95 Swap to 5.4L - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

95 Swap to 5.4L

Alright guys, well I was talking to a buddy of mine because I want to supercharge my 95 Bird. However after some research I have found that my stop 4.6L SOHC just is not going to cut it. Im going to need to rebuild the the entire motor. But anyways, a bubby of mine brought up the 5.4L SOHC swap. So the question I have include the following:

1. Will it fit into the T-bird?
2. Where should I go to find the motor?
3. Should I go DOHC on the 5.4
4. How much money and time should I be ready to spend (ballpark estimate)?
5. What supercharger should I look into?
6. If I need a new hood, who should I go to?
7. What (if anything) needs to be done to the motor for the supercharger?
8. What diff. should I go with limited slip; locker; single piece?
9. How much power will it make (ballpark estimate)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher7191 View Post
Alright guys, well I was talking to a buddy of mine because I want to supercharge my 95 Bird. However after some research I have found that my stop 4.6L SOHC just is not going to cut it. Im going to need to rebuild the the entire motor. But anyways, a bubby of mine brought up the 5.4L SOHC swap. So the question I have include the following:

1. Will it fit into the T-bird?
2. Where should I go to find the motor?
3. Should I go DOHC on the 5.4
4. How much money and time should I be ready to spend (ballpark estimate)?
5. What supercharger should I look into?
6. If I need a new hood, who should I go to?
7. What (if anything) needs to be done to the motor for the supercharger?
8. What diff. should I go with limited slip; locker; single piece?
9. How much power will it make (ballpark estimate)?

1) yes, the sohc 5.4 will fit
2) greenleafauto.com or your local junk yard
3) no, a dohc 5.4 will not fit w/out extensive modifications
4) greenleafauto.com $1,700; local junk yard $600 engine/tranny only
5) Allen
6) vfn hood, supercoupeperformance.com, cobra r hood
7) mild boost nothing, more than 15 lbs forge everything/lower compression
8) your call trac-lok, ox locker, open, 4.10 or 3.73 depending
9) 300-350 hp roughly

10) you need a chip go to sctchips or blueovalchips.com

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
*adds this to his list of 5.4 swaps that will never happen, until proven otherwise*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 11:26 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

people should really read around this board a bit more before even asking. Im power hungry and I dont even care about the 5.4, its simply not worth the trouble in a t-bird. The only car the 5.4 would benefit is the panther platform cars because of the weight or the mustang if you are a mustang nut since its been done in a cobra R, its clearly possible. Seriously though I havent seen a good reason to bother with the 5.4 instead pursuing the possibilities of the 4.6. Ok ill shut up now.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 12:17 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
you want more bore, not more stroke. the 5.4L single cam is great to tow stuff with, like my truck....and unless its got an air compressor on it, it is just a "dump truck motor".

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 03:49 AM
6th Gear Poster

Garage
I say go for the swap. I myself currently have a 5.4 sitting in my barn waiting to go into my 95 Bird. I am just waiting to get the cash for an intake manifold and cams.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 05:19 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
dont tell me you want to do a performance build around a naturally aspirated 2V 5.4?!?....at least the thread starter threw in the idea of supercharging it which would help cylinder-filling problems at higher RPMs

so you want to cam a mod 5.4 and shift the torque/HP peak up higher on the RPM band, right where the massive air choking happens that so far no intake manifold has yet to resolve? ....good luck with that
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 11:13 AM
6th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
dont tell me you want to do a performance build around a naturally aspirated 2V 5.4?!?....at least the thread starter threw in the idea of supercharging it which would help cylinder-filling problems at higher RPMs

so you want to cam a mod 5.4 and shift the torque/HP peak up higher on the RPM band, right where the massive air choking happens that so far no intake manifold has yet to resolve? ....good luck with that
The intake manifold that I am looking at is the new trickflow track heat, which accepts a twin bore cobra throttle body. I looks similar to the bullit, but it has shorter and wider intake runners. With that intake, a good set of cams, stage2/ 3 ported heads, and a converter from dirty dogg, you would have a N/A 2 valve Triton that would be extremely hard for just about any natural street car to touch.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

well therein lies the ambiguitity of the statement "extemely hard for just about any natural street car to touch"

are you talking about "stoplight wars"? ....or are you talkin about 1/4 mile performance?

the massive low-end torque from a 5.4 mod motor would definitely make you a contender in stoplight wars, but in a drag race where you no longer exploit low-RPM torque of the 5.4 is where the 5.4's inadequacies as a drag-race motor become fully exposed

good luck with your endeavor, and i hope you succeed where everyone one has failed...... like i said before, no offense but i'll believe it when i see it
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well my idea was to build a Lighting motor and drop it in. I know those Lightings make 380hp. But what im truely interested in is the 450 ft/lbs of torque to get off the line, what GUITAR MANESTRO said,"stop light wars." The way I look at it I only have to go 500ft to know I've won the race.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
http://www.geocities.com/v8thunder54/triton.html

Quote:
... The results? Well, I get awesome mileage, enough torque to pull a house, and high 14s, even with the 3.08 gears. And traction problems.
IMHO, a lot of money that could be spent on an Explorer motor and other upgrades. As noted in the quote above, without some serious meat under the rear end you'll just smoke the tires.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 03:02 PM
6th Gear Poster

Garage
If the 5.4 truly has not true racing potential, than why is FORD using that engine on the GT Supercar and the Shelby 500. It is true that they are DOHC and supercharged, but so many of you nay-sayers keep getting back to its long stroke. If the stroke is the limiting factor like everyone else tells me, than why is FORD using that block in such elite and spectacular cars.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

thunderstruck, we were talking about a NATURALLY ASPIRATED 5.4 mod motor......under forced induction things change drastically, since air is being forced into the cylinder, thereby alleviating high-RPM choking.

that is why nearly all 'peformance' built vehicles to come from ford with a 5.4 (whether SOHC or DOHC) have forced induction....hardly any other way to get performance out of it.....of course i wont forget the 2000 Cobra R......but i dont have to, since to this date no one has shown it is possible to install a DOHC 5.4 mod motor in an stock chassis mn12, and also some of the parts on the Cobra R were designed solely for that car at that time...no other production vehicle received those "one-off" parts, so to speak

as far as stroke, it is important, again, in naturally aspirated form.....the 2V modular engine already has too long of a stroke compared to its bore diameter, and this prevents good high-RPM breathing capabilities when it alone is responsible for introducing air into the cylinders at high-RPM.......so now with a longer stroke, and still only 1 heavily shrouded intake valve, there are even more cubic inches to be filled and too much valve-shrouding to allow free-breathing

so there is the answer to your questions, thunderstruck95
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 95xbird Send a message via MSN to 95xbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post

IMHO, a lot of money that could be spent on an Explorer motor and other upgrades. As noted in the quote above, without some serious meat under the rear end you'll just smoke the tires.
HAHAHAHA,

I got a mid 14 on an explorer with a tune and a whole lot less work than a 5.4 swap.And it was on a stock stall.

And I ran it with 90+ degrees and 70% humidity.

I guess my money was better spent on the 4.6 PI motor.lol

04 PI swap,SVO Supercharger 8-9 psi,Alcohol injection,39lbs Cobra injectors,XCal2-Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump,4.10 T-Lok,2003 4R70W built to withstand by RobertP,450hp JMOD,3800 circleD stall,trucool 4739 Trans Cooler,Dynotech 3.5 Driveshaft,70mm T/B,SCP Cold Air Intake,90mm LMAF,JBA headers,Magnaflow Midmount,No cats with 3inch piping,Vogtland 1.6inch drop,Cobra R's and xenon body kit.

Its slow, Really.
LS1 KILLER
1995 svo Tbird. R.I.P.
Parts FOR SALE http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132585
96 Pearl white bird. Awaiting transplants from the 95

Last edited by 95xbird; 11-19-2007 at 06:17 PM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 08:11 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post

Don't believe this guy's propaganda. He was exposed as a fraud a long, long time ago. I remember reading his web page when I was a junior in high school, back in 1998. At the time, a mid-14 was fast around here. His claims laid the foundation for a lot of the die-hard 5.4 guys around here. Brian (V8Thunder) eventually claimed to go into the 13's N/A. BUT...it was eventually shown that he used some amount of nitrous in the process.

A 2V 5.4 is only worth the effort if it's got a power adder. The boost really helps make up the short comings of the goofy cylinder geometry, anemic heads, and inadequate intake. Those negative factors severely limit flow; however, a pressure differential from a blower changes all the rules. The Lightning setup won't clear any sort of hood though. If a 4.6L Vortech bracket could be adapted to fit a 5.4, that would probably be your best bet.

The 32V 5.4 is another story. Good luck making it fit, and have fun trying to find an intake manifold that will clear any sort of hood. The Navigator and Aviator with adaptors are both too tall. The Cobra R is unobtanium. The FR500 is nice, but you'll empty your pocket for it even before you figure out adaptors. Your only option would be the 99 Cobra / Mach 1 setup with some sort of plate setup, which would most likely clear the stock 97 hood...but that still doesn't fix the issues with the shock towers and frame. I don't see any way around that issue.

Pete

-97 XR-7
-5.0 Big Bore ...
Ran @ Normal Operating Temps, No Race Tune, No Setup Changes from Daily Driven Configurations
9.0 @ 78 (1/8 Mile only in Abilene )
2.06 60' on Street Tires (BFG G-Force Super Sport 245/50/16)
3805 Lbs, Stock Exhaust Manifolds
Density Altitude = 4132'
That Run, Corrected for Standard Day
1/8 mile: 8.75 @ 82

Last edited by BIG PETE; 11-21-2007 at 02:34 AM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 11:52 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher7191 View Post
Well my idea was to build a Lighting motor and drop it in. I know those Lightings make 380hp. But what im truely interested in is the 450 ft/lbs of torque to get off the line, what GUITAR MANESTRO said,"stop light wars." The way I look at it I only have to go 500ft to know I've won the race.
want torque?....you dont need a stroked-out 4.6 (which is what a 5.4 basically is) to get it and win your 500' stoplight wars....luckily for physics, torque is not a conserved physical quantity within the drivetrain......what does that mean?.....means if your engine makes 300 ft*lbs, you dont dont have to live with just those 300 ft*lbs......you can get more torque to the wheels than the engine could ever dream to make at the crank, thru mechanical leverage...in other words: gearing.......both the gears in the trans and in the differential, positively multiply torque to the wheels, which is what is really responsible for the total acceleration of the vehicle.......omitting losses and torque multiplication from the torque converter, we have:

Torque_at_wheels= Brake_Torque*Current_Trans_Gear_ratio*Rear_End_Gea r_Ratio

a 2V 4.6 PI engine can make rougly 300 ft*lbs.....since your trans gear ratios stay the same 'cause all 4R70Ws have the same ratios, we can omit the middle term and just look at the rear end ratio

(450 ft*lbs) * 3.27 = (300 ft*lbs) * X_Gears

so how much rear end gearing would you need to make the same torque at the wheels as a Lightning motor in your car with 3.27s?......4.91:1......a close ratio offered by most gear manufacturers would be 4.88s

sounds crazy, but you will end up with pretty much the same torque at the wheels as a stock Lightning motor....if you have 3.08s, then a close enough gear would be 4.56s

in a 1/4 mi drag race, a Lightning motor would still get you down there faster, but that is because it makes more Horsepower (what really wins races)....but for only 500', shorter gears will definitely get you there faster and a heck of a lot easier/cheaper than trying to duplicate a Lightning motor and dropping it in your car.......i've seen several mn12s on ebay with Lightning motors sitting in the engine bay.......usually sellers say: engine is in, but it not connected....ran out of funds....plans changed....etc....etc........read between the lines and hopefully you'll realize just how much of a challenge it would be to have a fully functional Lightning motor in an MN12
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 02:36 AM
PostWhore

for what Maestro said. Pretty much hit the nail right on the head. I still think an adaptation of a 4.6 Vortech on a 5.4 front cover would be your best bet to clear the hood and follow the Lightning's example, all without the ass pain of fooling with the hood issues.

Pete

-97 XR-7
-5.0 Big Bore ...
Ran @ Normal Operating Temps, No Race Tune, No Setup Changes from Daily Driven Configurations
Density Altitude = 4132'
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Veteran Poster

can't you stroke the 4.6 in to a 5.1 fairly easy
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BIRD 90 View Post
can't you stroke the 4.6 in to a 5.1 fairly easy
the point isnt to stroke a 4.6L, its to bore it.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 95xbird Send a message via MSN to 95xbird
If you want a stroked 4.6 than look at the 5.4.lol

Joe is right,You bore the 4.6.I believe BigPete is running a 4.6 bored to a 5.0.

04 PI swap,SVO Supercharger 8-9 psi,Alcohol injection,39lbs Cobra injectors,XCal2-Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump,4.10 T-Lok,2003 4R70W built to withstand by RobertP,450hp JMOD,3800 circleD stall,trucool 4739 Trans Cooler,Dynotech 3.5 Driveshaft,70mm T/B,SCP Cold Air Intake,90mm LMAF,JBA headers,Magnaflow Midmount,No cats with 3inch piping,Vogtland 1.6inch drop,Cobra R's and xenon body kit.

Its slow, Really.
LS1 KILLER
1995 svo Tbird. R.I.P.
Parts FOR SALE http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132585
96 Pearl white bird. Awaiting transplants from the 95

Last edited by 95xbird; 11-23-2007 at 07:21 PM.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 10:25 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95xbird View Post
I believe BigPete is running a 4.6 bored to a 5.0.
As far as I know, TGJ (Todd) and I are the only two on the boards with one in a MN-12. AWDRocks has one in his Explorer.

Pete

-97 XR-7
-5.0 Big Bore ...
Density Altitude = 4132'
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Add me to the list of folks with big bore 4.6L-2V engines in their MN12s. The engine was built by ModularPerformance, and is topped by a Roush (SVO) supercharger. The engine has been running for about three weeks now, still breaking it in. Due to the impending Michigan winter, I won't get the car to the dragstrip until next spring.

MikeB
1997 Thunderbird Sport
5.0L-2V PI S/C
540 RWHP / 492 RWTQ
11.28 @ 123 MPH
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 12:32 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Add me to the list of folks with big bore 4.6L-2V engines in their MN12s. The engine was built by ModularPerformance, and is topped by a Roush (SVO) supercharger. The engine has been running for about three weeks now, still breaking it in. Due to the impending Michigan winter, I won't get the car to the dragstrip until next spring.

Definitely keep us posted on that. I always thought a bored 4.6 with an SVO would be a good combo

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #24 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

The swap is not that hard to me. I have done it twice and can do it in a few days...

The NA needs heads and an intake. The intake is coming at HPS! You need an aluminum intake like I have just in case you wanted to blast her with NoX.

But this thread is asking about a SC 5.4L... There your best reference is Jake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
1) yes, the sohc 5.4 will fit
2) greenleafauto.com or your local junk yard
3) no, a dohc 5.4 will not fit w/out extensive modifications
4) greenleafauto.com $1,700; local junk yard $600 engine/tranny only
5) Allen
6) vfn hood, supercoupeperformance.com, cobra r hood
7) mild boost nothing, more than 15 lbs forge everything/lower compression
8) your call trac-lok, ox locker, open, 4.10 or 3.73 depending
9) 300-350 hp roughly

10) you need a chip go to sctchips or blueovalchips.com
I agree with Chris but wiht the following clarifications:
4) Though outdated this is what it cost me back in 99.

5) Allen would be a easier choice because their intake will flow better. At one time they were willing to make a wider version of the 4.6L T-Bird SC kit. This is the option I recommended to Jake but he was a Master Merchant Mechanic and wanted to build something. Plus he could not afford to buy a SC kit and his labor was free...

6) You may need a custom hood. If I had to do it all over again I would buy or modify my K-member so the whole thing sat lower. (keep stock suspension height and custom pinion angle) like I discussed here. Then a nice set of Kooks headers just may fit and improve things greatly. Otherwise you will have to mod your stock headers. I can give you info on that too...

8) 3.27 or 3.55 are the best for a 5.4L in a MN12. More than that it will be hard to drive. The choice should be made on your power band in a Dyno run. You are going to need a strong transmission. I have an Art-Carr.

9) Problem with Allen is that you are not going to get more than 350 HP with a M90. A 5.4L can use a larger blower. Remember your intake, heads, headers and exhaust must all be designed for high air flow. My heads/ headers are restrictive. Jakes was more so since he had NG heads. The system flow and HP will be determined by the lowest flow component.

10) To date most of the 5.4L's were tuned by Diablo. Not saying that Lonnie can not do it. We all know he is capable. But as far as I know to this date he has not tuned a 5.4L on a dyno. Diablo has the experience and the history at the factory.

To be honest I would look at a EEC tuner instead of the chip. The EEC tuner files (GUI) for a 94/ 95 are exceptional and will allow you to do whatever you want with that engine.

J.Miller
East Coast Rolling Thunder!!!!
Official Eastern and Central PA chapter of the SCCoA!

Last edited by J.Miller; 11-27-2007 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in