Dreaded constant fan - no fuel pump - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Dreaded constant fan - no fuel pump

searched and read previous posts till my eyes blurred. Replaced a relay in the CCRM no diff. Replaced CCRM no diff. Wiggled and jiggled every part of the harness nothing changes, see no burnt or exposed wires anywhere. Ran new ground to PCM nothing.
I do have these 2 sockets under the main fuse box by the battery is there supposed to be something plugged into them..........excuse the bad pic.

Long Time
Thanks
Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

you're right thought I was in the 4.6 sorry

Rich

Thank you for moving it

Last edited by RichJura; 10-20-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Those are just the sensor plugs for the coolant level sensors(Only used on cars with the VMM option)

-Matt
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Thanks that puts a small part of my mind at ease.

Rich
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichJura View Post
you're right thought I was in the 4.6 sorry

Rich

Thank you for moving it
you "were" in the 4.6 forum, which is why I moved it.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
you "were" in the 4.6 forum, which is why I moved it.
Guess I should have been clearer, this is my wifes 1996 4.6 I'm having trouble with ;-)

Rich
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 09:50 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

When the key is in the key on, run position (but it isn't running) the fan runs all the time, and what is the SES/CEL (Check Engine) light doing, is it on or off?

If it is off, then you need to check the wiring to the DPFE or that runs near it. It is a couple of wires off the main harness off the back of the engine near the center of the passenger side.

That MIGHT be it. Mine failed there and a few others have also had the failure. The wires had all the insulation burned off, and when they cross it behaved like this. I was crazy enough to drive mine like that, but it would always die on me in bad times, so I unwrapped the harness (these should be in braided heat resistant sheathing) and cut, added shrink wrap, soldered, and all was good.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster View Post
When the key is in the key on, run position (but it isn't running) the fan runs all the time, and what is the SES/CEL (Check Engine) light doing, is it on or off?

If it is off, then you need to check the wiring to the DPFE or that runs near it. It is a couple of wires off the main harness off the back of the engine near the center of the passenger side.

That MIGHT be it. Mine failed there and a few others have also had the failure. The wires had all the insulation burned off, and when they cross it behaved like this. I was crazy enough to drive mine like that, but it would always die on me in bad times, so I unwrapped the harness (these should be in braided heat resistant sheathing) and cut, added shrink wrap, soldered, and all was good.
will have to check what the light is doing, appreciate the insight.
can't get back to it till the weekend.

Thanks
Rich
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 08:17 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichJura View Post
Guess I should have been clearer, this is my wifes 1996 4.6 I'm having trouble with ;-)

Rich
You should have. Didn't mention it at all.

Back to 4.6, lol.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 12:05 AM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster View Post

...and if the fan runs constantly, the engine doesn't shut off...and the CEL isn't on, this means...?

Yes, I hate my Lincoln. Ask me about it sometime.

My Drivetribe garbage:
https://drivetribe.com/u/ivrqNaWFWj_...SaGpcKvLTz6v9w

My LarryLand Automotive Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Larry...61642343862942

My Scribd.com garbage: http://www.scribd.com/larry_vanzandt
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 01:25 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

In my case, my 97 Cougar, after swapping in the PI intake, wouldn't start. I noted the SES light was never on, and the cooling fan was running constantly.

But my car would NEVER run as it wouldn't start. So I am not sure what engine never shutting off means and not likely related to this and never starting.

I thought it was the connector to the PCM, and when I finally dug into it, it magically fixed itself, so I drove it. But I would hit a bump or go around a corner too fast and it would die.

I found that if I grabbed and moved the main harness that the fan would stop running all the time, and it would run. So I started digging into the harness, and found the wires that I think go to the DPFE with no insulation and when they cross it wouldn't run.

If I get a chance tomorrow I will get some more pictures, the car is wrecked and sitting in my back yard waiting for me to have time to get a new front clip on it.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

well had folks come over this weekend so all we did was punch holes in paper and make applesauce at 50 yards. Will have to get back to it next weekend.

Thanks for the direction to look into, will let you know what I find.

Again Thanks
Rich
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

well I'm flummoxed, the check engine light does come on with ignition on. The fan runs instantly but no fuel pump action. I've wiggled and shook every wire I can find to no avail. That's top and bottom.
Looking for a pin out of the relay box on the passenger side behind the headlight.

Thanks for the pointers guys

Rich
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 09:28 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Not sure if you figured it out yet, but I have a 1995 4.6 tbird and there is a harness crossing in front of the battery. It looks like a bunch of ground wires, about 5 or so on one side of the connection and two on the other side. The two wire on my car are the most visible, one is bolted to the battery and one to the car. Anyway, if that connection is unplugged and you try to start your car, the fans will just run until you reconnect it or disconnect the battery. So maybe you might want to look around that are and check for a bad connection or wires.

1995 Tbird 4.6 sohc
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamler View Post
Not sure if you figured it out yet, but I have a 1995 4.6 tbird and there is a harness crossing in front of the battery. It looks like a bunch of ground wires, about 5 or so on one side of the connection and two on the other side. The two wire on my car are the most visible, one is bolted to the battery and one to the car. Anyway, if that connection is unplugged and you try to start your car, the fans will just run until you reconnect it or disconnect the battery. So maybe you might want to look around that are and check for a bad connection or wires.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out this weekend. Had two different CCRM units in it without any change in the symptoms.

Rich
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
FWIW, almost all of the older Fords I have had to replace PCMs on will turn on the fans KOEO and not start. I also cant even communicate with them using a scanner. Have you tried to scan it yet? If there is a no communication problem on top of these symptoms, I would suspect the PCM.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

well turned out to be the ECM unit, $50 at a local yard all's well and good now.

Appreciate all the pointers guys

Have a Merry Christmas

Rich

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in