Finally some decently priced adjustable cam gears! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Finally some decently priced adjustable cam gears!

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...d.php?t=102167

http://www.cloyes.com/HighPerformanc...S/Default.aspx

http://www.cloyes.com/Portals/10/New...6L%20Flyer.pdf

hopefully these are the holy grail of adjustable cam gears, so we dont have to pay the equivalent of an extra set of cams just for some cam timing adjustability!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 07:09 PM
5th Gear Poster

Only other Cam Gears are made by OBX (some chinaland company) and are $149 on ebay.

Lenore '96 LX 3.8L CarDomain
How to repair your Wiper/Turn Signal Switch
In a perfect world there would be no drag coefficient and honda civics would do 300mph, but then again who would want to go that fast in a tin can?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:02 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94TchikinV8 Send a message via Yahoo to 94TchikinV8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRWK View Post
Only other Cam Gears are made by OBX (some chinaland company) and are $149 on ebay.
Those look like the Fidanza/Comp Cams adjustable gears. I bought a set shortly after they came out, but shipped them back to Summit for a refund when I read about them slipping and trashing engines. Turns out, my cams are only about 1.5 degrees apart with the stock gears anyways.

I can't really tell how those Cloyes gears hold their position. Does anyone know?

-Rob

1994 Thunderbird LX V8

Still in pieces in the garage awaiting body work, paint, and a drivetrain...

Currently driving a 98 Mustang GT convertible:
02 Explorer engine, Comp 262ah cams, Steeda underdrives, aftermarket H-pipe with high flow cats, SLP LM1 exhaust, MGW shifter, RAM clutch
[email protected], 2.17 60ft(stock 2.73s, worn-out trac-lok)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:30 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Unlike many adjustable cam gears the Cloyes gears do not rely on a series of small bolts to keep it from moving under load. They use two small bolts to keep the gear from moving while you are timing the engine, but it relies on the large factory cam bolt to keep everything in place under load. The factory cam bolt sandwiches the two pieces of the adjustable gear to keep it in place, which is much more reliable.
That's how.

Lenore '96 LX 3.8L CarDomain
How to repair your Wiper/Turn Signal Switch
In a perfect world there would be no drag coefficient and honda civics would do 300mph, but then again who would want to go that fast in a tin can?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRWK View Post
or L&M gears....

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 12:03 AM
6th Gear Poster

2V crank gears - each gear can provide +-8 degrees independently.

http://www.lmengines.com/

Mitch
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
yea i remember greenbird mentioning the L&M gears, but those are still in the ~$500 range IIRC and provide finite adjustability in increments, where as with these it might be possible to dial them in more accurately.....at this price, i just might convince myself to grab a set
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 11:43 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
yea i remember greenbird mentioning the L&M gears, but those are still in the ~$500 range IIRC and provide finite adjustability in increments, where as with these it might be possible to dial them in more accurately.....at this price, i just might convince myself to grab a set
Call Michael. A set of two adjustable crank gears should be significantly less than $500.

Mitch
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 09:04 AM
PostWhore

Maybee I read something wrong....

But... The little adjustment slider that is on the front of the gear gets samwiched between the bolt and sprocket when you torque it down to the cam?

I might have learned something wrong somewhere down the line, but I always thought we put a washer under the heads of bolts to devide the pressure of torquing the bolt down among 4 surfaces instead of two...

So... We have the factory bolt, then the slider on the adjustable gear, and then the actual sprocket being samwiched togeather... Wouldn't that effectively turn the adjustable part of the sprocket into a washer of sorts, and devide the compression force of the bolt between more surfaces?

I'm no expert here, but it still doesn't seem confidence inspiring enough for me... Its MUCH better looking than the Fidanza gears, yet I think I'll stick to removing some mass from the keyway.