Anyone know of a shop that can do a custom paint job at a decent price?? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Anyone know of a shop that can do a custom paint job at a decent price??

Hey there! I'm looking to get my car painted and I don't really know of any shops in the central/south jersey area that do EXCELLANT work and aren't too pricey..any suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I suggest you change the color of your text.

Mike

- DOHC 4.6
- 4.56 Trac-Loc
- DirtyDog Converter (3,800)
- SCT Micro Tuner from Blue Oval Chips
- 13.24 @ 103mph

ToombsRacing.com
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

lol and why would that be??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 05:44 PM
Veteran Poster

hey welcome to the tccoa boards.

unfortuniatley i can't answer your question, but we have a few guys over at our local t-bird/cougar club site that might be able to help you out, check us out at TSTaCC, just regisiter over there, say hello and post your question, i'm sure your get a decent answer over there.

and your font, it's pretty, but hard to read

good luck with paint & perhaps you might show up to one of meets

~tom

All MN12/FN10 PA/NJ/MD/DE/NY people please check out: TSTaCC, feel free to register & say hi

'Krissy' 1997 Thunderbird LX Sport 281ci
Custom doesn't come in a Box
Slide or Die
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Thanks Tom! I will check that site out and hopefully someone will give me an offer I can't pass up! =)

I may be one of the few girls in the club but I LOVE cars and want to learn as much as I can about them. (Hopefully 'the guys' will pass on some of their knowledge to me)

Thanks again and maybe I'll see ya at one of the meetings or shows! =)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 01:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Im sure you will find out alot here. I have gotten help from many people.

Get in, Sit down, Shut up, Hang on
My mod's
True Duals W/ Flowmaters/ Underdrive Pullies/ Cold Air Induction with custom air box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Shorty Headers/ 1 Kenwood 800 Watt amp/ P&P PI heads/ PI intake/ crower stage 1 cams/ Trac lok 3.73:1 gears/ Block bored 30 over/ Forged crank/ Mahley rod's/ Diamond flat top piston's/ nos kit w/ 100shot and compucar purge/ Dual oil Filter relocator w/ oil cooler/ Trans cooler/ Trans shift kit/ Marauder T/C!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 01:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
With paint & body work, you pretty much get what you pay for. At least at a shop you do. If you can find someone to do it on the side you could get a better price and still good work, but in terms of good shops, there are 2 that I reccomend.

1) Kompact Cars in Millestone. Right off of exit 16 on 195 across 537 from Jackson outlet mall behind accurate automotive. They do the best work I have ever seen, but they are expensive. They remove EVERYTHING from the car. Trim, windows, mirrors, you name it they take it off before they paint.

2) R&A Auto Body on Tennant Road in Morganville. This place isn't as expensive, but they don't take as much stuff off the car. The good thing about this place though is that Andy, the painter there, is a total perfectionist.

Mike

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Smile

Thanks for the suggestions Mike. =)

Right now my car is red (laser red to be exact but it's fading) and even though that is a very pretty color, I'm just not the red car kinda type. I want to have it painted pure white and have a fine grain of silver flake mixed in the base clearcoat, I think that'll look hot!

I've had cars painted at Maaco before (was happy with the job they did on my 83) but the last one (my 95-went from red to pure white) they did such a sh*tty job. There was overspray in my interior and they didn't even take the license holder off to paint underneath that!! I was so disappointed and I paid over $1,000 for that. So yea, I agree, you get what you pay for BUT if I can find a place that can do it around $1500 I'll be happy. I don't need any body work done, just need the driver door hinges replaced (they always go?!?!) and a rear sproiler put on/painted. I should be able to find someone to do it at that price, right??? Or am I dreaming?

I hate goin into shops and asking for parts for my car or if certain things can be done to it, because the guys either think I have "sucker" on my forehead or talk to me like I have 2 brain cells. Most of the time it's little 17 yr old 'boys' working at Pep Boys trying to tell me what I can or can't have done to my car...I feel like telling them to go outside and check the trainer wheels on their bicycles first and then get back to me when they REALLY KNOW what they're talking about. Geeze.

So anyway, any of you guys that have some useful knowledge to pass onto me, it would be greatly appreciated! =)
Oh, I already know about the fibulator that connects to the combagular which makes the spigulater spin....not falling for that one again!

Teresa
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan
TCCoAAC Founding Member

Send a message via AIM to JordanSypek
Professional Smartass, huh? Brian, TCCoAAC application please, this ones got potential.

TCCOAAC (R.I.P. JOEL)
96 4.6 XR7 (T45 Swap, etc.)
97 4.6 Mustang Cobra (28k Miles)
95 4.9 F150 4X4 M5R2)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 09:06 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 93_xr7 Send a message via MSN to 93_xr7 Send a message via Yahoo to 93_xr7
yah i need a norther nj paint shop that will give me a good deal i need my cat painted aswell and my gramps taurus
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 09:48 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
If you guys can wait until october, I'll be moving back up to jersey then and I'll paint your cars for you when I get back.

Mike

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 10:38 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness45oh
Thanks for the suggestions Mike. =)

Right now my car is red (laser red to be exact but it's fading) and even though that is a very pretty color, I'm just not the red car kinda type. I want to have it painted pure white and have a fine grain of silver flake mixed in the base clearcoat, I think that'll look hot!

I've had cars painted at Maaco before (was happy with the job they did on my 83) but the last one (my 95-went from red to pure white) they did such a sh*tty job. There was overspray in my interior and they didn't even take the license holder off to paint underneath that!! I was so disappointed and I paid over $1,000 for that. So yea, I agree, you get what you pay for BUT if I can find a place that can do it around $1500 I'll be happy. I don't need any body work done, just need the driver door hinges replaced (they always go?!?!) and a rear sproiler put on/painted. I should be able to find someone to do it at that price, right??? Or am I dreaming?

I hate goin into shops and asking for parts for my car or if certain things can be done to it, because the guys either think I have "sucker" on my forehead or talk to me like I have 2 brain cells. Most of the time it's little 17 yr old 'boys' working at Pep Boys trying to tell me what I can or can't have done to my car...I feel like telling them to go outside and check the trainer wheels on their bicycles first and then get back to me when they REALLY KNOW what they're talking about. Geeze.

So anyway, any of you guys that have some useful knowledge to pass onto me, it would be greatly appreciated! =)
Oh, I already know about the fibulator that connects to the combagular which makes the spigulater spin....not falling for that one again!
That’s hilarous.

But I think with what you want done; I don't think $1500 is going to cover it!! And like others have said, you get what you pay for. From what I've priced, a "normal" body shop is going to want a MINIMUM of $3k just to spray a car.

Then when you start adding custom color and other things, the price just goes up!!! A very good paint job (which would include door jams, trunk/hood bottoms, etc) is going to run in the ballpark of $5K!!! Especially if you're going with a color change. Keeping it the same color is a lot cheaper because they don't have to paint all the little places like the door jams, etc.

Just my .02 and welcome to TCCoA!!

p.s. The pink is pretty, but some of us old codgers can’t hardly read it!

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
What 94DD said. (Scary, thats the second time today I've agreed with him. Must be the age thing)

anyway, welcome to the boards. I checked your website out and found (based on that) that I like you! but then I've always liked smart asses.

and yea, the pink is cute but very hard to read!

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Ok, so how many people checked out her website after she said she was a girl????

Not that I would know anything about said website...

Release the hounds!!!!!! I can see all the single TCCoA'ers lining up!!!

69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 11:04 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Actually I checked it before she said she was a girl, but after I saw the pink font!

While she is very cute, and I love the attitude, the fact that

(her age X 2) = My age

would seem kinda............ wrong(?). I have a step-daughter her age! (well, ex-wifes daughter) So I bow to my age and simply ask the young men here to give her the respect she deserves, at least here on TCCoA.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

LMAO!! You guys are too funny! (Luv it!!)
Thanks for everyone checking out my homepage/profile...for just a 'small' fee you can check out this other website.......(might wanna make sure the wife and kids aren't around) LOL, I'm sooooo kidding.

Ok after much thought I decided to change my font color from pink to
[B]purple, hope it's better to those with 'pink intolerate eyesight'

As for the whole painting thing....(with tears in my eyes) I guess I'll end up going with Maaco, UNLESS ......I can find a sugar daddy who would just be so honored to pay for a 5k paint job for a po' lil' girl from south jersey who only wants to have a nice, shiny new paint for her car (can you hear the violins playing in the back???) [/B]

Yea I didn't think so either. =( Oh well, back to plan "Z", working for a living.

Thanks again guys, have an awesome day!! =)

Teresa
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness45oh
As for the whole painting thing....(with tears in my eyes) I guess I'll end up going with Maaco, UNLESS ......I can find a sugar daddy who would just be so honored to pay for a 5k paint job for a po' lil' girl from south jersey who only wants to have a nice, shiny new paint for her car (can you hear the violins playing in the back???)

Yea I didn't think so either. =( Oh well, back to plan "Z", working for a living.
Hmmmmmmm......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Main Entry: Sugar Daddy
Function: noun
1 : a well-to-do, usually older man who supports or spends lavishly on a mistress or girlfriend
We need to talk.....

Yes, yes I know.... but at least she isn't from Russia!!!!

69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Awww, what a gentleman! So willing to help out

Now just so you know, I do require the money up front and.....whoa, wait a minute, somebody's sounding like a lil hooker here?!?! (oh, I guess that would imply [email protected]!)

Ok how about this, send a check made payable to "Make-A-Wish (Teresa's car gets painted) Foundation" and I'm sure you can file it as a tax write off so we both win! Sound good??

Teresa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in