electrical problem! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Tim
4th Gear Poster

electrical problem!

I haven't driven my 96 lx for about 3 weeks and i drove to town today all is fine except the alt guage was really low at idle i didnt think anything of it. On my way how down the highway i smell burning wires didnt see anysmoke or anything and then my dome light started flashing really fast :lol: and i got home car reeks of burnt wires and the dash lights and the parking lights stayed on.

Has this happend to anybody else my car has remote start also i think that may have something to do with it. Anybody have some other good ideas where to dig in on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to KrAzyT
who installed ur remote start?

1996 Thunderbird 4.6 -Sold-
259.4 hp and 285.3 tq on mustang dyno
Bunch of motorcycles
2004 F150
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Tim
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrAzyT View Post
who installed ur remote start?
I bought it with it from the dealership its one of those old valet remote starts its old and barely works from 15 feet away and on only one side of the car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 01:42 AM
3rd Gear Chirper

Have you even looked at the car, or did you just drive it home and park the damn thing!?

You were driving, and your voltmeter was reading low. <--- first clue, this is generally not good.

Then you began to smell burning wires and noticed there was a problem with your lights in the car. <--- dead giveaway of a short.

You might wanna go out and disconnect your battery or something, so your car doesn't burn down. Maybe you have done all of this, but you didn't mention it, so...

Find out where that cheese-ball remote start is and I'll bet there are burned wires connected to it, probably twisted together and wrapped with electrical tape instead of soldered or spliced correctly. Sounds like there is damage to some of the factory wiring also. Might need a new dash harness, fuse box, whatever. Let us know, and don't forget to check around the generator and fuse panel also, there is a chance you could have damaged some components there.

Stupid aftermarket remote start....I always try to build my own circuits before I trust that Chinese-made crap which is generally installed by a moron with no idea of what he is doing when it comes to choosing the proper connection method and wire routing.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Tim
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbird View Post
Have you even looked at the car, or did you just drive it home and park the damn thing!?

You were driving, and your voltmeter was reading low. <--- first clue, this is generally not good.

Then you began to smell burning wires and noticed there was a problem with your lights in the car. <--- dead giveaway of a short.

You might wanna go out and disconnect your battery or something, so your car doesn't burn down. Maybe you have done all of this, but you didn't mention it, so...

Find out where that cheese-ball remote start is and I'll bet there are burned wires connected to it, probably twisted together and wrapped with electrical tape instead of soldered or spliced correctly. Sounds like there is damage to some of the factory wiring also. Might need a new dash harness, fuse box, whatever. Let us know, and don't forget to check around the generator and fuse panel also, there is a chance you could have damaged some components there.

Stupid aftermarket remote start....I always try to build my own circuits before I trust that Chinese-made crap which is generally installed by a moron with no idea of what he is doing when it comes to choosing the proper connection method and wire routing.
I disconnected my battery right away, volt meter read low at idle on the gas a little it was fine and then on my way home i'm smelling wires really bad and the dome light started flashing and it is winter here so yes i parked it for the night since it was dark out.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Tim
4th Gear Poster

Ok i i looked under my dash and i pulled the remote start wires are just taped :frown:, I checked all the wires they look good none have melted. Could it be just the light switch? my dash lights and park lights stayed on after i shut it off so maybe the switch is bad? Also i found out my dash has been apart and found that my gas pedal is bolted down with one bolt, and the dash isnt even bolted down all the way.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 03:57 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbird View Post
always try to build my own circuits before I trust that Chinese-made crap which is generally installed by a moron with no idea of what he is doing when it comes to choosing the proper connection method and wire routing.
Oh i love the moron part.. and it's so true.. Being a guy that makes wiring harness for one off, hand made cars (each circuit is hand ran on a wiring board) i have this High expectation on how wiring should be done.. i've seen some `professional' installs for radios, alarms, and so forth, and i just laugh

Also i say head light switch may be possible your problem, least check it out anyways

Last edited by 91 XR7; 01-26-2008 at 04:03 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 09:43 PM
5th Gear Poster

XR 7 makes a good point. The headlight switches and connectors are famous for melting down and shorting.

Bob
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 10:24 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderferret View Post
XR 7 makes a good point. The headlight switches and connectors are famous for melting down and shorting.

Bob
Well that's more for the earlier cars.. But it still seems to reason with the whole lights issue..
And since the Voltage gauge dip with the turn signals (most likely just the turn signal indicator BULB) having a lighting issue may cause the gauge to drop too
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 01:46 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91 XR7 View Post
Well that's more for the earlier cars.. But it still seems to reason with the whole lights issue..
And since the Voltage gauge dip with the turn signals (most likely just the turn signal indicator BULB) having a lighting issue may cause the gauge to drop too
Well yeah, but my 95 melted down anyway!

Bob
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 01:55 PM
PostWhore

Didn't say it wouldn't happen in the later cars it's just more prone to happen in the early cars..

Another thing to look at if one finds a melted/burnt out Headlight switch is the multifunction switch.. I had the one in my '91 deform/melt too.. (which didn't help the life of the headlight switch either)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Tim
4th Gear Poster

Ok i pulled the headlight switch out switch looks fine but the plug in for it is burnt! what am i suppose to do about that?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 03:12 PM
PostWhore

I surgest a new headlight switch.. also you can get a new pigtail, typically, for the headlight switches.. i personally do not know for shure on the later ones, but you can for the earlier style..

Also most of the headlight switches that went on my '91 looked good from the outside and the only sign they where bad was the blinking of the head lights, and the burnt plug

Also with mine when i replaced the plug, the i just swaped the wires with the terminals still ont hem over to the new plastic plug instead of spicing the wiring.. which you may be able to do with the newer style too..
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:21 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

I wish we could have the newer style headlight switches where you turn it to the parking or headlamp position and then pull it out to switch on your fog lights. Beats having a separate fog switch when your car didn't come with one originally.

Back on topic...glad you found out what the problem was and that your car didn't melt down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in