callin all 4.6L guru's - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

callin all 4.6L guru's

i will soon be the owner of a 94-95 bird. this will be the basis of my new project. i am going to start with a 4.6 car, and build my ride from there.
my question for anyone who may know, what are the differences between the regular issue 4.6 and the Police Interceptor 4.6?
since this Police Interceptor motor i am lookin at is an '02, i know it has the PI heads. i can also see the obvious coil-on-plug.
are there any differences in internal parts? cams? pistons? this motor had to be pulled offa the line at the assembly plant to replace the one in the cop car. why? there has to be a difference somewhere that makes this motor special. we dont get complete engines, offa the line, for regular issue motors.........
i may be able to get the old motor w/ less than 5K, for a good price. is it worth it? i know the PI heads are a good upgrade, but what else am i gonna get?
the old motor was run under water and bent a rod ever-so-slightly. so one replaced rod, and i have a almost new, '02 Police Interceptor for my new bird........

any info would be great!

gumby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 04:45 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

the 2002 CV engine is the same as a 2002 mustang engine. The "interceptor" is nothing more than a transmission cooler, oil cooler, and higher speed drive shaft.

Either engine will use a return-less fuel system. I wouldn't touch the engine you speak of with a 10 foot pole. Just buy a stang engine.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenBird
the 2002 CV engine is the same as a 2002 mustang engine... I wouldn't touch the engine you speak of with a 10 foot pole. Just buy a stang engine.
if i may ask, why not? if they are the same, then why the stang motor as opposed to this one? because of the bent rod? the motor runs fine other than the slight miss on cylinder 4. the relative power balance test shows only a 2% loss in power from that cylinder, due to the piston not reachin full TDC.

gumby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 08:41 AM
1st Gear Poster

Why buy a broke engine unless you plan on pulling it apart and rebuilding it with forged internals? If that is the case, then buy away, but from the sound of your first post, you sound like you will be trying to do a simple swap and forget. However, with this engine, you will not be forgetting anything ... problems WILL ARISE! You said that the engine was submerged in water ... engines are not water tight and you will have more problems than just a bent rod I can gaurentee! Stay away from this engine unless you plan on a full overhaul with new internals.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 12:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Here here...

If that puppies been under water for any length of time you may have more than motor problems. I would say that the transmission and rear end could have problems.

If you must, join the club call Dan Newman and get a new 99 PI motor (it has forged internals), a new truck transmission and a 3.73 rear-end. Throw in an exhaust and you will have one heck of a car. Not cheep though...

J.Miller
East Coast Rolling Thunder!!!!
Official Eastern and Central PA chapter of the SCCoA!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by MyCarMods
Why buy a broke engine unless you plan on pulling it apart and rebuilding it with forged internals?
b/c it looked like a cheaper alternative to buyin a new motor, and a better place to start with mods than a +100K motor that may be in the bird i buy. i couldnt buy a set of PI heads for what it would cost me to get this whole motor.
my main interest was to find out any advantages the '02 motor would have over a 94-95.
it was not completely submerged. i apologize that i gave that impression. i have reread my post, and that is how it apears. it only pulled in water through the intake. jus enough to stall the #4 piston and bend that rod. hell, i have seen rods in 4.6's bend during checks here in the shop where the injector driver failed and was filling a cylinder with fuel... since #4 is always the first cylinder to fill up on any type of water injestion, i know that the water never made it any further into the motor.
i plan to pull this motor apart if i do buy it, so what gains would i be able to expect from an '02 PI motor in a 94-95 bird? i believe would be easier to switch the motor over to the t-birds electronics, i.e. coil packs and return-style fuel system. maybe use a bullit intake?

gumby
post #7 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 03:00 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

low milage PI engines can be found for around $2K. someone got one recently for $1000. keep your eyes open on our classifieds, and stang ones too.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in