Total cost of 32V Cobra engine swap? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Question Total cost of 32V Cobra engine swap?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to go by supercharging my 97 Bird or swapping in a 99 Cobra 32V DOHC. I want to go with what will gain me the most power for the least amout of cash. If anyone knows the total cost of the DOHC swap please let me know. Also if there is anything that can be done myself before said swap please let me know. Thanks, any and all information that can be provided will be appreciated.

Nick in St.Louis

DK 57 "Forever a Cardinal"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 09:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 4 Cam Bird
Basically, the cost of the swap depends on what you can get a motor for and how much of the work you are doing yourself and what you are doing for a tranny. It will also make a difference in what you actually get with the motor, if you get the motor only, it will cost a lot more than you are planning because you are going to need some wiring, if you get the harness and the motor, you still have to do a lot of wire splicing but atleast you have everything there to start with so you don't have to buy things that would be in the harness as you go a long. If you stick with the 4R70W I think you problaby need a Mark VIII PCM. If you are going with a manual tranny you will have to buy the manually tranny but the Cobra PCM will work just fine. I am going to say you can't do it for under $1500. And to do it that low would be finding a motor cheap and doing all the work yourself. I would say you should by no means expect to be able to do it that cheaply though. That does include exhaust too in the rock bottom swap price. And once again, if you can do it for that I will be surprised. If you check back for I dunno, the last 10 days, or just search in this section for my posts, you will see where these figures come from.

Former owner of 94 Bird with DOHC 4.6L swapped from a mark VIII

2011 CTS-V Wagon
1968 Torino was an original 289, C4, fully documented numbers matching car. Now: DOHC 4.6L/T-56 swapped, Cobra intake, IMRC delete, BBK long tubes and H pipe. Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, 9" rear with TrueTrac and 4.11's.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 07:24 PM
1st Gear Poster

PCM for Cobra

I am going to have Dennis Reinhart re-flash the computer in my '96 T-Bird so that it will work with the '99 Cobra I am installing. He says he will charge $250 for this service. (See posting for "Project Snake Bite" for pictures of my motor and car)

Project Snake Bite - some assembly required

You cannot use a Mark VIII computer in a T-Bird because of the anti-theft feature that requires a code to be sent from the starter key/ignition switch combo to the computer before it will allow the engine to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 10:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

You can't use a MarK VIII PCM in a T-Bird, huh? Funny, I seem to be able to start my car every morning, no anti theft equipment present.

2011 CTS-V Wagon
1968 Torino was an original 289, C4, fully documented numbers matching car. Now: DOHC 4.6L/T-56 swapped, Cobra intake, IMRC delete, BBK long tubes and H pipe. Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, 9" rear with TrueTrac and 4.11's.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 10:30 AM
1st Gear Poster

PCM for Cobra

This is what I was told by a person who actually tried it. Maybe there are different versions of Mark VIII PCM's that have different requirements.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 04:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

That could be, I just got a kick out of you telling me that I can't do something that I am doing and works fine. Just trying to prevent misinformation.

2011 CTS-V Wagon
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 04:48 PM
Mushroom Stamp Layer

and if you dont' believe it....yes he does have a Mark8 motor in his car and it works...
http://members.tccoa.com/seabass55/brad/
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 04:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

And if you don't believe I am running the Mark PCM, talk to Dan, the guy I just sold the stock Thunderbird PCM to. Not sure what Dan goes by on here though.

2011 CTS-V Wagon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in