Radiator Fan Question... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Question Radiator Fan Question...

Hey all... I recently changed the fan motor on my radiator fan shroud assembly... anyhow, when i hooked up a test light to the 3 prong plug (to test for power), i got nothing... so, what I am basically asking is...

(1) Where is the relay for the elec. fan on a 97 3.8 tbird?

(2) Which of the 3 prongs should be 'hot', or is it normal for none of them to turn on my test light...??

(3) I recall when the original motor went out, for about 3 days the 'check engine' light was on, then it dissappeared... why might that be? could that be related to this current issue?

(4) What will the relay cost me, and can i get it at autozone or do i have to go thru ford?

(5) What is a sure-fire way to know the fan is coming on? I thought turning the heater/AC on was an automatic "on switch" for the electrical fan...??

(6) How can I install a separate switch to control when my electrical fan turns on??

All additional assistance is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks again,
~Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 09:08 PM
6th Gear Poster

Go Down

Scroll down the posts or possibly on the next pages...there's a thread started about this....The IRCM (Integrated relay control module) is the relay your talking about....It is located in front of the airfilter box behind the headlight housing.

Turning the A/C on should definitely turn on your Fan...the check engine light is most likely due to your fan motor not working.

BeirutsFinest
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 06:46 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to CamellionCat
beirutsfinest..whats up dude.

listen i dont know about you, but this is pissing me off man, im so annoyd i cant even explain how ready i am to get rid of this car. This sunday im doing a whole flush on my cooling system im also going to replace my clamps and put the stock ones back on, i have a feeling that theirs not enough pressure with the ones i have on now, and that might be causing my fan to come on late. Hey its worth a try right???? even though i know theirs not going to be no gains, its probably going to stay the same. After i do my chassis (drop springs, shocks and struts) im putting a huge forsale sign on it and im getting me a v8 cougar or bird. But on the mean time im going to keep hammering this cooling system problem man. Let me know if you find out anything.

Marvin M.

95- Cougar- SOLD (in loving memory)
Mods-17x9 cobra r's,H&R springs,KYB shocks & struts,removed air silencer,9"K&N cone,gutted cats,dual glasspack setup,cooling fan switch, B&M 24,000 tranny cooler.

Back in the game!!!
97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC-opal opalescent with black interior, upgraded with a 98 tranny, 18x9 black saleen speedstars, LMS dual tip mufflers, 5% tints all around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 07:08 AM
Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan
TCCoAAC Founding Member

Send a message via AIM to JordanSypek
Re: beirutsfinest..whats up dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by Marvin M.
listen i dont know about you, but this is pissing me off man, im so annoyd i cant even explain how ready i am to get rid of this car. This sunday im doing a whole flush on my cooling system im also going to replace my clamps and put the stock ones back on, i have a feeling that theirs not enough pressure with the ones i have on now, and that might be causing my fan to come on late. Hey its worth a try right???? even though i know theirs not going to be no gains, its probably going to stay the same. After i do my chassis (drop springs, shocks and struts) im putting a huge forsale sign on it and im getting me a v8 cougar or bird. But on the mean time im going to keep hammering this cooling system problem man. Let me know if you find out anything.

Marvin M.
if you want the v8 so bad, why waste the time putting springs and shocks on it? Sell the parts, and sell the car, keep the wheels and throw them on the next mn12... V8 POWER!!!!!!

TCCOAAC (R.I.P. JOEL)
96 4.6 XR7 (T45 Swap, etc.)
97 4.6 Mustang Cobra (28k Miles)
95 4.9 F150 4X4 M5R2)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 06:08 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to CamellionCat
well i really like my cougar.

i like everything about it, i just dont like thats a 3.8, i mean it has a bad a$$$ paint job that people stare at and are always asking me where i got it, and then they freak out when i say its factory. And i want to see how it would look fixed up lowered and stuff. Thats why im trying to fix this problem b/c i dont want to get rid of her. I want to keep her and buy me a v8 on the side for speed. but for now im a..............

Marvin M.

95- Cougar- SOLD (in loving memory)
Mods-17x9 cobra r's,H&R springs,KYB shocks & struts,removed air silencer,9"K&N cone,gutted cats,dual glasspack setup,cooling fan switch, B&M 24,000 tranny cooler.

Back in the game!!!
97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC-opal opalescent with black interior, upgraded with a 98 tranny, 18x9 black saleen speedstars, LMS dual tip mufflers, 5% tints all around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in