P0430 Code - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Goldthunder
P0430 Code

My car threw this code twice on me on Saturday. SES light came on so I stopped at O'Reilly's, pulled the code. P0430. (no other codes) I was on my way to Wenatchee so I erased the code and it came back right about 100 miles later. No noticable probs otherwise, ran great, mileage didnt seem to suffer. I had the cats replaced a year and a half ago, Have replaced both pre cat O2's (in the past 5 yrs) and have heard that the rear O2's really dont affect much, so they are the originals. My question is: WTH?? Should i replace the rear O2's?? I have a hard time believing my cats are bad....they might have 20K on them. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
The rear O2 sensors are basically checking to make sure your CATS are working. With this code I'd try and replace the rear O2 sensor first if it seems to be really old, clear the CEL and see if it comes back. If the CEL comes back then you need to look at the CAT itself.

What kind of CATS are they? Good quality or cheap replacement? Cheap CATS only last for a short while. First try and get ahold of a scanner to check the voltage of the front and rear banks to see the voltage pattern. Let your engine get to operating temp. Check your front O2 sensor voltage. It will drop down and up from 0.100 to around 0.800 volts quickly while the rear O2 sensor should keep a steady slow voltage with NO down and up voltage pattern. IF your rear O2 sensor has an up and down voltage pattern like the front O2 sensor then you have a bad CAT.

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
either the cat is not working properly, or you have an exhaust leak that developed when the cats were replaced. Or the sensor is bad.

Switch the sensor to the other side, and vice versa. Then clear the code. If the code comes back on the same bank, then it's either the cat or leak or both. If the code goes to the other bank, then it's the sensor malfunctioning.

Worse case scenario, if it comes back on the same side after you switch the O2, you could have compromised wiring that comes from the bulkhead connector, or worse a bad PCM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I dont remember the name brand on the CATs...i want to say they are Magnaflows....again, cant be sure. I had a reputable muffler shop do the work. (or so I thought they were reputable) I remember seeing all the cats they had for sale there....and I think they were all good names. IMCO was another name i remember. I'll start with the rear O2's and go from there. Im pretty sure there are no leaks. When its chilly in the morning I'll give a look under the car. Thanks guys.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 07:07 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthunder View Post
I dont remember the name brand on the CATs...i want to say they are Magnaflows....again, cant be sure. I had a reputable muffler shop do the work. (or so I thought they were reputable) I remember seeing all the cats they had for sale there....and I think they were all good names. IMCO was another name i remember. I'll start with the rear O2's and go from there. Im pretty sure there are no leaks. When its chilly in the morning I'll give a look under the car. Thanks guys.
Also check the harness the O2 sensor plugs into, Because the coating on the wire dries out and the wire touch and get corrosion on them and throw a code also. I have replaced both front O2 pigtails.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 07:33 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I have replaced cats after a year at my shop. They fail inspection and they go get basic cats, then the next year they fail again, lol. I have okay luck with magnaflow when we install them. If you have scanner that has live data, check the rear and front o2 reading. If the numbers change at the same time then the cat is done. The front ones should change fast and more often than the rear. If the rear ones don't move much then you probably have bad rear o2. I have had a rear o2 go bad and still read.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I replaced both downstream O2 sensors last night and cleared the codes. So we'll see if/what comes back code wise. Also got P0401...EGR low flow. EGR and DPFE have both been replaced in the last 6 months. Took the TB off and cleaned the passage that had a considerable amount of carbon in it. Is there any where else I should be looking for carbon buildup?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
A broken vacuum line or reduced vacuum via a vacuum leak will cause insufficient flow.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 05:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
The rear o2's mimic the front o2's voltage, but on a much lower scale. They do change voltage, but not like the front o2's with a good catalytic converter.

Aftermarket cats arent nearly as good as factory ones, not as much catalyst inside - theres a reason why they cost upwards of $1000 from the dealership, and $200 for an aftermarket.

Ford vehicles usually have a very high threshold in the PCM programming for setting the P0430 catalyst efficiency codes, upwards of 40%.

If your cats are still good, you could install some spark plug non-foulders in between the exaust pipe and o2 sensor to pull them away from the exhaust stream, this usually makes the code not come back. But if you fail on the sniffer, your cats are no good.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Dont have to do the sniffer here, they just plug a scanner into the OBD port. So far no code for the cats, but the P0401 code popped up today, so i guess I'll be checking vacuum lines since DPFE and EGR are both less than 6 months old.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 12:23 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Check the vacuum lines that go to the EGR components .. EGR vacuum to EVR solenoid, EVR to main vac.

Check the EVR solenoid for operation / free flow when its turned on - and that the PCM is sending a siganal to turn it on, I have seen faulty PCM's not be able to operate the EVR and set a DTC

Check the sampling hoses that goto the DPFE, they could be installed incorrectly ( different sizes, but I have seen it done before ), and fully connected to the DPFE and EGR tube. Make sure either hose isnt restricted.

Check the EGR tube, there is a small orifice between the two lines that goto the DPFE that can get clogged with carbon also.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Update. Went on a trip last weekend and SES light was on 98% of the time. It went out briefly on Saturday as I was cruising around town, then came back on. Today it went out and as of yet hasnt come back on. Confident to say the new rear O2 sensors took care of the CAT code. Oh, and managed to get 24mpg the whole trip. Mostly interstate driving, doing anywhere between 60 and 100mph. (I was chasing a Bimmer, hehe). I dont think thats too bad. I had fun. LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in