Thinking about a 4.6 stroker... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Thinking about a 4.6 stroker...

Ok, here is my question. SHM sells a 4.6 stroker and it will make your 4.6 go up to like a 5.0-5.2 But why not just get a 5.4?

Maybe im missing something here, but what would a 4.6 stroked to like 5.2 do different then a 5.4? Wouldn't the 5.4 be better? isn't a stroker used to get more displacment? I would think they should be making a 5.4 stroker instead of the 4.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 04:27 PM
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher

Re: Thinking about a 4.6 stroker...

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackTbird96
Ok, here is my question. SHM sells a 4.6 stroker and it will make your 4.6 go up to like a 5.0-5.2 But why not just get a 5.4?

Maybe im missing something here, but what would a 4.6 stroked to like 5.2 do different then a 5.4? Wouldn't the 5.4 be better? isn't a stroker used to get more displacment? I would think they should be making a 5.4 stroker instead of the 4.6
Bad idea..the stroke on the 4.6 is already long enough,and the 5.4's stroke is really too long,IMHO.Any kind of displacement increase should come in an overbore-not a stroker.You'll unshroud the valves and make better flow with a larger bore,and the bottom end would be a problem with the stroked 4.6L as well.
JL

1997 Thunderbird-4.6L/[email protected]
'05 F250 Crewcab 2WD-6.8L V10/5R110/4.10
2010 Lincoln MKT-3.5L EcoBoost V6/[email protected] stock
Fuelly
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 04:44 PM

Re: Thinking about a 4.6 stroker...

Quote:
Avoid SHM like the plague. SHM stands for Sean's Highpriced Mess!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 07:28 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

well, one reason to stroke a 4.6L instead of getting a 5.4L is that you won't have to get a new intake. however, a stock 5.4L should be just as reliable as a stock 4.6L

Mr. Miller put a 5.4L in his cougar, and to be honest, I'm not impressed with numbers. he spent alot of $$$ and got about the same results as a PI headswap.

www.modularperformance.com

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Im not going to get a stroker. I was just looking at them, like dreaming.

I know not to buy from SHM, to many bad stories from there.

But isn't a stroker just for displacment?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 11:15 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Quote:
But isn't a stroker just for displacment?
but it also effectively lowers the redline of the motor. a motor with a 3inch stroke revving to 6000rpms has it's pistons moving at the same speed as a motor with a 4 inch stroke revving at 4500rpms. That is why motors with a longer stroke are tuned for low-end torque instead of top-end power.

look at diesels, long stroke, Monster torque. then look at sport bikes, very short stroke, huge top end power.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 12:51 AM

Unhappy strokers arent for evryone!!

Generally, strokers are kinda poo-poo unless done by the factory, as they tend to develop "issues" without adding deck height, as you have to lower the piston height ,and the rod length has to be increased to clear the piston skirt, etc., ad infinitum... Adding deck height as in a 5.4 , doesnt really make up for the lower hp/ operating rpm, which makes you run on tork, and gives a strong boot in the tail off the line, but kinda fizzles out past four grand.... I know cause I have a 5.4, and it certainly is different, and has only run 15.2 in the quarter, which just doesnt cut it , as far as I am concerned... I will be trying a small powerdyne to correct upper Rpm power curves, but I still do not expect super numbers with it.. Compounding the problem is a nasty harmonic vibration in my bird which ends up needing 3.55 gears to run in a "sweet spot" for normal cruising. however I am shooting myself in the foot as power curves fall off between 4000 and 5300 rpn which is the wot 1-2 and 2-3 shift range.. In the case of the 5.4, the other problems are mostly Induction , as there is nothing out there that has the proper height, lower plenum volume and runner length to make serious H.P. and still fit.. Johnny Langton has a pretty good handle on the rest of the probs involved.. ( I still love mine as a streeter / driver tho')

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in