Questions on installing UD Pulleys... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to WaLieN
Questions on installing UD Pulleys...

Where are the bolts to take off the fan? And... do I have to do this... "On automatic transmission cars, the engine must be held from turning by holding the torque converter. The torque converter can be accessed by removing a plug towards the front-drivers side of the transmission. (Consult a service manual for more information). Hold the torque converter from turning with a 14mm wrench."

I'm installing Steeda Pulleys.

☼1997 Ford Thunderbird LX - 4.6L -K&N Panel Filter-Steeda U|D Pulleys-Steeda 180* Thermostat-Removed Intake Silencer-Polyurethane IRS Bushings-Tranny Cooler-Urethane Tranny Mount
☼1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring [VR] - Rotary Power rebuilt turbos & motor w/ 3mm Apex Seals - PWR Radiator - PFS Cat-Back - RB Intake Duct w/ K&N Panel - Manual Boost Controller - KG Differential Brace - Gotham Engine Torque Brace - Aluminum 45mm Front STB - B&M Short Throw Shifter - PFS Column Mounted Boost Gauge - Falken Azenis ST115s [235/40ZR17] on Speedy Mashie Silvers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 06:08 AM
Resident 40th Anniversary Expert

Send a message via AIM to Shawn40th
The torque converter? I didnt have to do that when I put mine on. I did take out the fan though to get room in there. There should be a bolt on the top on each side. I believe the bottom was just clips. If you take out the two bolts and then lift out and up it should come out. It can be done with the radiator hose in place but you must pull the hose aside and sort of slide the fan out.
good luck
-Shawn

"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people."

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII, LSC - Green/Tan Leather, Sunroof, etc. FOR SALE. Inquire within.

Current car: 1999 Corvette

The 40th Anniversary Tbird is gone. Her old website & CarDomain page

Senior Member of the 'B-Team'.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

I guess I'll need to borrow a pulley puller and impact wrench from AutoZone... any other tools I might need? Wait, with the Steeda kit, do I even need a pulley puller? Oh, and does anyone know how much AutoZone will charge to borrow those?

☼1997 Ford Thunderbird LX - 4.6L -K&N Panel Filter-Steeda U|D Pulleys-Steeda 180* Thermostat-Removed Intake Silencer-Polyurethane IRS Bushings-Tranny Cooler-Urethane Tranny Mount
☼1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring [VR] - Rotary Power rebuilt turbos & motor w/ 3mm Apex Seals - PWR Radiator - PFS Cat-Back - RB Intake Duct w/ K&N Panel - Manual Boost Controller - KG Differential Brace - Gotham Engine Torque Brace - Aluminum 45mm Front STB - B&M Short Throw Shifter - PFS Column Mounted Boost Gauge - Falken Azenis ST115s [235/40ZR17] on Speedy Mashie Silvers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 09:18 AM
Automatic Weapon

You don't touch the torque converter when changing the pulleys and yes you will need the pulley puller, if I remember correctly Steeda replaces the stock crank pulley so you have to use the puller to get the stock crank pulley off.

Have fun, it took me about an hour to do.

Big-Al

<----not throwing rocks at girls anymore
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 12:56 PM
The Band, not the Disease!

Send a message via AIM to AnthraxBird
I think autozone rents them for free.. Anyone?

1997 Mark VIII LSC - Toreador Red
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 12:59 PM
Automatic Weapon

Autozone charges to you to rent the puller, but you don't have to return it if you don't want to.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 01:01 PM
The Band, not the Disease!

Send a message via AIM to AnthraxBird
I thought they rented it out for free, and you just leave em a credit card or something?

1997 Mark VIII LSC - Toreador Red
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 01:02 PM
Automatic Weapon

Sorry, that's what I was talking about, but I wasn't clear enough....my bad.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Well, I guess I'll need to rent an impact wrench, torque wrench, and a pulley puller. All I need is a CC you say?

BTW, Al, did you need to relocate your fan for the install, or is there enough space?

BTW, I'll do a step by step how-to on the install. Any tips on reinstalling the serpentine belt? Any tools I might need to do it?

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 10:57 AM

I went and bought a pulley puller ($13). When I was there and drove there in a different car I brought my tbirds alt and the U/D pulley for that and asked them to swap that out (Free!). $13 isnt that bad to get a new tool in the box and finish the U/D mod.

-Shawn

"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people."

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII, LSC - Green/Tan Leather, Sunroof, etc. FOR SALE. Inquire within.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Big-Al
You don't touch the torque converter when changing the pulleys and yes you will need the pulley puller, if I remember correctly Steeda replaces the stock crank pulley so you have to use the puller to get the stock crank pulley off.

Have fun, it took me about an hour to do.

Big-Al
If I don't hold on to the torque converter bolt, wouldn't the crank move when I screw off the bolt?

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 09:53 AM

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/pull1.htm : This is a great step by step to follow. I put my pulleys in and took out the fan. It was like 2 bolts and then 2 clips that you just pull the fan up and its out. You have to work it around the radiator hose on top (or take it off). I dont think you "have to" take out the fan but there is just so much more room in their. and if using a impact wrench then it would be needed to fit it in there.
My crank pulley was takin off with a impact wrench and I didnt need to hold anywhere else. The force of the impact wrench will just pull it right off. I tried and tried without the impact wrench and I know its possible. But I couldnt get mine to turn without it turning the engine. It takes all of like 20 minutes with a impact wrench. If you have a friend or someone that has one see if you can use theirs.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawn40th
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/pull1.htm : This is a great step by step to follow. I put my pulleys in and took out the fan. It was like 2 bolts and then 2 clips that you just pull the fan up and its out. You have to work it around the radiator hose on top (or take it off). I dont think you "have to" take out the fan but there is just so much more room in their. and if using a impact wrench then it would be needed to fit it in there.
My crank pulley was takin off with a impact wrench and I didnt need to hold anywhere else. The force of the impact wrench will just pull it right off. I tried and tried without the impact wrench and I know its possible. But I couldnt get mine to turn without it turning the engine. It takes all of like 20 minutes with a impact wrench. If you have a friend or someone that has one see if you can use theirs.
That one is done on a manual transmission, and doesn't mention anything about the TQ.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 02:24 AM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by WaLieN

That one is done on a manual transmission, and doesn't mention anything about the TQ.
Quote:

If I don't hold on to the torque converter bolt, wouldn't the crank move when I screw off the bolt?
Your wrench will break or you'll strip the bolt before you EVER turn the TQ.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenBird

Your wrench will break or you'll strip the bolt before you EVER turn the TQ.
Oh, ok. About the tensioneer pulley and remove the serpentine belt... do I put a fat open wrench in the little box slot, and pull down? Or do I turn it to the left?

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 07:29 AM
Automatic Weapon

use a 1 inch ratchet and put the ratchet end in the square opening on the arm of the tensioner and pull down. This will move the tensioner down and losen the belt.

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 11:50 AM

If im correct the square is ment for a breaker bar or a large ratchet without the socket on there. You can use other things but it is just so easy with something like the breaker bar (If you dont have one a large ratchet will work fine).

-Shawn

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Man, do I hate my Chiltons manual. It says to loosen bolts before pusing the tens. pulley down.... or is it just retarded?

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 10:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
Push the tensioner down with a 1/2 inch breaker bar with no socket on it, the square breaker bar fits on the square on the tensioner. This will loosen the belt, remove the belt, then remove your pullies.

JH

Quote:
Man, do I hate my Chiltons manual. It says to loosen bolts before pusing the tens. pulley down.... or is it just retarded?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in