check engine light Excessive EGR flow - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

check engine light Excessive EGR flow

where do I start with this one. My car has had a little bit of a rough idle. I have a 94 4.6 is there any easy way of changin this valve or what should I check first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 11:53 PM
5w30 Guzzler

Send a message via AIM to chilipepprflea
what code was thrown or what was the exact description of the code?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 07:57 AM
1st Gear Poster

99.999% gaurentee it's your Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) sensor. This sensor detects the difference in pressure between two sample tubes that connect to the main EGR feed tube. The sensor can not be cleaned, only replaced. Clear the code if you can and see if it comes back. If it does come back, the sensor will need to be replaced ... cost about $60-$80 and is very easy to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

how do I know that its this sensor and not the egr valve itself. Is there anyway of checking it. The egr valve itself is a pain in the *** it looks like to remove. I have a 94 where is this sensor and would having a bad sensor possible cause my slight rough idle. I have had the rough idle for a while now and when the check engine light finally came on I figured it could be the problem. I did drive the car for about 4 hours on the highway with no problems. I think that the car is running a little rich Im not getting the best gas mileage and the mufflers drip some water. I don't know if that is normal.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

the code that was thrown was P0402 I believe that the code description is excessive egr flow. Thanks for any help
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 01:09 PM
1st Gear Poster

The EGR valve should be vacuum actuated ... simple to test
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

so just get a hand pump and test the valve. how do you go about testing it though
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Poster

attach a small draw tube to the vacuum nipple and "suck" ... something should happen (internal diaphram opens/closes). If nothing happens, the valve is broken. Again, I highly doubt the valve is the cause ... could be, but doubt it. I have had this happen on all three Ford that I have owned! Each time it has been the DPFE sensor.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

would this sensor cause the car to act up. I have a little bit of a rough idle could that be the cause of it
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 04:04 PM
1st Gear Poster

EGR isn't supposed to be open during idle, only during partial load situations, so yes, it would cause a funky idle is stuck in the open position.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 02:25 AM

Thumbs up Like MyCarMods says

Just to further back up what he says the action of the valve when suction is applied is better observed when it has been removed. You can watch the valve move up and down which means you can see if it sticks or not. (the valve stem can get coked up)

Hope this helps

Chris...............

Quote:
Originally posted by MyCarMods
EGR isn't supposed to be open during idle, only during partial load situations, so
yes, it would cause a funky idle is stuck in the open position.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

its a pain in the *** to remove the egr valve on the 94 though. Some guy told me you have to take off the whole intake. Or is there an easier way of doing it
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

i tried the vacuum line suck trick that you said and it sounded like the valve was opening when i sucked. I also reset the computer and the code hasn't come back its been about 2 days and the light hasn't come back on. what should I do. Would a bad sensor cause the rough idle or would it just be a bad egr.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in