what is better engine swap:Mark Motor or 99+GT? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

what is better engine swap:Mark Motor or 99+GT?

I saw the pics of 4 cams bird and they are awesome. what is the best way to go on the engine upgrade? I am seriously looking to do an engine swap early next year.

How much do the Mark engines make and what years to get. facts and info so I can get an idea of what I am talking about. sounds like the Mark motor is the way to go but I don't know. that's why I am asking.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 06:16 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Robinson
youll have to read into his previous posts to find out what exactly he had to do. it wasnt exactly a simple swap, but he was able to grab some of the key parts for a good price. mark viii power ranged anywhere from 260 to 280 (i think) which isnt necessarily better than a 99gt engine. there is more potential in the quad cam engine though, the heads just plain flow better than the SOHC heads.

the 99 will be easier for most people, it doesnt require modification to the wiring at all. the only things that stop a 99 engine from bolting right up in place of the 96+ tbird 4.6 are the motor mounts and the flexplate. pretty easy to fix though. there are other things that need to be done, but nowhere near as involved as the DOHC mark engine.

www.innerlusion.com
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
89 SC 5 speed

FCoNE President
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 06:30 PM
Slacks 12 months a year
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LX-Tasy
which is better?????

Well that depends on what you want to do in the long run.I have a 96 T-Bird and have owned a Lincoln Mark VIII.I loved the Mark but I was limited to power adders,something broke,it was always $$$$ for Lincoln parts or 32 valve parts in general.It all boils down to what you want to do and the amount of money you want to spend.The 32 valve is basically a drop in but there is the fact of wiring it up,are you good at that?I am not so I would go with the GT motor.I am going to build up a Mark VIII block but am going to use the PI heads and so forth.Things just seem simplier with the 2 cam compared to the 4 cam.I am not knocking the 4 cam but I have access to one but here I am going to build a 2 cam insted.
Just my opinion,godd luck at whatever you do and I hope it works out well for you,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

thanks guys. it will be a while before I do this but I would like to start getting info now. I do not plan to put a blower and all that but I would like a better engine than what was put in it(94). I have 110,000 so I feel it is in the future a new engine is aha.....

thanks,
mik
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 07:30 PM
Back in Black

Administrator

161,000 on my 94 and Johnny Langton has us both beat on a newer motor!

R.I.P. Joel Bender 07/30/79 - 03/26/06
R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975-2011

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 AED 349.27RWHP/391.29RWTQ Engine Build Exterior shots
2002 Thunderbird Premium Triple Black 3.9
2015 Fusion Energi SE Luxury Magnetic Gray
*SCRAPPED* 1994 LX 4.6 NA [email protected] 236.07RWHP/286.26RWTQ
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 10:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 4 Cam Bird
280 HP on the early Marks, 290 on the first LSC's and all of the newer Mark's. I saw scanned time slips showing over a .3 gain in the quarter on a 93 Mark with new exhaust though, yeah, conditions very, I am sure conditions for the new exhaust were better because it was closer to .4 then .3 but the Mark motor is still problaby more restricted from the factory than the GT. There is A LOT of wiring there though on mine any how, if you had a 96-97 using a 96-98 Mark motor the wiring should be cut down quite a bit.

Former owner of 94 Bird with DOHC 4.6L swapped from a mark VIII

2011 CTS-V Wagon
1968 Torino was an original 289, C4, fully documented numbers matching car. Now: DOHC 4.6L/T-56 swapped, Cobra intake, IMRC delete, BBK long tubes and H pipe. Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, 9" rear with TrueTrac and 4.11's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in