TCCoA Forums banner

Changing heater core, need advice/help desperatley!!!!!!!!

953 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mn12mike 
#1 ·
Well, this is the first time I have ever had a heater core go bad in any car I have ever owned, and it seems, like every thing else on out precious MN12 tbirds, that it is the usual pain in the rear to get to and change. Funny thing is that the directions in the Hanes manual for my 88 Turbocoupe are EXACTLY, WORD FOR WORD, the same instructions for my 89 Supercoupe, go figure right, figure those odds, heck, meybe they are right!!

Anyhow, if anyone has any tips or advice, please email me or respond to this desperate plea for assistance.

Thanks,

Phil

#2 ·
Sir william wrote up an excellent tech article on the subject, i'm not sure if its on the tech articles anymore, but he tells you exactly how to do it. If he doesn't see this post, you might want to send him a PM.

I have done 3 heater cores in two tbirds. And now I would rather pull a motor than change a heater core in these cars.

Justin

#3 ·
Heater Core

Phil,

This must be that time of year for replacement of heater cores. I just did this job yesterday.

The dash bolts around the windshield must come out.
The bolts on either side behind the kick panels.
The 2-bolts on the left side of the console and bracket
Bolt above e-brake bracket acessable one the knee panel below the column.
4-bolts that hold the steering coulmn.
One little nut that is below the center of the dash, forward of the console.
Remove the glove box.

You do need to remove the console from the car.
The biggest pain is the trim to get at the bolts.

Roll the dash forward to get at the core from the passanger side. Remove the few wiring connections at the ATC motor, the blower control module and one other module below the glove box. you will gain enough space to pull the core out the acess door on the heater plenum. You also need to remove the ATC motor from the plenum.

It took me 6-1/2 hours to do by myself.

I only used basic sockets 12mm, 15mm, 7mm, 8mm. Phillips, and regular screwdriver.

Good luck.

Hope that helps....

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.