Using A Mustang Intake Tube - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Using A Mustang Intake Tube

Anybody here use an intake tube designed for a 4.6 96-04 mustang? I know that a while back porkchop made a BBK intake work with his PI bird, but i can't seem to find that post now. I was also hoping that there would be more updated and current information available by now.

I'm looking into the JLT short ram intake. Mostly wanting to upgrade because i like the look of it, i like the sound, and my stock air box has a crack in it. Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 05:45 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
our larger shock towers might inhibit proper placement of the tube, judging by the looks of it

it would be a lot cheaper to use some flexible 3" neoprene tubing and simply getting a conical airfilter with the appropriate outlet size to clamp it right onto the MAF meter housing......i know you're going for looks and sound, but thats just the way i see things
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
I have a mustang tube. The hardest part is getting the air filter part in there fitting nicely. I still never managed to get mine strapped down, it sticks up under the core support well however.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 09:55 AM
6th Gear Poster

i guess i hve never heard a car with a cold air intake.. is there a sound? i had no idea that less restriction makes sound... *makes a small o with mouth, sucks in... open mouth wide, sucks in* small o is louder to me, what is this sound?

Shipping out to basic training for the army on april 12th!

Bird is on serious down time
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 12:51 PM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to tstats
last time i saw a JLT in person it was a rather tight fit for the mustang... but if you want that specific intake i don't see why you can't "make it work". However if your looking for something that will bolt in with no problems use the SCP
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 03:21 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob9646 View Post
i guess i hve never heard a car with a cold air intake.. is there a sound? i had no idea that less restriction makes sound... *makes a small o with mouth, sucks in... open mouth wide, sucks in* small o is louder to me, what is this sound?
Lol, a CAI sounds more like a mild exhaust than a sucking sound-you can hear each cylinder drawing in air when the intake valve opens, although at wide open throttle you do hear air rushing in too. On some setups, the air flowing past the throttle butterfly will make a slight whistling sound when the throttle angle is correct...

Kinda of like the sound you get by removing your air silencer, but crisper and louder.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
I have a mustang tube. The hardest part is getting the air filter part in there fitting nicely. I still never managed to get mine strapped down, it sticks up under the core support well however.
Alan
What tube do you have? Or did you just mean the factory mustang GT tube?

I have seen the JLT in person and that pipe is pretty huge. i believe that sucker is 4 inches in diameter. It seems that many really like the JLT just because it is plastic and it has very flexible couplers. I'm trying to use the JLT for those particular reasons.

tstats: I think i'm going to avoid the SCP one. I've bought things from SCP before and they have been great with customer service, and they delivered exactly what bill described to me. However, the SCP cold air is exactly that. A cold air. On these cars the cold air intakes always have the bend before the MAF sensor, and all of my engine management literature states that there shouldn't be any severe bends just before the MAF. Not only that the cold airs have the filter mounted down where the bumper cover is, therefore it makes it difficult to check the filter for dirt. Hell in an extreme case you wouldn't even know if the filter fell off as a whole...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 07:55 AM
3rd Gear Poster

The stock GT tube will fit fine. I just unbolted the little box under the core support and moved that foward. If you need me to I could get pics.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 05:03 PM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbird View Post
Lol, a CAI sounds more like a mild exhaust than a sucking sound-you can hear each cylinder drawing in air when the intake valve opens, although at wide open throttle you do hear air rushing in too. On some setups, the air flowing past the throttle butterfly will make a slight whistling sound when the throttle angle is correct...

Kinda of like the sound you get by removing your air silencer, but crisper and louder.
ok gotcha. i pulled my silencer and did notice the "exhaust" had a slightly different mellow tone when i stood in front of the car i didnt want to mention it to anyone cause i thought i was crazy, exhaust comes from the back lol

Shipping out to basic training for the army on april 12th!

Bird is on serious down time
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Converter Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnockin5.0 View Post
The stock GT tube will fit fine. I just unbolted the little box under the core support and moved that foward. If you need me to I could get pics.

That is what I did with a stock tube.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Anyone know if the mustang GT's use the same MAF sensor? I know the earlier years of the 4.6 have the MAF and IAT seperate, and the later years have them both together. However, i need to know because if i do get the JLT to fit, i want to make sure the couplers and connectors will work with the tbird MAF. Thank you everyone.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 01:19 AM

Mustangs use different MAF sensors. While the sensor will physically plug in, it will not work correctly with the car without a tune.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I think you misunderstood. I need to know if the mustang MAF is physically similar enough to the tbird MAF that i could use intake tube couplers designed for a mustang to work with the tbird MAF. I am NOT using a GT MAF on a tbird. I am using a tbird MAF with a GT designed intake tube.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 06:54 AM
Converter Guy

I'm sure some kind of adapter will be required. Maybe something as simple as a large piece of hose to make the end of the maf larger.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Hmm. That's lame then. I guess i'll just have to run the GT MAF with my new tune. Thank you again everyone
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 03:38 AM
3rd Gear Poster

intakes are gravy. pepboys typically has alot of different size couplers for almost any reasonable application

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in