Belt noise? chirping.... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

i found some good info in "how to build max performance 4.6 lier engines" by sean hyland it says that the 9.90 lbs balancer in '03 marauder and '03 mach 1 (part # 1W7Z-6312-AA) is the best choice for a 4.6 cast crank w/ automatic trans there's other applications which i'll try to post on aseparate thread named balancers at the 4.6/5.4 modular engine section
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Question Belt noise? chirping....

So when I start the car I hear this high-pitched chirping noise, which to me sounds like a bird, and squeaky/squeal.
The noise gets faster (higher frequency) and louder with rpms at idle and when I drive.

As soon as I turn on the a/c the noise goes away almost completely. I still hear it when I give it gas and rpms go higher, but it's a lot quieter than without a/c

After driving for a while, and parking the car, the noise vanishes, even with a/c off.

It's worst on 1st start up of the day.

Any thoughts?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 08:19 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
i have a good thought....get a video with audio of the noise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I will try - what's the good thought?
(unless the thought itself was to get a video? )

I am going to see if it would do it now...and get a video... BRB

EDIT: no noise - i just drove it 2 hrs ago - haven't sat long enough...probably that's why...
it's most apparent on 1st start of the day, like i said.

Last edited by ortbird; 06-06-2010 at 09:13 AM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
well with audio/video, people who have had similar issues can help you pinpoint it more accurately instead of just guessing out of their asses...its likely a pulley somewhere, but since I never had those issues, I can't help you directly...but i'm helping you indirectly
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
idler pulley or AC compressor pulley or both.

idler pulley is about $14 for the part and free to replace yourself.

AC compressor is a bit more expensive with a core charge and a bit more involved to replace.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:45 AM
3rd Gear Poster

I agree with idler pulley........But video wud be the tell tale

Oh my goodness!!!!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Thanks, everyone - I will get the video at the next possible 1st start up..might be a few days depending on work schedule.

I guess the a/c coming on puts additional tension on the pulley? is that when it quiets down? And assuming it's the IP, do I need to do take care of this immediately?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:39 AM
3rd Gear Poster

IP's are pretty easy and cheap. I def wudn't wait too long on it. But there again.....u never know how long it'll last. I had a 95 cougar for 3 years as a beater and I never changed it. It only squealed when I crunk it up. But I don't even put 5 miles on a vehicle in a weeks time.

Oh my goodness!!!!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 11:24 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Dont Wait do it now! its only 15 bucks. ive seen numerous 5.4's and 4.6's the idler pulley will get bad to the point where it will rip the bolt out of the engine front cover. if enough of the front cover is left you can drill and retap and use a bigger bolt but if not its a new cover. so spend 15 bucks and save yourself a headache down the road. -JM

My Lug Nuts Require More Torque Than Your Honda Makes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 11:29 AM
1st Gear Poster

How long has it been since the belt was replaced? Maybe it's worn (stretched) out.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 11:30 AM
It is nice

yea your belt is loose if its squealing most likely; and the idler pulley is really all that would make it loose unless teh belt is bad

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8L: SOLD
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 12:19 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
The AC clutch bearing usually QUITs making noise when it comes on; a bad ac bearing always makes noise; until it seizes, lol.

It's either the idler or the tensioner; both are the same part, tho the tensioner takes 4 bolts instead of one to take off.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

So wife took it to the shop today ( I had to work): They are gonna replace the Belt, Tensioner and pulley.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

belt is slipping it could be worn out or belt and/or pullies might be contaminated( oil ,coolant, ect...)
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Angry Harmonic Balancer story...

history:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129726

well CRAP!!

STORY:

so....I went to the dealership to have the new belt, tensioner and pulley installed - and while i am there I remember this OTHER whining noise around 2000 rpm noise that has been bothering me for a while...and thought, well might as well get that checked out - so a tech drives with me, and i reproduce the noise, and he's not tally sure but thinks it might be related to the pulley/belt we're going to replace ... he also thinks it could be the heat shield loose...(which I also thought)

so we drive back to the shop and suddenly we here a THUD !!! and see a pulley rolling down the road - of course we assumed it was the idler pulley finally coming off etc. and get to the dealership safely - drive was about 3 min. AFTER the thing came off...

they go to replace the pulley, belt etc and come back and tell me it was NOT the idler pulley that came off but the CRANKSHAFT DAMPNER PULLEY !!! (this is the same as harmonic balancer, right?)
now they think THAT was that OTHER whiny noise we heard, apart from the chirping Idler pulley.

So, they don't have the Crankshaft Dampner pulley in stock - will get it on Monday..

they also told me that the Carnkshaft d. pulley is actually a double pulley that's sandwiched betw. some rubber surround and that dry rotting of the rubber may have damaged it...and THAT in turn probably made the idler pulley go bad.

ANNOYING !!!

I hope the Crankshaft D. Pulley (Harmonic balancer) being bad for some time didn't cause any damage to the crankshaft/engine... That other "whiny" noise had been around for about an year...
according to this, the harmonic balancer going bad CAN cause damage to crankshaft..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_balancer

does anyone if the 4.6L has a "real" balancer or is it just to prevent external NVH ???
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Mod motors are internally balanced, the crank pulley is just a damper.

-Matt
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Internally Balanced

The 4.6L Ford modular is internally balanced. However, the balancer is a very important component in dampening engine harmonics. I've actually been looking at those underdrive fluid dampers that a couple different companies offer. My fear is that the physically smaller damper size changes the damping characteristics and I don't want to bolt up a time bomb on the front of my engine. However, drag and circle track racers have been using fluid dampers for years with great success and those motors undergo MUCH more punishment than I ever plan to deliver to my powerplant.

Back to your questions, yes, it's a "real" balancer in the dynamic sense, not static (as in externally balanced engines). I guess in a perfect world, the weight of the balancer in the front will equal/balance with the weight in the rear of the engine with your flexplate/torque converter or flywheel/pressure plate combinations. Of course, a ~70lb converter doesn't match up with a ~10lb balancer, so

I've also heard/read stories of people claiming these engines don't even need the balancer since it's internally balanced. I say bull-pucky, that is there to "dampen" the frequency harmonics that occur in the rotating mass of the entire assembly, and is therefore, VERY necessary.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in