Dynomax Installation - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Question Dynomax Installation

Hello, folks...

I have given serious thought to installing the Dynomax Super Turbo kit. I was wondering if it's something a weekend warrior can do. Local shops can install the kit if I buy the product there (with a price over $615 with tax and labor!); however, I see that Summit Racing has the kit for $200.

In the Ford Service Manual CD, reference to 'aligning so the the muffler/exhaust pipe conforms to clearance specifications' is made several times in the exhaust and muffler installation section. I would like to know if that has been an issue for those who may have installed aftermarket exhaust systems themselves.

Lastly, the kit appears to replace everything after the Y-pipe and muffler inlet pipe. What else could I change, without getting too involved, that would alleviate a fair amount of backpressure? It looks like the "dual-converter Y-pipe" houses the catalytic converter, so, to stay somewhat legal, that would have to stay in place. Thus, a length of straight pipe could replace the muffler inlet pipe. If that's possible, what gains/losses could I expect to observe?

Thanks in advance for any insight, advice, and recommendations!

--Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 04:31 PM
BSR

I have the Dynomax catback on my car and am pretty pleased. It has a little more rumble than stock so if you want something louder go with the flowmaster. The catback comes with everything from the resinator back, it bolts up to that flange. It took me about 4 or 5 hours to install it the first time, I took my time . And on the alignment, it is tricky trying to get the passenger side muffler lined up right, mine is still off a little.

By doing the catback you aren't really going to get rid of a whole lot of back pressure, most of that is in the precats. And you aren't really going to see much or any power gain, it's more for sound. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 04:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
Very simple install. I had Eric G. from Ohio (Blackandmild96) install mine in his driveway while I put speakers in his sport tbird, last fall.

Did I mention it was about 30 degrees out when he did it? It took him about 30 minutes to get the old exhaust off, and he bolted on the new one no problems.

One thing I would recommend doing is deleting the muffler resonator, and if possible the third cat. That will liven up the sound of the exhaust.

When you put the system on, it will sound stock for a couple months until the mufflers age. I have the resonator deleted, and the mufflers have aged for about a year now, and the system sounds awesome. Never annoying or buzzy. It purrs pretty good when you get on it however.

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thank to you both! I appreciate the information!

--Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in