exhaust suggestions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

exhaust suggestions

i have a 94 3.8 and i have been wanting to put duals on my bird, but i dont know what to decide.

i was thinking about getting flowmasters but i am not for sure, would flowmaster be better then no muffers just pipe.

and about a high flow cat would i have to get the o2 sencor deleted??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 04:54 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to BlackbirdSport
dude, get mufflers, goooooood mufflers. The 3.8 does not sound attractive when opend up.
Duals witll net you the highest gaine in peak hp (in theory), but you will have no low end torque. Meaning when you romp on the gas off the line...no drama, and a crappy launch. If I were you, I'd go with a single 2.5' pipe. I recomend the flowmaster cat back kit. Once you have that, have a Y pipe made to get rid of the big ugly down there. With that gone, the flowmasters will provide a good mellow sound.

"Keep making it thinner until it breaks, then go one size bigger."
My Cougar XR7
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 11:44 PM

here's what i did on my 90, and i noticed almost no low end loss, and some high end gain. the numbers on the highend maybe not be the most drastic increase ever, but what it does do is improve your powerband greatly (and to make it better, i suggest a good p&p or maybe, i dont think anyone with a bird has done it yet, is 99+ intake and heads witha 96+ exhaust manifolds). when i floor it off the line, its about the smae as it used to be, and since i have an open rear, sometimes (big sometimes) i slip the tire off the line and get a little squack (before and after exhuast). i do notice however, when im going about 22 - 24 and floor it, the car takes off like it never did before.... it used to be i floor it at that speed, it works it way up to abotu 30 then it starts moving pretty decent, but another this is, it pulls harder at the very top too. since my goal was performance with some sound quality (it is raspy in the high 2000s), i had it completely repiped with no cats, no res, 2" y'ed into a single 2.25" all the way back to just before the differential, then y'ed out 2.25" to two flowmaster 40 series mufflers with offset/offset 2.25" in/out. the idle is awesome. WOT nearing redline is great.. makes up for the raspy high 2000s. but all in all i am copletely satisfied with it. it only cost me 330 bucks too when all said and done. all i know is, i can get my license revoked (exceding 85 mph speedo, 55 mph limit... about 10 mph faster i think, rough guess) on a short onramp getting on the freeway near my house. -greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 01:29 AM
Cougar Pilot

I have true duals on my '93 with just mufflers and cats. I wouldn't want it to be muffler-less for sure, unless you cut your exhaust off right before the cats. I did this when removing the cat and I started it up for fun and well...it almost sounded like a large V-8. I noticed a bit of low end gone with my exhaust but a bit more gain up high in the RPM's. Some say get an H or X pipe, I personally wouldn't with a 3.8L because WHEN you blow your headgasket(s) you will instantly know which one just by seeing the coolant coming out your pipe.

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 05:44 PM

My V6 with a flowmaster 50 and no cats and No resonator (the flowmaster 50 is where the resonator was)
My 96' 3.8L flowmaster.

BTW: I have dual 2.25" into single 3" and its WAY TOO BIG for a N/A V6. My 60ft. times are worse than stock and I lost .2 seconds in the 1/4 with the new exhaust according to my G-Tech. But my plans were to go with a Vortech Supercharger and the exhaust will be perfect for that power level. My recommendation is to stick with the STOCK CATS and 2" pipe and replace the resonator with a Muffler of your choice and run 2.25-2.5" single pipe out to the back and split to duals.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

where r the resonator at??
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 05:43 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to CamellionCat
hey glowing escape

i have a question what exactly did you do with your cars, b/c i believe we have an o2 sensor on the right cat right???? what i did with my exhaust is i replaced my left cat with a pipe and on my right cat i guttted it b/c of the o2 sensor, nowww i want more sound out of my exhaust will it just work to replace my resonator with a Y pipe and on the back make a dual with 2 40 series flowmasters on each side????? will this sound better, b/c right now i have glasspacks on the tips and sounds like crapppp.

Marvin M.

95- Cougar- SOLD (in loving memory)
Mods-17x9 cobra r's,H&R springs,KYB shocks & struts,removed air silencer,9"K&N cone,gutted cats,dual glasspack setup,cooling fan switch, B&M 24,000 tranny cooler.

Back in the game!!!
97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC-opal opalescent with black interior, upgraded with a 98 tranny, 18x9 black saleen speedstars, LMS dual tip mufflers, 5% tints all around.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 06:25 AM

i'm pretty sure i dont have any sensors cause i just had the cats replaced with pipe (and this was almost a year ago), and there was no check engine light. same thing when i had it all redone in june, no check engine light after that either, so i dont think 90 mn12s have the sensor... maybe Ca. cars do, but im not too sure. sorry for the ambiguity. -greg
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 06:47 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to CamellionCat
so will it sound better if i....

replace my resonator with a Y pipe and put two flowmaster 40 series on each side on the tips ?????

Marvin M.

95- Cougar- SOLD (in loving memory)
Mods-17x9 cobra r's,H&R springs,KYB shocks & struts,removed air silencer,9"K&N cone,gutted cats,dual glasspack setup,cooling fan switch, B&M 24,000 tranny cooler.

Back in the game!!!
97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC-opal opalescent with black interior, upgraded with a 98 tranny, 18x9 black saleen speedstars, LMS dual tip mufflers, 5% tints all around.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 10:54 PM
PostWhore

replace your resonator with a Y pipe. dual 2.125" into a single 2.5". The rest, get a flowmaster or Dynomax Cat back kit. Dynomax is quiter, cheaper, and is proven to flow better.

My Cougar XR7
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

so you guys are sayin that i should replace the resonators with a y pipe , remove the big cat, replace that with pipe then put a y pipe on with 2 series flowmasters

what about that o2 sensor??
i will have to delete it if i do these to me car
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 06:41 PM
PostWhore

You wont have to alter your your O2s. That system in the above picture connect to your stock down tubes, behind the cats. Just get a cat back system, then make a Y-pipe to hook up to it. It will be much cheaper.

My Cougar XR7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in