Radiator... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Exclamation Radiator...

Hey all...

How do our cars decide when to turn on and off the elec. radiator fan?

Let me elaborate on my problem, also...

First off, the fan motor locked up, and i assume sent a problem error code to the computer... shouldn't it have blown a fuse? if so, where the @#[email protected] is it?? I've searched and searched...

Secondly, I purchased a new motor for the radiator fan, installed it and hooked the wires back up... but it seemed like the fan never turned itself on still...

So, then I tested the 3 prong plug that connects to the fanmotor, and found no power thru the hot wire...

Now what??

Thirdly, I installed a temporary solution, wired a switch to the fan and the battery, so I can turn the fan off and on anytime... this worked for a few days, but now does not, why could that be??

Finally, I see a yellow/red, black, and blu wire connecting to the fan... i assume red/yellow is hot, and black is ground, what is the blue??

Thanks for your help! Oh, and where is the relay for this circuit? Is it possible that is blown and also needs to be replaced..????

All help is greatly appreciated... thanks!
~Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 12:19 AM
6th Gear Poster

Yeah

Check your relay....The IRCM (Integrated relay control module). It is located in front of the Air Box and behind the headlight housing.....Very easy to change. Just two screws on the relay itself, and one screw on the huge plug that connects to the relay....All same size screws.....I would check that outfirst, and report back to us.

BeirutsFinest
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 01:59 PM

Radiator Fan

There is no fuse, there is a fusable link wire that burns up. It comes off the silenoid near the battery. On my 90SC it was black (16guage) about 6" long and I had to repair it before the new fan would work because the IRCM (Integrated relay control module) gets its power for the fan through it. Normally, the fan will automaticly come on with the Defroster or A/C as well as high temps. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 02:06 PM
Overkill Fetish Freak

Also check the #7 fuse for the IRCM to make sure it's OK. The fan is a two speed fan so that's why you have another wire.

-Scott

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in