make sure the maf plug is plugged in properly

Also, make sure the temperature guage is plugged in, that will throw a code if its unplugged.

Other than that, use some electrical cleaner on the maf, and blow it dry with a can of air.

Justin
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Hmmmm it seems fine now. I reset the eec and it didn't rethrow the code so im assuming it was crappy gas. Ill have to ask where he got it... Citgo nebody? It was smoking like a ***** when I did my engine mount test and a little in idle, but I think that has gone away. Ill start a new thread on the engine mount. Thanks a lot guys.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 09:54 PM

you said refilled at empty? what happened is probably you had some dirt at the bottom of the tank and might have sucked it up and the fuel filter got dirty and the car wasn't getting enough fuel, or it got to the injectors maybe (probly not), maybe it's time to change the fuel filter.

If it starts doing that again I'd change the fuel filter
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

What I meant was he refilled it when it got low. I dont think it was actually empty. now hes telling me he refilled it and drove around town up there for 15 mins or so and then it came on. I dunno, I just now its fixed now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in