Losing Rev's Between Shifts - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Losing Rev's Between Shifts

Hey everyone, I am having a problem with my 96. Under light acceleration my car seems like its not holding on to the revs between shifts. I am not sure what this can be, the tranny isn't slipping, good solid shifts no missing gears.

Accelerating lightly 1st goes by fine, then 2nd to 3rd the revs drop to like 1100 from just under 2000 then immediately to 4th (this is around 38 to 40 mph). The car starts shuddering unless I push the pedal halfway to the floor(or hit the OD button) to bring it back into third. Almost like its skipping a gear but I can feel it shifting.

BTW my valve seals are just about gone, so maybe i have oil fouled plugs? My plug wires are about a year old and I just cleaned my MAF. Any help appreciated sorry for such a long post.

The Jersey Shore is a stereotype, we're not all morons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 01:17 AM
2nd Gear Poster

i may not be reading this right but could this possibly be the TC shudder?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 02:03 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
When my Idle Air Control valve was acting up, it would do that. Clean that, and erase your computer, and drive it for 100 miles or so.

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Im pretty sure its not the TC... that was already replaced and I remember what that felt like.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 10:19 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSleeper View Post
Im pretty sure its not the TC... that was already replaced and I remember what that felt like.
you have done the Mercon V switch right?

that sounds like a bad case of insanely intense tc shudder, alot like what mine was doing when i bought it from some automotively illiterate, i flushed the fluid and put in merc5 and that did the trick

EDIT: do your plugs+wires too

Shipping out to basic training for the army on april 12th!

Bird is on serious down time
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Yea it has MerconV in it. I've noticed that this shudder doesn't happen when its cold, nor under medium to heavy acceleration... Computer issue maybe? I am gonna do wires this weekend and pull my plugs. I'm thinking they have oil on them because I'm burning it.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 01:20 PM
0s1r1s

Send a message via MSN to andries
Same

I'm also having this issue, have you came up with anything yet?

Green:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2571708 -Performace Car/Weekend Driver
1997 LX 4.6L V8 - Alpine Green - EEC Flashed - MN-12 to SN-95 Bolt Circle Change - Cobra Rims - Cobra Brakes - 02 GT MAFS/Intake Tube/Airbox/K&N - 2.5" Dual-Exhaust from Exhaust manifolds - PI parts being gathered![/FONT]
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 01:56 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcline View Post
When my Idle Air Control valve was acting up, it would do that. Clean that, and erase your computer, and drive it for 100 miles or so.
where is the idle control valve?.....my car does this as well.

pimp'n aint easy

mods: air silencer delete w/ k&n panel filter, magnaflow di/do tru duals w/all cats removed, sct 92 oct tune by blue oval chips, tokico advanced handling suspension kit
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 02:39 PM

Follow the intake tube and then you'll see a tube go into a black box, and then into something on the plenum. That something is the idle air control valve.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
my bet is TC shudder, whether the fluid is responsible or not
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

the IAC is just for idle as I understand it... if the revs are fluctuating at an idle then the IAC is bad. A friend of mine suggested that the problem could be in the valvebody. I'm gonna check it out this weekend with the diagnostic computer on it and see what I come up with.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 09:46 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
my bet is TC shudder, whether the fluid is responsible or not
^^^^what he said^^^^ a diagnostic computer reads codes, is your check engine light on?

Shipping out to basic training for the army on april 12th!

Bird is on serious down time
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 10:27 AM
PostWhore

Sigh.....

Ok, lets start from the beginning... Your stall speed is around 2000ish depending on how much torque your motor puts out...

You were allowing your motor to make enough torque to make the converter to sit at 2000rpms until the drivetrain speed catches up with the engine speed.

Torque converters can lock up... Meaning the engine speed always is a linear function of the drivetrain speed... X rpms always = Y mph when the converter is locked... Its hard to explain... Basically when the converter is unlocked, Its like you're slipping the clutch in a manual transmission (But no wearing out parts)... You can be at whatever RPM you want at that speed, but depending on how you modulate the pedals, you put out a different amount of power to the ground. Lockup would be the clutch completely applied, holding the engine and transmission spinning togeather. Your car is only programmed to lock up in 3rd and 4th under low throttle.

Torque converter shudder is a condition our vehicles experience when the friction of the torque converter clutch (to lock the converter) and transmission fluid breaks down. As the fluid gets hotter, it doesn't hold as much friction betwen the surfaces. When a torque converter attempts to lock up, and the friction is not high enough between the clutch and the case, it slams between locked/unlocked as it tries to hold togeather (wearing out the clutch even more)

Ok, I hope that helped make a little sense... Let me go through your scenerio...

Quote:
Accelerating lightly 1st goes by fine, then 2nd to 3rd the revs drop to like 1100 from just under 2000 then immediately to 4th (this is around 38 to 40 mph). The car starts shuddering unless I push the pedal halfway to the floor(or hit the OD button) to bring it back into third. Almost like its skipping a gear but I can feel it shifting.
In 1st, and 2nd, your torque converter doesn't lock. That's why it doesn't shudder... After you shift into 3rd, your torque converter locks up (1100rpms corresponds to the speed your drivetrain is actually moving if you had a manual transmission). When you shift into 4th, your engine is still trying to put out roughly the same amount of torque as it was before, but due to the gearing difference of overdrive, the wheels are harder to turn. The torque converter clutch however isn't as difficult... So what happens, is they do battle until you tell one of them to knock it off... When you give the car more throttle, it's really not shifting into 3rd... its sending a signal to the transmission to unlock the converter. The symptoms stop, and the car accelerates to a speed where the converter can hold the applied pressure, the converter locks up, and everything is happy until next time.

Next time it does the shuddering, tap the brakes... The BOO switch sends a signal to unlock the torque converter... That way you can accelerate to a good speed without having to add more torque to the equation, or force the car to downshift.

Go smell your trans fluid... See what it smells like... Also, I'd check your throttle position sensor. It could be out of calibration, and reading lower throttle input than it's really getting, causing you to shift too early. If your coolant isn't **That** bad, a change couldn't hurt... Note, I said change, not flush... Just let it gently drain out, and put more in. A cooler helps a lot. My dad's car has BAD shudder, but in the winter, it doesn't show up for probably the first 15-20 minutes of city driving.

Good luck!
-Ryan