cylinder head options. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

cylinder head options.

I'm in the middle of doing the hg on my 97 lx bird. I'd like to upgrade the hg's some how but can't find the 99 mustang heads in the seattle area. are there any other heads that can be used for increased performance besides the mustang heads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 05:16 PM
4th Gear Poster

99-04 mustang gt, 01-04 crown Vic, 01-04 grand marquis, 01-04 explorer, and 01-04 mountaineer heads are the same pi design might be more.

Doesn't matter if its 4.6 or 5.4 the heads are the same the blocks and intakes are the difference just make sure the engine is 2v

You'll need a pi intake manifold the pi block nipple and the pi coolant tube too so you won't have to Rtv the coolant ports

Last edited by msp252; 06-16-2013 at 05:28 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Panther cars got PI heads until at least 2010.

You might want to read a certain sticky AT MINIMUM to know the differences between romeo and Windsor PI heads, or you could get stuck between a rock and a hard place while youre doing your HG swap.

I don't know if msp252 is leaving this info out on purpose, but I am because I purposely wanna freak you out at the thought of being in the middle of a head swap and realizing you're stuck without knowing what to do, because you didn't do enough research on swapping to PI heads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by msp252 View Post

You'll need a pi intake manifold the pi block nipple and the pi coolant tube too so you won't have to Rtv the coolant ports
Would the intake manifold or any parts u mentioned here be found on the donor vehicle? Rtv?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 06:40 PM
PostWhore

Garage
the manifold yes, and the coolant tube, but the nipple will have to be new from ford and requires water pump removal to knock out the old one and pop in the new one.

explorer PI intakes i want to say are the ones without the coolant nipple in the back of the intake.

and RTV means room temperature vulcanizing silicone. its a gasket material, comes in a tube. their were slight differences in the intake coolant ports from NPI to PI that required RTV to seal and not leak coolant on top of the motor.

just make sure if you do grab a used intake, that its not a dorman, and its not cracked anywhere. dormans are complete crap, and cracks, well that self explanatory.

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

so is the rtv just added to the gaskets when re-installing? btw, when I go to buy the new gaskets do I by the ones for my car or the donor car?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 08:08 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiecurbside View Post
so is the rtv just added to the gaskets when re-installing? btw, when I go to buy the new gaskets do I by the ones for my car or the donor car?
RTV is used only when using PI gaskets on NPI heads - you're talking about swapping heads, so I don't understand why you need RTV at all! Use PI gaskets - buy new since they are cheap enough; they look like this:

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 11:42 PM
4th Gear Poster

Also be careful with the PI heads as they are commonly known for stripping of spark plug threads, also have you considered e-bay and craigslist, it might be easier than going to the junkyard and fighting removing the intake or exhaust manifolds and timing cover, pulleys and all the other work just to get your PI heads and Intake, you will probably waste most of your day fighting with it. I have seen them on e-bay all cleaned up and relatively decent all ready to go and some with intakes too for not much money and I bet that beats fighting to pull them in the junkyard anyday my 2 cents.

Craigslist might be even cheaper. If these areas don't pan out then I would consider junkyard, but good luck finding low mileage motors there, as most low mile motors get pulled for selling and the rest of the ones that are above 140K go back for parts pulling.

The benefits of online is Mustang guys sometimes sell theirs off lower mileage mustangs and the valves and cams look pretty clean because unlike crown vic owners and so on they are a little more on top of their maitnance because they really like their car and it is more than daily transportation.

Just something to consider if you like your car why cheap out in the first place?

97 Thunderbird LX 4.6 sohc, 60,000 original miles and lots of room for improvement.... All show and no go for now...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 12:16 AM
2nd Gear Poster

also if you pull your heads from the junkyard make sure you know the difference between Romeo's and Windsor's. The windsor heads were on 99 and 00 mustangs I believe and will work with modifications to the timing chain cover and different valve covers. If your willing to do that I happen to have a pair of Windsor's I mistakenly bought on craigs list with 30,000 alleged miles on them. On visual inspection I believe it and I'm in the Tacoma area send me a pm if your interested.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in