TCCoA Forums banner

Clay Bar?

1K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  guy1138 
#1 ·
Just wondering if a clay bar is safe for paint without clear coat? Thanx. :confused:

#6 ·
I can't say enough about the Clay Bar. It works wonders.

Took the nasty grit off my wife's car. I did her car in 20 minutes.

My white T-Bird had little rusty colored specks on the paint. I spent an hour one afternoon cleaning the door with rubbing compound and polishing compound. Yes it looked nice and felt smooth, but it was a lot of work. I got the same, if not better, results with the clay bar. And I did the whole car in 15 minutes.

I'm not sure how it does it, but it does a great job.

#13 ·
speed95 said:
I use it to remove paint overspray all the time. I can clay a full size truck and hand wax it in about 2 hours
If it can remove overspray, wont it remove NON-CLEAR COATED paint?

(I dont think I got a difinitive answer the first time?)

#14 ·
It might remove some of the paint. I not sure but I can ask my boss tomorrow when I get to work. I work for a mobile detailing company and learn alot of stuff. What flaws on the paint do you have that makes you want to use a clay bar? If you are just wanting it to shine then the best thing is to use some compound then add some polish and finish it with a good paste wax. I know it sounds like alot of work but you will be surprised with the outcome.

#18 ·
yep, i spent my lovely day off using that thing. It was well worth it. The paint felt new..

#21 ·
AnthraxBird, have you tried a clay bar yet? The only other way I know of is to use rubbing compound, polish, and wax. Dont use a high speed polisher afterwards.

SaleenTBird, You can get clay bars on ebay for around $16. It comes with some spay wax and detailing sprays

#22 ·
AnthraxBird said:
What about swirl marks in the paint??? I can't seem to remove them... On my hood, roof, and trunk lid especially... Any good products / techniques???

Check out www.autopia.org, a detailers hang-out. I've just joined the site, and it helped me immensly with my detail this weekend. To really take care of swirls is an involved process. You need to polish, generally with a buffer, which takes skill, then use high quality wax. You're lucky you don't have a black car. Read the guide on autopia, I can't stress enough how awsome the site is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.