Help. EEC fuse blowing when car warms up - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Help. EEC fuse blowing when car warms up

I have no excuse for this situation. I have done the full 4.6 DOHC and TR3650 5 speed swap done. It was running great, no check engine lights or anything and I was out on a 2 hour drive last weekend and I stopped to let it cool for a little bit. I get back on it and ya know, im shifting hard through first and second. I shift into second and about half way through the pull my car just shuts off and stands me and my girl an hour away from home. All it was doing was cranking and wont turn over. Didn't know it was a EEC fuse at the time. But yes its the EEC fuse and it keeps blowing when the car warms up. I can start it cold and run it but it blows. When its still warm and I try to crank it with a new fuse it blows as soon as I turn the key.. I have no wires running near the headers or anything to drastically hot. Iv checked wires and I cant seem to figure this out.
You think my ECU is bad and I need to replace it? Id have to get one sent to blue oval and get it tuned for everything I have again.

Mark8Thunder
Matt, Blue Macaw
95 Tbird with Mark VIII motor, TR3650 5 speed, 97 front conversion. 97 Body Kit, Ram Air hood, Galaxy Blue pearl paint, Shaved deck lid, 3.73 gears, Fully rebuilt from ground up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Get your alternator checked to see if its putting out too much ac ripple when warm.

Rip apart your power and ground wires for greenish corrosion.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

How can I get that checked? Will I have to take it off and bring it to a autozone or something?

I have no corrosion. Just finished putting her back together and running fully that sunday lol.

Mark8Thunder
Matt, Blue Macaw
95 Tbird with Mark VIII motor, TR3650 5 speed, 97 front conversion. 97 Body Kit, Ram Air hood, Galaxy Blue pearl paint, Shaved deck lid, 3.73 gears, Fully rebuilt from ground up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark8Thunder View Post
How can I get that checked? Will I have to take it off and bring it to a autozone or something?

I have no corrosion. Just finished putting her back together and running fully that sunday lol.
Yup.

so you sliced up the insulation on your wires to check already??
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

I haven't done that just yet. Been tracing around to wires I know are just electrical taped over. Need to do some soldering for those but I still don't see anything wrong.

You happen to know what the AC ripple when warm should be?

Mark8Thunder
Matt, Blue Macaw
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Had the alternator tested and everything is good.

Mark8Thunder
Matt, Blue Macaw
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Also with tests today. My car is blowing the fuse at the turn of the key without the car being warmed up. Cold start.

Mark8Thunder
Matt, Blue Macaw
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 07:55 PM
The Parts Guy

Quote:
Been tracing around to wires I know are just electrical taped over. Need to do some soldering for those but I still don't see anything wrong.
You neglected to mention those on Facebook. What circuits are just taped together?

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Also with tests today. My car is blowing the fuse at the turn of the key without the car being warmed up. Cold start.
sounds like one of your taped or untaped wires is shorting to ground. I know you just want us to give you the "answer", but the reality is that you need to go over every centimeter with a fine-tooth comb.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 05:10 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
As GM said, you have to go over everything you did, because you're the only one that know what that was.

The insulation that was only shorting when it was hot, is now shorted permanently; I'd look there.

I'd bet it's one of the wires that gets powered up by the eec itself, but only when the key is in the on or run position; from the blown EEC fuse thing.

I think that's about the best we can do from here.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in