P0102 Code MAF or TPS????? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

P0102 Code MAF or TPS?????

Ok ok, yes i did do a search on this code and found out a bunch of info. I am finally getting my car back together and the thing runs like crap. It is really hesitant when you stab the throttle under any load. even in neutral there is still a slight hesitation.

I have a new 80mm maf, I will try cleaning it when i get home any way, but I read about someone having to replace the throttle position sensor after getting the same code? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance!

-Robert

'97 LX - SCT Chip Tuned By Lonnie, 70mm Throttle Body, 80mm MAF, K&N Panel, Stock Airbox - Resonator Removed, 2.25 True Dual Exhaust w/ Mid mounted Magnaflow 3" Oval Tips, T/L 3.27, Mark VIII Driveshaft, 22C Plugs, 180 T-Stat

'99 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4
SCT - Troyer Tuned, Air Force One Intake, MSD Ignition, Flowmaster Duals, Lifted, 35" BFG's, Removed Door Moldings, More to Come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
yea its not diagnosing that the MAF is bad, just that the signal is low.....the problem is that we dont know what its comparing it to, or using, to determine just how low it is with respect to what it should be.....i can see how a bad, or improperly set TPS can affect this, since the computer can look at the TPS and see a large voltage, but not an appropriate increase in airflow from the MAF, and thinks something is wrong somewhere

when you installed your 70mm TB, did you make sure you set the TPS voltage at 0.98-0.99 VDC?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

no I just bolted the thing on, connected the linkage, plugged it in and off I went. I dont recall lonnie saying anything about setting the voltage on it.

Does the fact that I drove the car for 3mos about 5k miles without setting the voltage effect anything?

Also, I hit a van pretty hard, could that have knocked my sensor out of adjustment?

'97 LX - SCT Chip Tuned By Lonnie, 70mm Throttle Body, 80mm MAF, K&N Panel, Stock Airbox - Resonator Removed, 2.25 True Dual Exhaust w/ Mid mounted Magnaflow 3" Oval Tips, T/L 3.27, Mark VIII Driveshaft, 22C Plugs, 180 T-Stat

SCT - Troyer Tuned, Air Force One Intake, MSD Ignition, Flowmaster Duals, Lifted, 35" BFG's, Removed Door Moldings, More to Come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
no, it wont move once its bolted down, but you do need to make sure it is set to 0.98-0.99 VDC by loosening the screws a little, and rotating it slightly while viewing the voltage with a digital multimeter, and make sure it continuously and smoothly goes up in voltage up to about 4.7 VDC or so......if there are any large, erratic fluctuations in voltage as you manually open the the throttle body to its fully open position, it may be time to get a new TPS

lonnie may have simply forgotten to mention it, or assumed you already read his tech article on his webpage:

http://www.blueovalchips.com/index.p...n=throttle_pos
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I'll check as soon as i get off work. Thanks

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Ok, I checked the voltage at the TPS and everything is perfect. I have access to another 97 bird. we switched the maf and no difference. The service manual says you need to have at least 10.5 volts across the "a" and "b" wires to the maf. I have less than .5 volt? Where should I look next? COuld this be a computer problem? We checked the other bird and it had 13.69

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

if you only have 0.5V then you sure do have problems there.....wire A provides full system voltage to the MAF, and B is chassis ground, that is why you should have over 12V and not over 14.4V (same as voltage at the battery when the car is running).....with the car off, it should still read ~12V

try this.....with the car running, probe wire A, but ground the other multimeter lead to a good chassis ground.......does it show full system voltage?

if NO (wire A didnt show full voltage) then you may have a shorted circuit not providing full voltage to the MAF, or the fuse for the MAF is blown in the power distribution box

if YES, wire A is receiving full voltage, and you now need to check wire B for ground continuity......probe wire B with the ground lead from the mulitmeter, and use the positive lead from the multimeter and probe the battery positive terminal......does the multimeter show full voltage? if yes then wire B is OK, if no, wire B is not connected to chassis ground and you must trace the wire to see where the problem is
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Wire A (red) has only .447Volt, Wire B (blk w/wht) is a perfect ground. I followed wire "a" and it leads down to the PCV valve on the evap canister. Yes, i stripped the electrical tape and everything off to expose the wires thinking I could find a short somewhere. No breaks in the wires at all, still .447 volt at the pcv. Is the pcv supposed to power the MAF?????

If the MAF gets power from the PCV, What powers the PCV???? Im so confused

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I believe i found the short circuit in my wiring. I now have 13.2 volts to the maf "a" wire. I still have a miss and I believe it may be the #6 cyl injector. All cylinders have great spark, they are fireing in the right order, and all injectors have power. Should I be able to unplug an injector with no change in engine rpm?

............Im pretty confident that I have had 2 seperate problems this whole time. I guess these issues will come up when you take a car that was headed for the scrapper and piece it back together. take a look at my gallery and you can see what im talkin 'bout. thanks for all the great help.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 12:43 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

whether or not you can unplug an injector to see if there is a misfire there all depends on the severity of the misfire....if it is a random misfire, then you may see a change in RPM....if it is constant, then you probably wont
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

what is the best way to test an injector?

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 04:24 AM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
Listen for the ticking sound, you can also feel the ticking by putting your finger on the injector.

I had the same code when I installed my 80mm MAF...My wires needed to be solderd for a good conection, before that I had a 75mm ProFlow so I had to change out to the new MAF plug. After I fixed my wires I reset the computer and let her idle for a good while so she could learn the new tune. I then drove around for a good 10 minutes too. Then she ran like a champ.

Here is an old thread

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free

Last edited by OxmanWI; 12-31-2007 at 04:38 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Looks like my injector is good, I can both hear and feel it pulsing. I have a bad plug wire to #6. Initially, i thought it was good because when i pulled the wire off the plug spark would leap down to the plug. It wasnt until I re-checked the wire that it came out in two pieces. the metal piece inside the boot stayed on the plug and the boot came off. If i wiggle the boot around, I get fire.

Rookie Mistake, I know lol

Thanks for the help!

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Anyone have a set of plug wires they want to sell?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in