Help Steering Question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Help Steering Question

I have been having a problem with my car pulling to the right when i brake and tight steering so i went under my car and checked everything out. I found out that the tires themselves have movement together. I put the car on stands and pushed one tire and the other tire moved too. I pushed on ones side and pulled on the other side you get what i mean. So i went under the car and pushed with my foot and the entire steering shaft moves a little when i push on it. I don't know if this is a problem within the steering rack or not. I have flushed out the system with a gallon or so of fluid and its still black fluid. Im not sure what else it could be everything under the car appears to be fine. I don't think that this could be an alignment issue could it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 04:16 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to dugweed Send a message via Yahoo to dugweed
if it only pulls...........

when you are braking, it is probably a brake problem, like a sticking caliper or a hose that has collapsed internally.
as far as fluid still being black, flush it some more, but it is not causing your pull
try swapping sides with the tires and see if the pull goes the other way, if it does you have a bad tire
Mike

2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide
1996 F350 CCLB 7.3 5 speed 4x4
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

its not just when i am braking but its more noticable when i am braking. The problem i believe is probably related to the movement in the steering like I described. The steering at times becomes tight. If it does turn out to be the rack does anyone know if this is a pita project or something easly done, Prices? That movement is only to the right for some reason also. The front of the left tire in the front of the passenger side tire out and thats which way i have the braking problem thats why i was thinking of that. Thanks for any posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 08:54 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to StanG
Unhappy

I hate to drag up an old post but I have the same problem with mine. I have replaced the brake pads, since they needed it anyway, and rotated the tires but it still pulls to the right during braking. I was wondering if there was a rubber bushing or something that could be worn out?

'96 Cougar Sport, V8
Pearl White
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Just thought that i would post what my problem ended up being. It was a bad lower balljoint. After having the car pulling while braking for about a year i started to notice a screaching noise and i brought it into a local shop and they sprayed some wd40 in the lower bj boot and the noise went away. They said that the joint was rusted and that it would need to be replaced asap. I had them replaced it for about 240 which included an alignment. When i got the car back it not only didn't make the noise but the pull to the right i had when braking was completely gone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in