Tranny Fluid Change - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Tranny Fluid Change

Alright, there is a slight grinding noise coming from underneath the car.... it varies with the speed of the engine, not the speed of the car. I don't feel like going into a million details about it cause i'm having it looked at today but, if some work needs to be done and we have to drain it and refill it with fluid, is there a diff. # of quarts u need for just the tranny as opposed to the tranny and torque converter? Cause the tech articles about the J-Mod say 13 quarts.... Is there a diff. nunber for draining different parts or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 11:00 PM

Angry be Forewarned....

You never want to just change the tranny oil in the pan , thats about 6-7 qts... its only a few bucks more and a few minutes more to drain.change the t/c too (Total 13.x qts.).... Ford put that rubber plug, and the drain plug in the t/c for a reason...use it, and you'll never regret it.... even the mercon v, isnt as good as the old atf we got before the ban on whale hunting./ oil....therefore 20,000 mi atf changes are reasonable as is a full change anytime you have to open her up.... the only way to save money with a ford 4r70w is to change the oil more often. LOL
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. My girlie's dad who's a mechanic said the grinding/thumping noise was just one of my true duals that was loose and bumping back and forth depending on the vibrations.... hence different RPM's different exhaust amounts etc. etc. He also said i need a new idler pulley which was causing the clicking noise, and i need an "inner tie rod" i believe is what he said for the front right tire, he said it was part of the racket pinion steering.... hmmmm alrighty well i've got some calling to do on monday, luckily i get 10% off ford parts cause my dad works at a dealership lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 01:19 AM
Cougar Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by Spike
Thanks. He also said i need a new idler pulley which was causing the clicking noise, and i need an "inner tie rod" i believe is what he said for the front right tire, he said it was part of the racket pinion steering.... hmmmm alrighty well i've got some calling to do on monday, luckily i get 10% off ford parts cause my dad works at a dealership lol.

Rack and pinion steering. You have quite a few mods to that 3.8 ever get a quarter mile time?? I always wanted to mod my 3.8's but one day I lost hope and said to myself the things I want to do aren't feasible with 6 naturally aspirated cylinders. I upgraded but ouch the things hard on gas. I'll be J-Modding soon too, and that rather suprises me that will hold 13 quarts of MERCON V. I hope that stuff's cheaper than Mobil 1.

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Ummm no i don't have a 1/4 mile yet... i will soon. I have just 1/8 which i'm getting 10.815's at the moment... if you look in the fastest rides section the fastest one in there is like a 11.XX so i can tell u right now i'm at least under 17's. Just out of my own experience i would say 16.75-16.8 and glowing escape helped me a little with that one lol. But eventually i shall get to a 1/4 when i have the time and what not to drive out to one. I know there is one about an hour away from here so... we shall see. I hope to run 10.6XX when i get my dennis chip... cause i took a lil over .1 off my time with an UD pulley so i hope to do the same at least with my Dennis Chip. Those mod's aren't everything done to the car... you'd have to see it for yourself lol if you want e-mail me [email protected] or IM me on AIM IronMan569 and we'll talk pictures lol Peace out.

BTW Mercon-V is 2.49$ a quart at Autozone.

Last edited by Spike; 10-27-2002 at 05:47 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 09:04 PM
Cougar Pilot

No Auto Zone around here buddy I live in the stix

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in