TCCoA Forums banner

Had a miss throught the speed range and at idle

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Lionbacker 
#1 ·
I had just fixed (I think) a 1443 problem. I replaced hoses, solenoid, sensor and canister (squirrels chewed the top off of it). Also registered a misfire on cylinder 6.

It started running rough and sometimes stalled. Then I got a code of rich on bank two along with another 1443. Okay, bought new plug wires, plugs and one coil pack. Put on the plugs and wires and checked cylinder 6 with a timing light. It was good (fired regularly). Checked cylinder 8 and it was misfiring. As you well know cylinder 6 and 8 are on different coil packs.

I took the coil pack that I bought and replaced the left (driver's side) coil pack to correct the cylinder 8 firing problem. Now cylinder 8 fires properly and the engine starts very well and it does not seem to be missing when I rev the engine. However, when I put it in gear, the car stalls. Also, I am now getting a rich on bank 1.

Is this a situation where I need to replace both coil packs? Can anyone suggest why I am getting these results?

Update: I replaced the original coil pack for my new coil pack and the stumble is back and I have a no fire on cylinder 8. Now, however, this arrangement also produces a stall when I put it in gear. I have checked around the coil pack to see if there is anything dislodged or broken and could find nothing. The only thing that I did was unplug and replug the three pronged connector for the coil pack.

See less See more
#4 ·
Sorry my bad wont fix a mis fire. If you swap the coil packs from side to side the the mis fire should move with the pack. Also did you check the line behind the throttle body and follow it all the way down? There are two more connecting sections that can rot out before you get to the sensor for the canister.

#5 ·
I'm not so worried about the 1443 code unless it ties into the other problem I'm having - that of the engine stalling when I put it in gear. It just started stalling when I changed a coil pack. However when I reinstalled the old coil pack, the engine still stalls upon putting the car in gear. :zdunno: Do I have to pull fuse 15 before the computer can relearn or re adapt to the system?

If your suggestion of pulling fuse 15 was for purposes of clearing the codes, my code scanner does that for me after reading the codes three times so I did remove those codes.

Back to the 1443 code problem, yes, I did trace the line back to the intake. However, I never found the "T" that many complain of. Maybe not all 96's have that "T".

#8 ·
Okay, here is my reasoning. All of this started with a 1443 code and a misfire on cylinder 6. Cleared those codes and then got a rich code on bank two. I installed all new spark wires and plugs. I then connected my inductive timing light to each cylinders wires and found cylinder 8 was getting no spark despite my verifying proper connections to the plug and the coil pack. Note that the rich code on bank two is the same bank as cylinder 6 and 8.

I replaced the coil pack that supplied spark to cylinder 8. Now cylinder 8 fires. Cylinder 6 (the one registering misfire) does not connect to the same coil pack as cylinder 8. This is when I started getting the problem where the car idled fine in park but would die when put in gear. I did however get the car to drive but after a short distance, I got a CEL. The code was rich on both banks. Since both coil packs fire both banks, I figured to replace the other coil pack (the one that supplies cylinder 6).

Since I was getting a rich condition, I figured I didn't have a vacuum leak (should cause lean condition), I doubt that the fuel injectors were supplying more fuel, so unburned fuel would likely be caused by lack of spark.

The only other likely possibility would be that the misfires would be caused by lack of oxygen but then I would expect to get lean conditions in the banks.

Note: My MAF and IAC were cleaned three days ago. I suppose it is possible that in my attempt to clean the IAC, I changed it's performance which may be causing my engine to die when I place it in gear.:zdunno:

So, what do you think?

#9 ·
For the benefit of those who may view this thread after having similar problems, I supply the following:

I think my staling (when I put it in gear) and rich conditions on both banks after replacing one of my coil packs, was related to my cleaning of the IAC. Some say that type of IAC cannot be cleaned; it destroys the valve. However, after exercising the IAC by putting the car in gear and then in neutral 20 or 30 times, my vehicle recovered and I've not had a rich condition since.

I hope this helps someone else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.