93 N/A V6 Auto To a 5.0 Stick.... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

93 N/A V6 Auto To a 5.0 Stick....

Ok as of right now i found a 93 NA V6 for rather cheap. Was woudring how hard and what be needed to make it a 5.0 stick and have all the goodies of a SC (i dunno know what the SC would have over a base model) Ok anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 10:28 PM
Boost Happy

Send a message via AIM to Jurgen
ask glowning escape he might know better caz he working on swaping a 5.0 and a stick trans on his
90 tbird he will know better then me the prices and stuff and what all wireing

the SC has better suspention and v6 supercharged etc. etc. etc

1994 Ford Thunderbird
2002 Corvette Z06
Yeah I got a few mods.And Some More
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/239875
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 10:45 PM

well.. actually... im considering all the work of swapping a 5.0 and a t-3550, but i havent decided yet, i might go the 99+GT & t-46 route. itd be a job tho either way. however with the 5.0, motor mounts are in the same position. for the 5 spd, the t-3550 is the tranny of choice, but you will have to do 1 of 2 things, mod the center console for different shifter positon or mod the shifter box so the shifter is in the same position. for the t-3550 is a mustang tranny. you could take the route of using a SC 5 spd tranny, but thats a mazda tranny designed for a 4banger ranger and not a 320 ft/lb torque car. you will also need a new driveshaft, i recommend a dennis reinhardt driveshart, one piece aluminum 480 bucks. it would be a good idea at that time to also get a mark 8 rear end with the trakloc gear rato of your preference.

ok, for the motor, you can get on cheap from a junk yard prolly, or you could buy a performance crate motor, or you could get a reman motor and build it up real nice. you will need the computer from a 5.0 bird and all the wiring and sensors as well. a swap is a prime chance to put a lot of after market parts.. such as cam, rocker rolers, build up the motor with forged parts, slap a a nice 95 cobra intake or a trickflow intake and heads, bigger valves, stiffer springs and such. i suggest getting a haynes manual so you can see in detail all the wiring info and everythign if yo do the swaps..

for the trans, if the car doesnt have abs, you will need to swap in an abs master cylinder to fit in the hydrualic clutch setup that the super coupes have or get the clutch setup from a fox mustang (its a cable clutch) and you will have to do a few little modifications for the cable but a lot cheaper than swapping to ABS and getting master and slave cylinders for the clutch.

i figure when all said and done... 5 - 7 grand.

its a little down the road for me tho, cause i got so much other things to take care of my 90bird... like make it one color.... -greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 08:29 AM
PostWhore

As for the comments on the SC manual tranny...I don't think you should rag on it too much about how strong it is. It is probably stronger than any of the other transmissions you have tested, and in fact I believe Ted Lyons is running one in his car, and it makes more power than most of us ever dream of. Just something to add.

John
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 09:00 PM

im pretty sure his tranny isnt exactly stock tho. however, i was just saying it as something to consider. and anyways, unless you have ABS, you cant have the sc tranny because it uses a hydrualic clutch, and i dont think it can be converted to cable, but i might be wrong on that. -greg
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 09:26 PM
PostWhore

What does ABS have to do with a hydraulic clutch? And yes, according to Ted's website:

http://www.cobrasc.com/specs_frames.htm

The transmission is:

"Stock Super Coupe 5-speed transmission"

There is a reason that they put that transmission behind the sc, because it could handle the torque.

John
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 09:28 PM

ok, im sorry.. but the abs has to do with it cause it is smaller, so the hydrualic setup for the sc tranny/clutch can fit... i guess im just making an *** of myself. ill shut up now.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 09:29 PM
PostWhore

ABS is smaller???? :O Have you ever seen those ABS units in the older cars? They are friggen huge!!!

John
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 09:32 PM

ok. im done being an idiot...

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 10:01 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Slippy103 Send a message via Yahoo to Slippy103
I'm pretty sure Ted Lyons tranny is pretty much stock, except for the brass blocker kit. Which is the only real problem I've ever heard from a SC Tranny. Mind you, supercoupes do make over 300 ft/lbs. of torque stock.
I do have a (91 I bleieve) Supercoupe tranny for sale. $100 bucks plus shipping.
I never used it, was gonna do 5.0 with M5R2, but am opting to go with a Cobra 4.6 DOHC and Reinhardt 4R70W. I was told tranny works great, but I would reccomend rebuilding with brass blockers.

1996 Thunderbird LX: Current Project

1975 Corvette Stingray: 350 V8, TH350

2004 Dodge Dakota
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 10:03 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Slippy103 Send a message via Yahoo to Slippy103
Although Ted's 3.73's in the rear might be a little too much for that tranny. Especially 89 - 93. I prob wouldn't go more than 3.55, even thats pushing it. Too many traction issues after that.

1996 Thunderbird LX: Current Project

1975 Corvette Stingray: 350 V8, TH350

2004 Dodge Dakota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in