01 gt motor - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

01 gt motor

Will a 01 gt motor be good for a pi swap onto my 95 tbird? I've been reading on here and found some mixed info on the 01 specifically. The motor I'm looking at has lower end noise but only has 60k miles so it should be a decent candidate if the parts swap. Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 07:08 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Lower end noise on an 01 is likely to be tensioner guide related, in one way or another.

Plastic tensioners, no latch, and crumbly plastic guides. Search, there are pix all over the web, in all the "Donor Vehicles" forums.

I did this to my 03 engine:

There is an even later revision to the guides; get the latest ones. I'll replace them when I take the cover off to do cams, lol.

If The tensioner guide is making the noise, damage May be minimal, and the whole engine is ok.

If it died due to oil pressure, then the heads are toast, as well as it having (probably) rod knock due to dead bearings...

Pieces of the guide clogging the intake have been found in early PI engines; the heads are Way more oil sensitive than the lower end.

If the lower end was waste, the cam journals are too. YMMV.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

That's all good to know thanks for that info, but mainly now I am just trying to confirm that this engine will have the correct heads/intake to upgrade my 95 providing the heads and all on the gt are in good shape. The price is right for me to take a chance so if the stuff fits I'll buy it and then tear it down and check it out.

On a side note I didn't think this was my first post here. I'm over on sccoa more I have a 89 SC modded and a 95 LX V8 with only 48k miles all stock minus rims and tires/tint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
It will have PI heads and intake for sure. Since it is a complete engine everything is already bolted together. All you need is the usual "PI intake swap" stuff for your 95.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 08:55 PM
PostWhore

Garage
yep, take her down to the block and heads
check the lower end bearings for play
look up inside the bores for scoring
pop off the cams and check the journals
replace the chains guides and tensioners(and yes, avoid the all plastic guides, some good pics here http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/....php?p=1826146)
then reseal everything back up with new gaskets and seals
then stuff her in and see what happens

heck, couldn't hurt to just replace the bearings on the crank while your down their.
new oil pump wouldn't hurt either.

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars

Last edited by nall_one; 07-30-2013 at 09:07 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

I'm not planning on swapping the motor... just a head swap, my motor sounds new still only 48k miles
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 10:03 PM
PostWhore

Garage
ah, well its still 18 years old, rubber seals don't last forever. but if your going that direction have the heads worked over and machined smooth. new head bolts, all that stuff.

then take a look through http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=136894

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 10:43 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by joewit View Post
I'm not planning on swapping the motor... just a head swap, my motor sounds new still only 48k miles
It is possible that it may be a Windsor 4.6. 99s and 00's had them for sure, but there is always some overlap when engines switch, so there is a tiny chance it will not be a Romeo engine. Check the casting # on the heads then compare them to the casting #s from the Sticky in this very forum.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
It is possible that it may be a Windsor 4.6. 99s and 00's had them for sure, but there is always some overlap when engines switch, so there is a tiny chance it will not be a Romeo engine. Check the casting # on the heads then compare them to the casting #s from the Sticky in this very forum.
And Windsor would be the non-compatible ones correct? I'm gonna be checking the motor out Friday.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 12:21 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewit View Post
And Windsor would be the non-compatible ones correct? I'm gonna be checking the motor out Friday.
No. Read the sticky in this forum that pertains to this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

I can't find any info in the sticky about casting numbers. Only things I find say differences you can see inside the motor.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

If they are Windsor heads (13 bolts for valve covers instead of 11) then you need to drill out some of the front cover bolt holes and make sure you get the bolts from the donor, and obviously the valve covers that are on it.

Luckily this is still a forum and not just a reference site, but a search here and on other mod motor sites the information is easy to find.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in