Rough running bird.... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Question Rough running bird....

My 96 T-bird recently started giving me fits by not wanting to idle or run at all.... I had to break down and take it to a local shop that supposedly builds hot rods for a number of local area motor heads. They diagnosed that my idle air control sensor or valve was bad, so I had them replace it. When I picked the car up, they advised me that I will need to replace the mass airflow sensor at the air filter intake, as well as both the upstream and downstream O2 sensors in the exhaust system (all of which they will be more than happy to do for a pretty penny). Even after paying them to replace the idle air control sensor, the car still would not idle or drive until we took the leads off and disconnected that mass airflow sensor. I was able to get it home so I could start researching some of this on my own....
And according to the shop that did the initial work, I only have two of the O2 sensors to replace, but according to several other sources I have since found, Ford installed two per cylinder bank for the 4.6L V8, which is a great engine, by the way.... But I can't confirm how many of the O2 sensors I may be needing to replace....
Today I replaced the mass airflow sensor, and if the mechanic did in fact change the idle air control sensor, I thought I would see an improvement in how the engine was running, but it is back to where it was before any work was done.... I am stumped...
I can keep it running if I put it in neutral and keep the revs up while at stop lights, but it will stall during braking and if I don't get the trans into neutral at stop lights. I am also getting a flashing O/D warning light from how rough it runs while driving.
How long or how far should I have to drive it before the onboard computer senses the new parts and resets itself??
Do any of you members out there have any ideas where I should go in my repair work to get my sweet Thunderbird purring again???
Fuel filter?? Fuel pump?? those pesky O2 sensors?? Like I said, I am pretty well stumped and have no idea where to go next with it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 12:28 AM
PostWhore

I think the mechanic got the diagnosis wrong. Or at least incomplete.

Is the Check Engine light on? Did you get a readout of any trouble codes from the mechanic?

The car shouldn't have to adjust to new parts. Something is definitely going on.

A test of fuel pressure and a test for vacuum leaks would be another good thing to check, but check for trouble codes first.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 12:33 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Not enough details about maintenance, mileage, recently changed parts, how long the problem has been occuring, etc.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 06:47 AM

well my 94 had a problem like this one time. rule of thumb if you unplug it and nothing change then its probably bad. my maf was unplug for about 6 months cause I was too lazy to replace it. but then I had a huge vac leak that would kill everytime. I bet that's whats wrong. check all the vac lines. I just come across this and I plan on doing it soon.

http://www.mn12tech.com/vacuum-hose-replacement.php
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 09:42 AM
PostWhore

Garage

and you have 4 O2's, the forward ones are the ones that really do work, and the ones out back behind the cats are just for a check engine light. change all 4 if you want, but i would clean that MAF first. and if all else fails go buy a MOTORCRAFT MAF sensor from the dealer. avoid all the remand A1 cardones, or even the 'new' A1's... an engine running fine with the MAF unplugged is a sure sign of a dirty or failed MAF. the ECM is falling back too stored factory running tables for fuel mixtures known to run the engine.

and you could also try spraying some of that sensor cleaner around your intake and vacuum lines. if your RPM changes, you have a leak in that spot, start changing all your 18 year old vacuum lines with the link above.

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars

Last edited by nall_one; 08-10-2013 at 09:50 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
$20 says you have a vacuum leak somewhere. That would cause the stalling, rough running, O2 sensor codes, MAF sensor codes, and someone who doesn't know how to diagnose it would just see all those codes and say you need all those parts. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but if you feel like trying to tackle it yourself, get a can of carb cleaner and start spraying the various vaccuum lines. When you spray near a vacuum leak, you will be able to hear the rpms rise. If you can't figure it out, time to find a shop that knows what they are doing.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in