4.6L questions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Question 4.6L questions

i have one issue as of right now my car leaves good off the line, but lets say at 35 mph i give it the gas there is a short lag befor she wants to go. i do have a exhaust manifold leak and im wondering if that may be an issue? other than that my air/fuel ratio says im running lean could i possible need more fuel? anyone got any ideas or suggestions? -Paul -95 4.6L V8 Thunderbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 03:03 AM
Voice/Data Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulyrats View Post
i have one issue as of right now my car leaves good off the line, but lets say at 35 mph i give it the gas there is a short lag befor she wants to go. i do have a exhaust manifold leak and im wondering if that may be an issue? other than that my air/fuel ratio says im running lean could i possible need more fuel? anyone got any ideas or suggestions? -Paul -95 4.6L V8 Thunderbird
I would get that problem fixed soon, Burned-up valve is bad news .

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 03:06 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
which wideband O2 setup are you running?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChecken View Post
I would get that problem fixed soon, Burned-up valve is bad news .
yes, that will be fixed as soon as i get home, ive been out of town but i have the gasket waiting for me at home, well actually gaskets, im going to change both while im in there. lol
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
which wideband O2 setup are you running?
to be honest im not sure.
i put the gauge in just to see whats going on since i opened up the air flow,and to see where i needed to go from there?
the car has o2 sensors from the factory

what do you think i need to do?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 05:51 AM
PostWhore

Garage
have the regular maintenance things been done? MAF clean, fuel filter, can of seafoam in the tank, plugs wires, vacuum leak check, mercV trans fluid change, deep sump trans pan/filter?

otherwise my 95 was always like that, pretty laggy downshifts, horrible off the line get-up-and-go. but i knew my trans was smoked. first gear was sticky and wasn't fully engaging all the time. once in a blue moon she would go like a stabbed rat

fixed most of that with the 97 MK8 trans and a jmod. the acceleration lag was the horrible aluminum intake.

if your downshifts and stuff are sticky, or slow, its most likely the 95 trans. their not known for the best valve-body's, one way clutches, torque convertors, oil pan setups, or really anything for that matter.

if its low millage, (100k or down) get the mercV in their and a 96+ pan/filter and hope for the best. even if its not your current problem, it can only make for a better running longer lasting trans. otherwise be prepared for that thing to shell out and require a 98+ swap, harness repin, and 95 TCC solenoid.

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nall_one View Post
have the regular maintenance things been done? MAF clean, fuel filter, can of seafoam in the tank, plugs wires, vacuum leak check, mercV trans fluid change, deep sump trans pan/filter?

otherwise my 95 was always like that, pretty laggy downshifts, horrible off the line get-up-and-go. but i knew my trans was smoked. first gear was sticky and wasn't fully engaging all the time. once in a blue moon she would go like a stabbed rat

fixed most of that with the 97 MK8 trans and a jmod. the acceleration lag was the horrible aluminum intake.

if your downshifts and stuff are sticky, or slow, its most likely the 95 trans. their not known for the best valve-body's, one way clutches, torque convertors, oil pan setups, or really anything for that matter.

if its low millage, (100k or down) get the mercV in their and a 96+ pan/filter and hope for the best. even if its not your current problem, it can only make for a better running longer lasting trans. otherwise be prepared for that thing to shell out and require a 98+ swap, harness repin, and 95 TCC solenoid.
well i opened up the MAF like it said on the newbie sticky fourm, i have seafomed, new plugs and wires, and just had my trans rebuilt! car only has 59,XXX miles!

But fuel filter and vacuum leak.. no.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 06:45 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Are you sure the "short lag" before it takes off isn't the delay caused by the transmission downshifting out of OD? If you nail it in 4th gear it won't go anywhere until it downshifts. Getting into and out of OD are the worst shifts for the 4R70W. Try it with O/D cancel on and see if it improves.

How do you know you are running lean?

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 155k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
well i usally have O/D off but tried it with O/D on can definitly see a difference... but thats not the problem im havin.
air/fuel ratio gauge.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulyrats View Post
to be honest im not sure.
i put the gauge in just to see whats going on since i opened up the air flow,and to see where i needed to go from there?
the car has o2 sensors from the factory

what do you think i need to do?
What do you mean "opened up the airflow"? You don't have a wideband O2 if you've got factory sensors, so what did you tie the AFR gauge to?

Factory O2s aren't an indication of whether you're running lean, unless you've got a fault code. You need a wideband to know what your AFRs are actually doing.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 155k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
What do you mean "opened up the airflow"? You don't have a wideband O2 if you've got factory sensors, so what did you tie the AFR gauge to?

Factory O2s aren't an indication of whether you're running lean, unless you've got a fault code. You need a wideband to know what your AFRs are actually doing.
air silencer delete, CAI, MAF cut and drilled out
this gauge was just a cheapy on ebay the instructions actually had me splice into the 02 sensor wire i thought it was kinda weird but it did seem to work just says running lean

any suggestions as far as what wideband 02setup to go with?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:10 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Don't worry about using a wideband. I thought you had one but I was mistaken.

The gauge you bought is not a "true" air fuel ratio kit, because "ratio" implies numbers, and I'm pretty sure yours just has flashing lights.

I'm sorry to hear that you cut out and drilled your maf housing. You should have come to the forums and asked for advice in an introductory post because generally we now know its a bad thing to do such a modification; that tech article info was written looooooong ago. Unfortunately we're not responsible for it either because it was your own free will and this is not a paid service for aftermarket vehicle modifications. I would suggest looking for another stock maf housing so you can place your stock maf sensor in there.

Now as far as your exhaust leak, you need to fix that before you try and do anything else. You'll end up chasing your own tail if you dont fix it. Dont worry about ANY modifications what so ever and pay even less attention to that gauge you bought until you fix that leak.

As far as the transmission, just because you had it rebuilt don't mean squat here because we know what kind of POS these stock transmissions are. The lag you are attempting to describe could be anything. If you want real advice either A. at least get a video of it or B. Just take it to a professional transmission shop---preferably the one that just did the rebuild.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
Don't worry about using a wideband. I thought you had one but I was mistaken.

The gauge you bought is not a "true" air fuel ratio kit, because "ratio" implies numbers, and I'm pretty sure yours just has flashing lights.

I'm sorry to hear that you cut out and drilled your maf housing. You should have come to the forums and asked for advice in an introductory post because generally we now know its a bad thing to do such a modification; that tech article info was written looooooong ago. Unfortunately we're not responsible for it either because it was your own free will and this is not a paid service for aftermarket vehicle modifications. I would suggest looking for another stock maf housing so you can place your stock maf sensor in there.

Now as far as your exhaust leak, you need to fix that before you try and do anything else. You'll end up chasing your own tail if you dont fix it. Dont worry about ANY modifications what so ever and pay even less attention to that gauge you bought until you fix that leak.

As far as the transmission, just because you had it rebuilt don't mean squat here because we know what kind of POS these stock transmissions are. The lag you are attempting to describe could be anything. If you want real advice either A. at least get a video of it or B. Just take it to a professional transmission shop---preferably the one that just did the rebuild.
yea like i said was just a cheapy, but okay great thanks for all the info and ill be getting a new MAF thanks for lettin me know thats no big deal but the exhaust leak i know it sucks ill be working on that in just a couple weeks okay anything i could have done to improve that trans?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Yup, you could have saved up all that rebuild money, thrown your transmission in the trash dumpster after doing a few deadlift reps with it (so you at least get something out of it for your benefit) and bough a 99+ 4R70W and jerryfied it (no joke), or have some one jerryfy it for you. Best thing you could ever do for these cars.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
hahah well that stinks i could have used the exercise!
atleast i didnt pay anything crazy. and ill keep that in mind if this one takes a dump again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in