still running weird - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
still running weird

ok well i have have posted allot on here about this..... but im starting to get REALLY REALLY tired of driving my car around with 1/4 the power its supposed to have, and getting 13 MPG... well it seems to run fine and 1/8th throttle the but who drives around at 1/8 throttlle anyway. as soon as you push to 1/4 or 1/2 throttle the RPM will go to 2000 and almost stops moving, wile the Speed keeps increasing VERY VERY VERY slow. you can feel the car wanting to go but its like something is holding it back. i know the first thing you going to say is pluged CATS but it runs beutifully every now and then and cats dont plug and unplug.... i have replaced the MAF, TPS, plugs and wires, fuel filter( on right way), changed fluid and filter in trans. my trans seems to shift ok too and the OD works fine. if anybody has had similar problems or knows whats wrong im ready to hear about anything right now....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 12:27 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
when you go to the upper portions of the throttle range and the speed increases very very slowly, is there a bucking or jerking associated with it, or is it still smooth acceleration, just very slowly?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 02:01 AM
6th Gear Poster

Actually I had a car several years ago that the cats would plug and unplug. Sometimes I could feel the exhaust flowing out smoothly at the muffler tips and other times (when the car had no power) I would feel nothing. I assumed it was chunks of the element breaking loose and plugging the exhaust and then eventually working it's way out. After a couple months though all of the loose crap must have worked it's way out cause I never had another problem after that.

teksid block with forged internals, MHS stage 2 heads and cams, 80 mm 03 Mustang MAF, Bullitt intake with Accufab oval throttle body, Kooks headers, 2.5 inch catless true dual exhaust, w/x pipe and Magnaflow Magnapacks, Dirty Dog 3000 stall marauder tq converter, BC automotive built 4R70w transmission ,MMX Dynotech Drive shaft, Trac loc differential with 3.73's, custom made fssb, and lecb, rear shock tower brace by Azzkickers, JL subframe connectors, Eibach 1.5" lowering springs, koni shocks, dyno tune by Tim Barth at Mr Norm's garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
its smooth acceleration no surging or anything. just really slow and laggy
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 08:11 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Have you checked your fuel pressure regulator?

J.Miller
East Coast Rolling Thunder!!!!
Official Eastern and Central PA chapter of the SCCoA!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 10:32 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Yes cats do plug and unplug!

My daughter's 1996 T-bird's cats started to melt internally, and the cat "brick" would just rattle around inside the shell. If yours are damaged, you could have them not plugged once in a while, enough to let you know your car can still run.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 08:04 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Miller View Post
Have you checked your fuel pressure regulator?
thats what i was thinking....on top of a bad fuel pump.

pimp'n aint easy

mods: air silencer delete w/ k&n panel filter, magnaflow di/do tru duals w/all cats removed, sct 92 oct tune by blue oval chips, tokico advanced handling suspension kit
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

It is on the fuel rail in a 95.

J.Miller
East Coast Rolling Thunder!!!!
Official Eastern and Central PA chapter of the SCCoA!
post #9 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Veteran Poster

I would agree with fuel pressure checks first. Rev the engine up and watch to see if it dips also. Fuel filter is a cheap and easy part to replace.

So the car still accelerates even though the rpm stays the same, but rpm will not go above 2000 even during WOT?
I would think a car doing this would be throwing at least one code.

Since you don't mention it then the EEC thinks things are fine.

You don't mention if the engine will rev without load. Does it act normal in neutral? Can you floor it and have it rev up beyond 2k like a normal car?

If you really think about it, it sounds to me like it thinks it is at the rev limiter. Does it stumble or bounce like that?

At any rate, I would either pay for a decent diagnosis or start replacing things from the cheapst up. My money would be on the EEC if it ends up the exhaust breaths ok and fuel pressure is good.
Injectors are driven by the EEC. You might check to see how much voltage is being driven to the injectors.

Most fun I ever had was with the Texas TCCOA guys making power and drag racing.

Now I am using a 2001 BMW M3 Vert for fun.
post #10 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 04:24 PM
6th Gear Poster

Easy way to check ur exhaust, just feel how much is coming out of the tailpipe. If it's plugged you will barely feel any exhaust coming from them. If you're not sure about how it should feel check another vehicle. Should be pretty noticable, at least mine was when it clogged.

teksid block with forged internals, MHS stage 2 heads and cams, 80 mm 03 Mustang MAF, Bullitt intake with Accufab oval throttle body, Kooks headers, 2.5 inch catless true dual exhaust, w/x pipe and Magnaflow Magnapacks, Dirty Dog 3000 stall marauder tq converter, BC automotive built 4R70w transmission ,MMX Dynotech Drive shaft, Trac loc differential with 3.73's, custom made fssb, and lecb, rear shock tower brace by Azzkickers, JL subframe connectors, Eibach 1.5" lowering springs, koni shocks, dyno tune by Tim Barth at Mr Norm's garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in