valve tick? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Bone Stock

Send a message via AIM to mngsserder911
valve tick?

Hey guys, just wondering if this is what i think it is *not quite sure*

When my car is at idle at a light or in the driveway i can hear a ticking noise. but when i accelerate the noise goes away. I have a bad feeling it is getting to be the time i just do the PI swap and get rid of the heads i got and get all new valves springs, and followers.

Any input would be great.

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX
4.6L V8
15.41 @ 89.87 MPH
-Cat-back 2.5" flowmaster 40 series (Cut-Outs Coming Soon)
-PI Heads & Cams (Coming Soon)

MY P1443 CURE - CHANGED SPARK PLUGS

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2055391
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 12:43 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to 94fastbird
is it a loud tick, or a barely noticable

Current Mods:
balanced & blueprinted block. by my dad & I @ (The Engine Shop INC.) i'm running manley forged i beam rods, forged manely .020 16cc dish pistons, forged 8 bolt crankshaft thats been polished, corba high volume oil pump, block has been align bored & decked. ported and polished early production heads, heads have been milled, 3 angle valve grind, ported exhaust manifolds, gasket matched intake, dual inlet dual outlet dynomax turbo muffler underseat with 3inch turndowns. transmission heavy duty clutches, b&m shift kit, frrp t lock with 373.
Future Mods:
pi swap with some comp cams and the new trickflow intake, high stall torque converter and mark 8 drive shaft, kooks 3/4 lenth headers and xcal2
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Bone Stock

Send a message via AIM to mngsserder911
a very low volume tick... kinda sounds like a diesel, but goes away after i start moving

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX
4.6L V8
15.41 @ 89.87 MPH
-Cat-back 2.5" flowmaster 40 series (Cut-Outs Coming Soon)
-PI Heads & Cams (Coming Soon)

MY P1443 CURE - CHANGED SPARK PLUGS

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2055391
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 01:57 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to 94fastbird
i know mine did that it was getting wore out, it's not necessarily a bad thing, could have a exhaust leak very small one, then i rebuilt my motor it went away, now mine has a little knock when i first start it up cause of the forged pistons. they just gotta warm up.

Current Mods:
balanced & blueprinted block. by my dad & I @ (The Engine Shop INC.) i'm running manley forged i beam rods, forged manely .020 16cc dish pistons, forged 8 bolt crankshaft thats been polished, corba high volume oil pump, block has been align bored & decked. ported and polished early production heads, heads have been milled, 3 angle valve grind, ported exhaust manifolds, gasket matched intake, dual inlet dual outlet dynomax turbo muffler underseat with 3inch turndowns. transmission heavy duty clutches, b&m shift kit, frrp t lock with 373.
Future Mods:
pi swap with some comp cams and the new trickflow intake, high stall torque converter and mark 8 drive shaft, kooks 3/4 lenth headers and xcal2
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 12:43 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
It could be an injector tick too. Just run some seafoam through your gas, and if you want to through the intake to clean all the carbon up.

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
more than likely it is a hydralic lifter/lash adjuster, either you have a bad one which doesn't pressure up under 1500rpm (common worn) or you have a damaged one in which case the tip has broken kicking the follower out and now the adjuster is slapping against the cam (less likely) either way if you do a PI swap with used heads have the adjusters checked, or if you go with new, make sure you pre-soak them... just my $0.02.... I've seen a lot of this.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in