Intake and MAF ?? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowride
Intake and MAF ??

Hey guys, long time no see. Got alittle catching up to do. Does any of you know if anyone has a newer/ better intake for un NPI / SVO guys? And, has a good and dependable aftermarket MAF come out yet and possibly a really good intake tube?? The MAF and intake are th only two factory pieces I'm still running on my built motor. I have a tube, but looking for a better designed one.

Later.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 06:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to RobertP
give me your email I'll send you the pic of mine its also under jlt intake tube project

www.robstireandauto.com for all your car needs and parts
95 bird corn powered 735rwhp and 580 tq
86 bird vortech s trim
10.75 @128.38
95 bird - Vortech t trim
9.98 worlds fastest IRS 4.6 thunderbird
1/8 [email protected]
10.11 @ 139.19 best mph
1.47 best 60ft if I can get a full pass with this 60ftt
All made possible with Braincoating'ôs ported manifolds
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
yea RobertP can hook you up with a good intake tube....as far as MAFs go, depending on your BHP, an 80mm or 90mm Lightning/Cobra MAF is more than most will need...no need to go aftermarket.......if your engine is forced induction, and plan to make more than 500 RWHP, then an SCT BA-2600 or -3000 will support even more power.....or you can always add a MAFiA Xtender to a 2002-2004 mustang GT MAF to increase its range to support more power
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to RobertP
id go with the 90mm ford unit fits my pipe perfect

Robert

www.robstireandauto.com for all your car needs and parts
95 bird corn powered 735rwhp and 580 tq
86 bird vortech s trim
10.75 @128.38
95 bird - Vortech t trim
9.98 worlds fastest IRS 4.6 thunderbird
1/8 [email protected]
10.11 @ 139.19 best mph
1.47 best 60ft if I can get a full pass with this 60ftt
All made possible with Braincoating'ôs ported manifolds
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 95xbird Send a message via MSN to 95xbird
I test fitted my main SCP pipe on the SVO car.It seemed to fit perfectly.But I don't think the down tube is useable.

04 PI swap,SVO Supercharger 8-9 psi,Alcohol injection,39lbs Cobra injectors,XCal2-Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump,4.10 T-Lok,2003 4R70W built to withstand by RobertP,450hp JMOD,3800 circleD stall,trucool 4739 Trans Cooler,Dynotech 3.5 Driveshaft,70mm T/B,SCP Cold Air Intake,90mm LMAF,JBA headers,Magnaflow Midmount,No cats with 3inch piping,Vogtland 1.6inch drop,Cobra R's and xenon body kit.

Its slow, Really.
LS1 KILLER
1995 svo Tbird. R.I.P.
Parts FOR SALE http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132585
96 Pearl white bird. Awaiting transplants from the 95
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Well, I've got a 90 LMAF when I rebuilt my motor. When I first put it on the car with my cold air tube, the car backfired through the tube a lot and the motor would sputter until I was over 3000 rpms. When I went to get the CAT dynoed, the MAF readings were all over the place--indicating to my dyno guy that the LMAF may have been bad, so we weren't able to dyno then. So I ended up putting the stock MAF back on the car and she ran great....got her dynoed and all was fairly good. Now the car, when I do drive her, does the same thing as it did with the 90 LMAF.

I think part of it is the MAF, and part of it is the tube. I know some of my problems have to do with the stock intake as well. This is my motor setup: 97 block bored .20 over, Manley H-beam rods, Diamond flat top pistons at 10.5:1 compression, 30# injectors, crank turned .20 under, SVO heads built by Renegade Racing, Comp Cams cams 232 intake/236 exhaust, SVO oil pump, Mark VIII oil pan, March UD pullies, 70mm trottle body, Kooks headers (3/4 length), MSD coil packs, 3.73 rear end, built tranny, and running true dual 2 1/2" exhaust with H-pipe, no cat. converters and Dyno Max Ultra Flo Mufflers (and YES---she is loud).

I know they have a somewhat better intake for the PI guys, just wondered if anyone knows of one for the NPI guys. If I can't find one, or they aint gonna make one, I'll just throw an SVO SC on her. I know there were some after market MAF's...but I remember guys not having much luck with them.

Well, thanks for the hepl guys....any other suggestions are welcomed. I'm just trying to get the CAT running alittle better until I can figure out what to do about the intake. I'll check into the tube you mentioned and go from there, thinking about the Trick Flo upper plenum and a 75mm throttle body also along with putting cat. converters back on for now too, if I can "fix" the MAF issue.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 02:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 95xbird Send a message via MSN to 95xbird
Was the car on a stock tune when you put the L-MAF in?You do realize you need a tune to run that MAF don't you?

04 PI swap,SVO Supercharger 8-9 psi,Alcohol injection,39lbs Cobra injectors,XCal2-Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump,4.10 T-Lok,2003 4R70W built to withstand by RobertP,450hp JMOD,3800 circleD stall,trucool 4739 Trans Cooler,Dynotech 3.5 Driveshaft,70mm T/B,SCP Cold Air Intake,90mm LMAF,JBA headers,Magnaflow Midmount,No cats with 3inch piping,Vogtland 1.6inch drop,Cobra R's and xenon body kit.

Its slow, Really.
LS1 KILLER
1995 svo Tbird. R.I.P.
Parts FOR SALE http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132585
96 Pearl white bird. Awaiting transplants from the 95
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 02:43 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
my thoughts exactly....the EEC does not have self-learning logic when it comes to MAFs nor injectors in terms of knowing whats actually there......there is adaptation by way of the oxgen sensors, but it is very limited in scope and is no substitute at all for the EEC having both the correct MAF transfer function and the injector data.......you'll definitely need a tune to run them

Last edited by guitar maestro; 02-01-2008 at 11:23 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 05:22 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
and if your tuner didnt even know that i would quickly fire that guy with the 1quickness he could have blown your motor up

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

It was tuned on the rebuilt/modified motor. When we were on the Dyno, the MAF readings were all over the place....not stable at all. Then I put the stock meter back on and went to have the CAT retuned. Got everything dialed in for about 262 HP with stock MAF and intake manifold. Not quite a year later, it starting acting up....like when the LMAF was on the car and then had other stuff in my life going on and didn't have time to mess with it until now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in