Couple of Codes. Need advice.. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
Couple of Codes. Need advice..

On my dads 96 cougar, engine light is one and went to vato zone to get it checked.

1.- They told me that the back O2 sensors needed replacement.
2.- PO401: EGR. Were do I start checking?! They said that the EGR solenoid is faulty, egr pressure and position sensor failed.
3.- P1443: EVAP Canister. Is that the black canister on the passenger side?! They told me that the pressure sensor failed, or that it might be a blocked hose and evap purge valve is closed....

What ya guys think?

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

Nuttin make you feel more like a man in a Thunder Cougar Falcon Bird

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
for 1443, replace the canister and solenoid, but also, get some new generic heater hose. the reason being,...when i replaced mine, the hose was cracked and dry rotted, thus necessitating replacement.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
p1443 is usually dry rotted vac hoses

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Cat View Post
On my dads 96 cougar, engine light is one and went to vato zone to get it checked.

1.- They told me that the back O2 sensors needed replacement.
2.- PO401: EGR. Were do I start checking?! They said that the EGR solenoid is faulty, egr pressure and position sensor failed.
3.- P1443: EVAP Canister. Is that the black canister on the passenger side?! They told me that the pressure sensor failed, or that it might be a blocked hose and evap purge valve is closed....

What ya guys think?
P0401 is low EGR flow. It's most likely either carbon buildup in the EGR passage or a bad DPFE. It's cheaper to unbolt the valve and check to see if the passage needs to be cleaned first.

P1443 happens all the time on these cars. As it was said the emission lines to the EVAP canister dry-rot. Most of the time just replacing them will suffice. Make sure to use emissions line.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 01:40 AM
3rd Gear Poster

p1443

My daughter's p1443 was a rotted hose beside the engine on the lower shelf. My p1443 was just removing and reconnecting the electricals at the can.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
Well.. Bought the solenoid for the EVAC and changed the hoses and the code went away. Also, I changed the EGR gasket and cleaned it and I still have the code for the EGR. How can I check if its the EGR solenoid or the EGR?!
Aaahh.. Also, when I restarted the EEC, the codes for the back O2 sensors went away

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 05:38 PM
6th Gear Poster

If the O2 code comes back you can either get a MIL eliminator kit or the xcal2 can take care of that nasty lil problem as well. I mean do you really care if your catalyst is working or not?

teksid block with forged internals, MHS stage 2 heads and cams, 80 mm 03 Mustang MAF, Bullitt intake with Accufab oval throttle body, Kooks headers, 2.5 inch catless true dual exhaust, w/x pipe and Magnaflow Magnapacks, Dirty Dog 3000 stall marauder tq converter, BC automotive built 4R70w transmission ,MMX Dynotech Drive shaft, Trac loc differential with 3.73's, custom made fssb, and lecb, rear shock tower brace by Azzkickers, JL subframe connectors, Eibach 1.5" lowering springs, koni shocks, dyno tune by Tim Barth at Mr Norm's garage
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by white 97 lx View Post
If the O2 code comes back you can either get a MIL eliminator kit or the xcal2 can take care of that nasty lil problem as well. I mean do you really care if your catalyst is working or not?
No not really.. Just as long as I get good MPG...

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 08:04 PM

If you apply vacuum to the EGR valve and the engine stumbles pretty well, you can pretty much rule out the valve itself. That doesn't mean it's the solenoid though. EGR flow is measured by the DPFE, so either the DPFE is measuring less flow than there actually is, or the EVR isn't regulating the vacuum to the valve correctly. The DPFE is a known item to fail on these cars.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in