TCCoA Forums banner

Beware Of Art Carr

811 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  funderbird 
#1 ·
I purchased an Automatic Street Max Non lock-up Transmission with an 9.5" 2400 stall converter from ART CARR last year. I installed it along with a rebuilt longblock earlier this year.I have since put 3000 miles on the motor and transmission and spent countless hours trying to get the transmission to work properly.

In March of 2006 I contacted Art Carr and told them my problems.I was told that the governor was stuck resulting in the slipping and hard down shifts.So I did as they instructed and took the tailshaft housing off and cleaned the governor. Drove the car for 200 miles everything seemed fine until I was on the freeway and my OD went out and a cloud of smoke rose from the console.

So I had the car towed home and parked it.This was my only means of transportation at the time so I had to get a car fast. I found an 89 5 speed with a spun main bearing so I purchased it as my daily driver.I spent a few months getting the motor rebuilt and fixing little problems with the car to make it road ready.

After I got the 5 speed on the road I decided it was time to turn my attention back to pulling the Art Carr transmission out of the other car.I pulled it out and found that the 9.5" converter broke.It then chewed itself up into little pieces of metal which then entered the tranny. So I gave Diane (owner of Art Carr) a call and told her my story...I was told sorry but the warranty has expired but I am really sorry.

I explained to her that I have been trying to resolve the problem for the passed 5 months and the torque converter was the problem and It had a 1 year warranty that expired on 3/06 and she said once again sorry the warranty has expired.Got to love the way they do business at ART CARR and it shows the quality by the way they back their product. The transmission had a 90 warranty if you can call that a warranty I call it selling junk anyone can warranty a piece of junk for 90 days.

So a word to the wise stay away from the Art Carr transmissions if you don't you may have a $2000 dollar paper weight sitting on your garage floor after only 3000 miles!

Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
YUP YUP...I found out the mechanical diode and all that "goog stuff" that we need in our trannys to make um good, was not in my tranny! I read the guy a list of stuff I got from this web site and they said it would be built to that spec, It was not built that way...I spent 1800+ on a glorified stock tranny with a shift kit!

#3 ·
Art Carr and quality do not go together. I remember a vendor here trying to sell Art Carr transmissions as though they were ones spec'd like the tech article on this site suggest. There is only 5 people I would trust to build me a proper 4R70W and you can find 4 of them here and perhaps all 5 at Modular Depot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.