Oil Change - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Oil Change

From mile 0 to 65k, the first two owners of my bird used 10w-30 petroleum. When It came for me to do an oil change at 65k(900 miles ago), I switched to Mobile 1 Synthetic. Should I do anything in the meantime until I hit 3,000 miles? Can I get away without changing my oil filter until the 68k mark?(That thing is a royal pain in the *** to get to) Thanks in advance. 96' 4.6 v8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 06:25 PM

Re: Oil Change

Quote:
Originally posted by CowsGoMoo
From mile 0 to 65k, the first two owners of my bird used 10w-30 petroleum. When It came for me to do an oil change at 65k(900 miles ago), I switched to Mobile 1 Synthetic. Should I do anything in the meantime until I hit 3,000 miles? Can I get away without changing my oil filter until the 68k mark?(That thing is a royal pain in the *** to get to) Thanks in advance. 96' 4.6 v8

When you don't change the filter the filter full of dirty oil stays in your engine. I never do an oil change without changing it. The 4.6 is a pain but since I put my oil filter relocation kit changes are a breeze. You might want to look into that as an alternative. One other thing to think about with the filter...If the filter is bypassing then your oil isn't getting filtered at all.

My .02

Jim Long
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Yea, but I've heard when you do a cold swap like that, petrol to fully synthetic oil, you're oil filter will get very dirty with all of the inpurities being washed out and you "MAY" have to change the filter before your regular 3k mile oil change. I'd like to know if this is true or not? I generally have someone else change the oil for me so I don't have to worry about getting all dirty, taking lots of time, getting my car dirty, and having to get rid of the waste oil... And if I could safely wait until 3k without changing my filter, then I'll be very happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 07:37 PM
6th Gear Poster

FYI- Mobil 1 oil will actually last alot more than 3000 miles. It still will get some dirt and other by products in it, but the oil properties will last well over 10k miles. I use mobil 1 & change the oil every 7500 & the filter every 4000.

W.Cup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in