March U/D pulleys for my 97' T-Bird on the way, any suggestions? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

March U/D pulleys for my 97' T-Bird on the way, any suggestions?

Any suggestions for installing would be appreciated.

97' 4.6 LX - [email protected] 1880ft Air Density Altitude, 86*
95' 4.6 40th Anniversary Edition
01' 4.6 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4
2000 Summit 700
purgeclip
GMvsFordforum
A.R.T.
Scotts' custom gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 11:11 AM
Resident 40th Anniversary Expert

Send a message via AIM to Shawn40th
After they come in go to autozone (or where ever) in a different car. A different car is so that you can take out the alt in the bird (only three bolts). Bring it with you. Buy a Pulley puller ($12-15) and have them swap out the alt pulley while you are there for free.
This is the article to follow. http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/pull1.htm
I recomend taking the fan out because it will give you much more room to work with. Also when I did mine I drove a hour to a friends house. Then wore some gloves and was able to handle the hot pulleys and put them right together instead of boiling water and doing that.

Good luck

-Shawn

"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people."

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII, LSC - Green/Tan Leather, Sunroof, etc. FOR SALE. Inquire within.

Current car: 1999 Corvette

The 40th Anniversary Tbird is gone. Her old website & CarDomain page

Senior Member of the 'B-Team'.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 02:08 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to birdofprey
hire someone!

I had my March pulley set installed at the local garage for $50. Money well spent...job was done right and my knuckles aren't bleeding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Re: hire someone!

Quote:
Originally posted by birdofprey
I had my March pulley set installed at the local garage for $50. Money well spent...job was done right and my knuckles aren't bleeding!
****, if I can find some shop to install them for around $50, then I wouldn't have to spend the time/effort to do it. Normally for me when I start fixing/modding any of my cars, the mod/repair never goes how it should and ends up costing way more money and time than I plan on.
I should be in the 14's after the pulleys, so I am eager to get them on.
Thanks

2000 Summit 700
purgeclip
GMvsFordforum
A.R.T.
Scotts' custom gauges
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 11:32 PM

I checked my local shops. One wanted $100. I got them for only $58 so I'm not paying almost double to have them installed. Another shop was like "sure we'll install them. So what are they, just pulleys?" I said forget it and I walked out of there. They only wanted $50 but didnt even know what they are. So like I said I got one thing swaped for free at the auto store while I bought the tool for $13. And I got the experience of doing the mod myself. Not saying everyone can due to where they are located and what not but my personal prefference is to do as much as I can even if I mess up. It's just part of learning.
-Shawn

"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people."

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII, LSC - Green/Tan Leather, Sunroof, etc. FOR SALE. Inquire within.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 11:43 PM
Mushroom Stamp Layer

If you can't work on your own car you should own nothing but a stock car.

Btw...you'll probably gain just as much by losing the gfx and the rims. Just my $.02

Pullies aren't hard to do...just do it. Much more satisfaction to be able to do things yourself on your car....gives you that feeling of accomplishment and maybe even a slight understanding of your car.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 11:54 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Robinson
Quote:
Originally posted by seabass

Btw...you'll probably gain just as much by losing the gfx and the rims. Just my $.02

Pullies aren't hard to do...just do it. Much more satisfaction to be able to do things yourself on your car....gives you that feeling of accomplishment and maybe even a slight understanding of your car.
so true. i remember my first oil change, ah the memories.

i mean sure you can hire someone to do it for cheap, hell ive done it for people for a six pack, but all they do is sit there watching me and slowly realize how easy stuff like that is. if you cant handle a pulley install, what are you gonna do when it comes time for the AED, hmmm?

www.innerlusion.com
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
89 SC 5 speed

FCoNE President
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Poster

Thumbs up

hey aaron, i have the tool for pulling the crank pulley, let me know when you need it.

nic liller

[email protected]

1990 XR7 White / Blue 14.548

Removed air silencer, Kooks headers, Flowmaster cat-back, 10% OD pulley

1990 XR7 Black / Burgundy

1989 SC Titanium / Tan

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

U/D pulleys - Cinstral

Cool. I should have them in tommorrow. I really don't know why these other people are acting like I can't do work on my own car. I guess they got the wrong idea when I said I would pay $50 to have some shop do it. As you know I try and do whatever I can to my car(s).
I'll let you know when I am ready to install them.
Later

2000 Summit 700
purgeclip
GMvsFordforum
A.R.T.
Scotts' custom gauges
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by seabass

Just so you know, I never said I can't work on my own car, and I never said pulleys were hard to do, all I said was I would give a shop $50 to do it so I wouldn't have to mess with it. I do almost all of the work on my cars.
BTW, you probably are right about the gfx and the rims adding on a lot of weight (I assume that's what you meant), but **it, I don't mine putting extra mods in my car to make up for the weight of those things that make my car look like it does
Thanks though

2000 Summit 700
purgeclip
GMvsFordforum
A.R.T.
Scotts' custom gauges

Last edited by Aaron_T; 08-02-2002 at 05:06 AM.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 06:17 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to WaLieN
Re: Re: hire someone!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron_T

****, if I can find some shop to install them for around $50, then I wouldn't have to spend the time/effort to do it. Normally for me when I start fixing/modding any of my cars, the mod/repair never goes how it should and ends up costing way more money and time than I plan on.
I should be in the 14's after the pulleys, so I am eager to get them on.
Thanks
What other driveline/engine/electrical mods do you have done to your 96/97 Bird to make it run low 15's?

☼1997 Ford Thunderbird LX - 4.6L -K&N Panel Filter-Steeda U|D Pulleys-Steeda 180* Thermostat-Removed Intake Silencer-Polyurethane IRS Bushings-Tranny Cooler-Urethane Tranny Mount
☼1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring [VR] - Rotary Power rebuilt turbos & motor w/ 3mm Apex Seals - PWR Radiator - PFS Cat-Back - RB Intake Duct w/ K&N Panel - Manual Boost Controller - KG Differential Brace - Gotham Engine Torque Brace - Aluminum 45mm Front STB - B&M Short Throw Shifter - PFS Column Mounted Boost Gauge - Falken Azenis ST115s [235/40ZR17] on Speedy Mashie Silvers
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 09:32 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to birdofprey
tools, time, and money

Hey Seabass, I think that you're a bit overstating it: "If you can't work on your own car you should own nothing but a stock car. ....Pullies aren't hard to do...just do it. Much more satisfaction to be able to do things yourself on your car....gives you that feeling of accomplishment and maybe even a slight understanding of your car. "

To the first point, it's mostly true. "If you can't work on your own car" presumes a lot: one, do you have the skill to do the job; two, even if you have the skill, do you have the prpoer tools; three, even if you have the skill and the tools, do have a place to do the job safely; fourth, even if you have, the skill, the tool, the shed, do you have time? Answer all four yes, then by all means do the job and get that satisfaction of knowing that you turned the wrenches that built the thing.

To the second point, "...you should own nothing but a stock car" is too much of a knee-jerk reaction if you don't the reason why the first clause (if you can't work) applies.

And lastly, I think it is a bit foolish to undertake any job if you don't begin with "even a slight understanding of your car"; i.e. that means you don't have the skills. To me, if you don't understand the mechanism your about to fix or upgrade, you have no business taking the damn thing apart in order to "figure out" what it does and why. Let's take the "PI" heads for example. Most people on this list have a good feeling that it's certainly an upgrade from the stock heads. I also would wager, that many people on this list have never seen a head removed any car, let alone personally performed the task to take one off. To those unitiated shade tree mechanics, should they forgo this upgrade until such time that they possess the personal skill to do it, or the proper tools and place to do it?

Although swapping the pulleys is a DIY "doable", if you're not properly equipped or just plain uncomfortable doing it without some coaching, then don't be lame-brained and matters worse by doing it yourself...get some help. And if you dont have a buddy who has the time to show you for repayment of a couple of cold brews, then hire someone with the skills. Or perhaps you're in a situation like I had where time was (and still is) precious, and since I already have extracted plenty of DIY satisfaction just needed to get the job done quickly and properly.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 11:13 AM

not to start a war here but I think all you need is the tools and the space. Some people live in apartments and might not have as much space as those with a garage to work in.

Skill and time is all something you can eventually come by. Sure if you wait and wait nothing will get done but sometimes you just make time or find oddball times. heck if you have your own place to work in like a garage then whats to stop you from working until 2 in the morning (right JustinH?). Skill you dont know if you have it unless you try it. Beleive me, I have not dont much car work myself before my tbird. But one day I felt I have heard so much on this tranny mod people talk about and decided to do it for my self. It saves money and that was a big plus. So I wound up doing that mod not only once but twice (on another persons car with that person). So sure if its taking apart the engine or dropping a tranny you kinda need certain tools and space but many things a jack and some jack stands can really help out to get it done. I wouldn't personaly do heavey engine work on my own car but hey, the more and more I think about it how hard can it be.

So if you have to pay for it for whatever reason then go ahead. It's no big deal. But if you can do it your self it would only help you to learn more if you do.

Good luck,
-Shawn

Aaron_T: I think your car looks good. With some nice mods you would have a good balance of looks and performance there. Heck even if it does add weight, if you like it then thats what you should do. :-)

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawn40th
not to start a war here but I think all you need is the tools and the space. Some people live in apartments and might not have as much space as those with a garage to work in.

Skill and time is all something you can eventually come by. Sure if you wait and wait nothing will get done but sometimes you just make time or find oddball times. heck if you have your own place to work in like a garage then whats to stop you from working until 2 in the morning (right JustinH?). Skill you dont know if you have it unless you try it. Beleive me, I have not dont much car work myself before my tbird. But one day I felt I have heard so much on this tranny mod people talk about and decided to do it for my self. It saves money and that was a big plus. So I wound up doing that mod not only once but twice (on another persons car with that person). So sure if its taking apart the engine or dropping a tranny you kinda need certain tools and space but many things a jack and some jack stands can really help out to get it done. I wouldn't personaly do heavey engine work on my own car but hey, the more and more I think about it how hard can it be.

So if you have to pay for it for whatever reason then go ahead. It's no big deal. But if you can do it your self it would only help you to learn more if you do.

Good luck,
-Shawn

Aaron_T: I think your car looks good. With some nice mods you would have a good balance of looks and performance there. Heck even if it does add weight, if you like it then thats what you should do. :-)
Thanks, I plan on doing some major mods in the future - Super, heads, etc.....I won't drive my T-Bird in the winter (here in Alaska), so tht saves miles, and time to mod it up
Thanks

2000 Summit 700
purgeclip
GMvsFordforum
A.R.T.
Scotts' custom gauges
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by WaLieN

What other driveline/engine/electrical mods do you have done to your 96/97 Bird to make it run low 15's?
The funny thing is, there really isn't much done to it -
K&N panel filter
Air Silencer removed
Stock mufflers cut off/replaced with a new y-pipe/muffler like exhaust tips
The end of the list
best time 15.12

2000 Summit 700
purgeclip
GMvsFordforum
A.R.T.
Scotts' custom gauges
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 11:51 AM
PostWhore

Re: tools, time, and money

Quote:
Originally posted by birdofprey

Seabass doesnt know what hes talking about...

thats what i got out of it anyway.

when it comes to pulley installation, all it requires is the time and the right tool. it doesnt require a garage, it doesnt require a lift, it doesnt even require nice weather.

i dont think what he said was an overstatement, in fact i think it was quite the opposite, a simplification. were talking about a pulley install here, not an engine swap. i think what he said is quite applicable. i mean, how can you have big plans for heads and blowers if you dont want to swap pulleys yourself? the point is it doesnt matter if you can pay someone to do for cheap or even get it done for free, the point is you should do it yourself for the self-gratification and experience

www.innerlusion.com
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
89 SC 5 speed

FCoNE President
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 12:47 PM
The Band, not the Disease!

Send a message via AIM to AnthraxBird
The best I ran at Joliet was 15.02 at 92mph, i need to find my slip.. All I had was a removed air silencer, and a K&N.. (plus a little weight removed from my car and some nice goodyear ultra radial GT tires on my pair of old 95 tbrid rims i aquired) it was about 75 degrees, and 50 - 60% humidity... "Werty", that 1 time at US 41, it was in April or May I think, I asked you to use your K&N and I ran a 15.08 or something? Would you possibly remember? thanks! (that was on the stock 215 Firestones too)

1997 Mark VIII LSC - Toreador Red
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 01:39 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Stinger
OMG i spent 12 hours putting thoose damn things on!!!

OMG I spent 12 hours putting those damn things on!!!

What I learned:
First when you try to take the pulley off the alternator yourself "without an air ratchet” you’ll never get it.

Second when you give up and call AutoZone up and they say yeah just bring it in and we can get it off with are electric ratchet, don’t over react and jump for joy cause when you get there and its 1:30 in the morning and they say, "Err yeah someone dropped the ratchet and we don’t have any others" You are gonna be really pissed off.

Third: Don’t go to Wal-Mart and buy there 12v dc ratchet, wont do anything but catch on fire, TRUST ME!!! It does!!!

Fourth once you finally take the pulley off by other means. Be Creative!!! Good luck on the dampener pulley bolt, it’s even more fun!!! YOU MUST HAVE A AIR RATCHET OR SOMETHING OF THAT NATURE CAUSE U ARE NOT GONNA JUST BE ABLE TO GET IT LOOSE WHEN ITS 3:30 IN THE MORNING AND U ARE USING A REGULAR RATCHET AND A BREAKER BAR>>>

Fifth: By then you are thinkin I'm stupid for not havin a freakin Air Ratchet and tryin to attempt this job. Well fine how bout I go and get one at 4:00 in the morning>>

Sixth: Well Meyers is open 24 Hours and a buddy of mine “Who talked me in doing this simple job that night" had a 10% off card. So what the heck.

Seventh: Not only did it take an hour to get help in the automotive department but all they had was a 4 gallon tank and a 22 gallon tank. Well I don’t think I can fit the 22 gallon in a car>>>. Hmm well, Hey look an air ratchet for $29.99 sweet deal, Right?? Cause the frigin compressor was 178$

Eight: When u get home and start hitting that bolt for over an hour with all your new toys and it doesn’t budge, you begin to scream

Ninth: So friend says hey how bout we go over my dads house he has a shop! Um a shop!!!!! Now you tell me this, Omg..................

Tenth: you go over friend’s dads shop. After putting car back together so u can drive it there. Next take everything back out and get ready to use friends dads compressor with Meyers air ratchet...... Still nothing

Eleventh: at this point u throws the ratchet away and try friends dads old one.

Twelfth: Vzzzzzzzz......Comes off in one try.....Ummmmmm kkkkkkkk wow that was a fund 15 hours!!!!

Thirteenth: Wow since now you’re a pro at taken everything in and out 5 times u can but all the new pieces in, and it takes you 30 min!!!!!

Well the point here I am tryin to make is "Don’t even try unless you have a AIR RATCHET and a really good old one rated above 90 PSI, Least that’s what the Meyers one was rated at>>>>>>>>
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

I put mine on last Saturday. I was able to go to a friends and use his impact wrench, so it took less than an hour for everything. Guess I should feel lucky. The funny thing is, I was just gonna try it out in my own driveway w/ no air ratchet/impact wrench, appearently it's a good thing I didn't try it.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 10:20 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to ruffledfeathers
What Kind of Increase???

Can you tell a diff. with the new pulleys?
I am asst service mgr @pepboys so ive got a shop to do them.

94 LX 4.6
SC GFX , Suspension Techniques springs bilstein struts
R.P.C. tuning, 80mm mMAF
2 steps colder plugs, 9 mm wires 180 stat1 piece alum. driveshaft, 3.73 gears
2.5 inch Xpipe no 3rd cat , no mufflers
PI Stallion 9 inch 3k stall converter
March underdrive pullies
Zex dry Nitrous kit 75 hp for now
[email protected] with no traction !SOLD!
93 mustang notch 5.0
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 10:39 PM
Not Blinking Anymore

Send a message via AIM to KewlBird
Thumbs up I have the same ones

They are off the car right now (had a loud stereo system, so I pulled them off), they will go back on in a few weeks.

If you have an impact wrench, the whole process will be a breeze (remove the belt, remove the alt. nut, remove crank bolt, remove the water pump pulley (4 bolts), then slap the new pulleys on, tighten the nuts and bolts and BAM! it's done, you've just kicked the car up by another notch) even without an impact you can do it, but it will be pretty tough getting that alternator nut. I think the only way you'll appreciate your car is to do it yourself and not let any strangers mess around with it (speaking from experience).

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L -
1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 3.8L
2002 Chevrolet Blazer 4D 4WD
2002 Chevrolet Impala

http://members.tccoa.com/kewlbird/
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 10:47 PM
Back in Black

Administrator

Actually the instructions say to use an impact wrench on the alt bolt. Has anyone managed to get theres off by hand? One heck of a grip!

My electric impact gun wouldn't even budge the alt bolt.

R.I.P. Joel Bender 07/30/79 - 03/26/06
R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975-2011

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 AED 349.27RWHP/391.29RWTQ Engine Build Exterior shots
2002 Thunderbird Premium Triple Black 3.9
2015 Fusion Energi SE Luxury Magnetic Gray
*SCRAPPED* 1994 LX 4.6 NA [email protected] 236.07RWHP/286.26RWTQ
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 11:21 PM
Not Blinking Anymore

Send a message via AIM to KewlBird
Re: OMG i spent 12 hours putting thoose damn things on!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Stinger
OMG I spent 12 hours putting those damn things on!!!

Fourth once you finally take the pulley off by other means. Be Creative!!! Good luck on the dampener pulley bolt, it’s even more fun!!! YOU MUST HAVE A AIR RATCHET OR SOMETHING OF THAT NATURE CAUSE U ARE NOT GONNA JUST BE ABLE TO GET IT LOOSE WHEN ITS 3:30 IN THE MORNING AND U ARE USING A REGULAR RATCHET AND A BREAKER BAR>>>
Suggestion: Do the Crank bolt first, Hold the alt nut with a socket and a rachet, then loosen the crank bolt with another rachet (unless your belt is worn, this should hold the crank from spinning) Heck, if you live close by, just stop by tomorow and I'll do it for you in under half hour.

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L -
1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 3.8L
2002 Chevrolet Blazer 4D 4WD
2002 Chevrolet Impala

http://members.tccoa.com/kewlbird/
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 12:47 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to ruffledfeathers
Question Again

Can you tell much of a diference?
Im thinking of getting a set of steeda pulleys
But if its a waste let me know?

94 LX 4.6
SC GFX , Suspension Techniques springs bilstein struts
R.P.C. tuning, 80mm mMAF
2 steps colder plugs, 9 mm wires 180 stat1 piece alum. driveshaft, 3.73 gears
2.5 inch Xpipe no 3rd cat , no mufflers
PI Stallion 9 inch 3k stall converter
March underdrive pullies
Zex dry Nitrous kit 75 hp for now
[email protected] with no traction !SOLD!
93 mustang notch 5.0
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 12:56 PM
PostWhore

the general opinion is that they do infact help out. from dyno experiences i can say its worth between 7 and 11 rwhp.

www.innerlusion.com
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
89 SC 5 speed

FCoNE President
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I noticed a pretty big difference in power (Acceleration). I kinda of lags a little off the line, but just load the engine to compensate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in