new weird issues after dohc swap - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to AtroXR7 Send a message via Yahoo to AtroXR7
new weird issues after dohc swap

ok i cant seem to figure out what is going on here. I got my other catalytic converter cut off and bolted it up to the manifold so with a cat on each side, then open pipe, i felt safe enough to start a test drive and see how things are. remember this is a 96 cougar harness and computer with a 96 mark engine.

I've gotten a few tranny codes, namely P0708, P0713, and P0720. I had a lot of tranny fluid on the connectors before and i cleaned them with electrical cleaner, let it dry, and afterwards on my last scan, got a P0713 a few times but mostly the blinking OD light is off, im thinking maybe there was a bit of fluid left in the connectors thats drying out perhaps?

For the engine... I have no response from my water temp gauge, not sure what i did wrong there.
Just this last startup i got a P1270 (rev limit or speed limit reached) i also notice the fuel would shut off at 3k when i was in the driveway... i did get above 3k on the road without problem.

My biggest concern is a mean backfire, i believe only from the passenger side. And it only happens when the engine starts to warm up. But once it warmed up a bit on the mile drive i went on, it was a vicious backfire, i had to idle home to avoid it. I have no clue whats causing it. I had it before bolting on that cat, and i figured it was simply from running with an open manifold.

Oh and I have a P1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
you do have a Xcal2 to datalog, correct?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

yes but my laptop battery took a dump so i cant do anything right now. Im trying to dig up a new battery for it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
you dont need a laptop to do On-Device Datalogging....you can create a LiveLog file on whichever computer you are using right now, and yada yada yada......get some datalogging done
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

this computer is only capable of linux unfortunately, this has been a difficult season for me... nothing wants to be easy. Ill try going to my parents and see if I can get an on device datalog to work. I was never successful with it before.the strategy code of the computer simply was rejected when i tried to intiate a session. I'll try tonight hopefully.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

ok I have my sisters laptop for a while. Its vista but compatibility mode seems to be working well for me. Let me know if you wanna see the log files. I dont have any online space to stash em in at the moment.

I logged IAT, borderline spark, coolant temp, dashpot, all short and long term fuel trims, maf counts, rpm, and TPS.

Biggest thing im seeing right now is the long term fuel trims. On my first log, sitting in park and reving some, I ranged from .984 to 1.305 on bank one, and .871 to 1.000 on 2. That 1.3 was during idle... it was just rising. I didnt notice anything to extreame when reving. Sort terms were around a lot too, but less than 20%.

2nd log I put it in drive stood on the brakes and reved to about 1200. Bank 1 was sitting around 1.18 and dropped to about 1 when i put it in gear and reved. Stayed dead still there, almost looks like a flatline. Bank 2 again never went about 1 and stayed above .87 the whole time. It doesnt seem to make sense. Its going really lean idling but under load its pretty close and backfiring like mad.

temps are showing up just fine so that eases my mind a bit. Im really not seeing much out of the ordinary here. Any ideas what i should look for?

Oh and im pretty sure ill be needing to change that maf. I almost hit 700 counts at 3k rpm
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

bah... just tried to post a big msg and an error lost the whole thing

I ran 2 logs, mostly increasing revs slowly. first one, fuel trims were a lot closer to normal, O2 voltages were flipping pretty good, bank1 a little weak so that sensor may be taking a dump soon. my rpm pegged at 3k tho. Just like hitting the rev limiter.

2nd run, I returned to stock tune (my stock is not stock anymore due to an xc2 error. but its close, only a few things are changed. I think O2's are turned off and adaptive fuel is off) so yeah, bank1 O2, right around .1 most of the time, bank2 around .9 Not sure why they're doing that but i figure they must be turned off or something near that. everything else was running pretty good, but the rpm's pegged @ 2000 rpm this time, again, just like a rev limiter. (i think the 1000rpm difference is the change in the 2 tunes)

The best i can figure is that some how my rev limiter has ben offset by about 3500 rpm. Anyone have any ideas??
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

well first off, the maf curve isnt linear, so the counts will not increase as much as the RPMs go up

so this is still with open pipes after the manifolds? where are your upper O2 sensors located?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

no, i managed to get a cat on the other side. one side the cat is open, the other has maybe a foot of pipe after the cat(bank1) bank2 O2 is in the manifold casting i think, bank1 O2 is in the transition pipe of the cat.

yeah i know the curve isnt linear, but remember im spiking 700 without the secondary pipes being commanded. by the hp numbers i should be able to tune my way through it. But I think im gonna be wanting at least an 80mm pretty soon.

Is it possible my crank sending unit is cause this rev limit? or should i be looking solely in the software for this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

ok, i managed to repair my laptop, and im cracking these problems really quickly now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in