TCCoA Forums banner

ok question on step colder spark plugs.

8K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Blown94SC 
#1 ·
i have a 95 3.8 cougar, now which ones are the step colder spark plugs for my car, im going to order them from 5star ford but i need to know which ones, and also whats the gain on using these???? are they the Motorcraft awsf32pp???? or the 22c's?????

Marvin M.

#2 ·
ok can i install them with out the jchip????

what is the performance gain????? thanks for the help.

Marvin M.

#3 ·
you can install them but you will run rich, and if you run them too long, you'll foul the plugs and have to do it over again anyway. I'd say shorter than a week or less than 300 miles and you'll be OK.

#5 ·
colder plugs are recommended when your running with advanced timing...it prevents pinging...a step colder are pn awsf--32c...two steps is awsf-42c...go with copper plugs...no platinum! i was running 2 step colder platinums and i recently switched to one step colder coppers...i actually felt an improvement in performance....i switched to one step colder because my idle was a little rough when cold with the 2 step colder

#6 ·
Hold up!

First off, we are talking about a 3.8L V-6, not the modular 4.6L V-8.

Second, stock plugs for the 3.8L V-6 in 1996-1997 were AWSF-44PP. The stock plugs for 49 state 3.8L '94-'95 T-Bird/Cougar were AWSF-44C. For CA cars, it was AWSF-44PP.

So to drop one heat range colder, you would need AWSF-34C or AWSF-34PP. To drop two heat ranges colder, you would need AWSF-24C or PP. Now from what others have told me (read: I do not own an SC) you can install AGSF-12 FM1 plugs in an SC. So I would assume they can work in a n/a 3.6L V-6 as well. That also means that AWSFA-12C' would work. However this would drop you three heat ranges colder or more. I do not recommend this.

I would go with AWSF-34C for your cars and be done with it.

Jim,

"a step colder are pn awsf--32c...two steps is awsf-42c...go with copper plugs...no platinum" Your thinking is backwards. The higher the number, the hotter the Motorcraft plug is in heat ranges.

Here guys read this...

Spark plugs 101...

A-Train

#7 ·
Fantastic Article Thanks A-Train !!

What would we do with out you "Man" !!!

I am running NGK TR-5 V-POWER's (u-Groove)
Love-em
:ztoohot:

#8 ·
A-Train,

"The higher the number, the hotter the Motorcraft plug is in heat ranges. "

exactly...isnt that what i said? 32c is one step colder...22c is two steps colder...i know stock is 44c in the 3.8...i am using 32c's now and the car runs fine with them...this is what alberto and pete told me to use...what is the difference between 34c and 32c? i will admit by the way that i dont know all that much about spark plugs but i do now how to change them, gap them, and know that the plugs in my car work fine...

#9 ·
Is this what you wrote?

Jim,

You said...

""a step colder are pn awsf--32c...two steps is awsf-42c...go with copper plugs...no platinum"

A step COLDER are p.n. AWSF-32C...TWO steps (colder?) is AWSF-42C. If so, you are incorrect. The higher the number...the hotter the Motorcraft heat range. The lower the number, the colder.

A-Train

#10 ·
oooooooooooooooooooooh...i see...what a di#k i am...yeah that was a mistake when i wrote it the first time...so anyway...what is the difference between 44C and 42C...

#11 ·
I could be wrong on this, but I believe the difference is because one is built for the pushrods motors and one is built for the mod motors?

#12 ·
A-Train said:
Here guys read this...

Spark plugs 101...
Wow, what an excellent article. It seems AWFS-22C is the best choice for sparkplugs for the 4.6 engine.

Is there any place one can buy these things online? Or does Autozone carry them? Are the 'equivalent' partnos from other brands that are the same plug as the Motorcraft? Or is Motorcraft the only way to go?

#14 ·
Autolite and Motorcraft are pretty much the same plug, different brand label. Oh yeah, and the 22c equivalent in Autolite is a set of Autolite 103's.

#16 ·
There is no need to buy any other brand of sparkplug except motorcraft/autolite. And motorcraft/autolite are the same plug, so there is only one spark plug for your car.

Bosch and the others are a waste of money on these cars period.

JH

Leto said:
Maybe someone could post an equivalency chart of Motorcraft / Autolite / Bosch / others?

Motorcraft Autolite
AWSF-42PP
AWSF-32PP
AWSF-22PP
AWSF-32C
AWSF-22C 103

Who call fill this chart?

#17 ·
Leto said:
Maybe someone could post an equivalency chart of Motorcraft / Autolite / Bosch / others?

Motorcraft Autolite
AWSF-42PP
AWSF-32PP 764PP
AWSF-22PP 103PP
AWSF-32C 764
AWSF-22C 103

Who call fill this chart?
will that do?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.