TCCoA Forums banner

unplugging rear 02 sensors

990 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  kdanner 
#1 ·
what's the worst case scenario for running a 94 tbird 4.6 with the back two sensors unplugged? the reason i ask is my exhaust fell apart upon removal to do my trans swap (due to poor quality pipes) so i bought thomas's set up. it has the first 2 O2 sensors, then high flow cats, then an h-pipe, then borla glass packs. we both figured worse case i would get a check engine light which i could promptly fix by putting electrical tape over the lense on the back side of the dash :) what r ur opinions/experiences with this. thanks, Dave

#2 ·
it will throw a check code, but I don't think it will hurt anything, get some mil elimintors and be done with it, or make your own from the tech articles, the eec is going to tell you that your cats aren't properly functioning.

#5 ·
Make sure the mil eliminators you get are well sealed; mine got water inside and quit. They were sealed with meltable-liner heat shrink tubing; the seal didn't last. They failed bad enough it apparently caused a problem with the other o2 sensors, because it ran like crap till I took them off.

I took them apart, cleaned, and potted (sealed) them with high temp rtv.

I still have issues with one of them from time to time, but I can clear it and it won't recur for a while. The code doesn't send the eec into safe mode.

If I had it to do over, I'd save the cash towards a tune that turns them off.

#3 ·
The rear o2s arent crucial for your car. I cut mine and it threw a CEL code and cut down gas mileage a bit. You only need the fronts because they keep the air and fuel ratio proper for your engine.

#4 ·
mhmm

#9 ·
It's wrong for 2 reasons. It doesn't have any effect on the fuel economy if the rears don't work. The fronts also don't "keep the air and fuel ratio proper for your engine", they keep it at 14.64 in all stock calibrations, in closed loop only.

Again, stop spreading bad information.

#11 ·
KD instead of just saying wrong, say why it's wrong that'll help people who are misinformed.
I realise you did this later in the post but come on man, you're all over the board here wrong wrong wrong with no reason given. Aren't we here to help the missinformed, uninformed, underinformed not just further confuse them?

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.